Archived TM-TL-ETL? Or another route

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,
These sort of questions have been covered before I'm sure but maybe my situation is a tiny but different and I would very much appreciate your help and knowledge.
I'm currently a TM who is still in 90 day probationary period. I do already have an advanced degree. Nobody has brought up the possibility of my moving into a leadership position, though.
I've worked in eight different work centers so far, always come in if called, make certain to bring an excellent attitude to work, etc. Obviously I'd much prefer a salaried or at least a 'guaranteed' hours with benefits position. I saw a TL position advertised on main site, though of course I haven't passed my 90 days. There was also an ETL position in a nearby-ish town. I'm confused as what to do for development/ moving forward. Thank you for any tips on how to proceed!

To be considered for a TL position, I would say, in most cases you need to be the BEST TM in the area, for roughly 6-18 months. Under 90 days? You can talk about it, but it won't happen. You will usually be put on the "bench".

To be considered for an ETL position, you would need to go through the internship, or be an external hire. That's 97% of the ETL's these days.

The first thing you can do is show your TL/ETL that you have the interest in developing with the company.

TLs hours are guaranteed but not salaried. ETL's are salaried. In my experience, getting promoted from within is a lot harder (and slower) than say, quitting and getting rehired at a higher rank. My store leaders don't care about degrees; many team members have degrees but the turnover in leadership is very slow. However, ASANTS (all stores are not the same!) I would go for the ETL position if I were you if that's what you're shooting for.

If you have a great connection with your STL your chances of getting promoted quickly are a lot higher.

The thing is, you already interviewed. If you were ETL material, your ETL's that interviewed you(and possibly STL) would have noticed. If you were to be fast-tracked now, your STL would have to explain to their DTL why you were not ETL material during the first interview, but after less than 3 months you're ready to be an ETL.

Thank you all for replying. It really is unique per situation/store/ 'relationships' is what I'm gathering, from here and from experience. Makes it kind of hard to develop a plan or even a next step, which is what is stressful to me. One thing I'd like to get an opinion on is the 'global' situation. As I mentioned I work in 8 different areas. Which in a way is good but at the same time prevents a 'shine in one particular' area situation, which pretty much prevents a TL opportunity. I'd like to hear experiences/ perspectives on this from all levels of leadership and TMs. Anyone else in this situation? What do you think? Do you have a plan? Thanks!

The thing is, you already interviewed. If you were ETL material, your ETL's that interviewed you(and possibly STL) would have noticed. If you were to be fast-tracked now, your STL would have to explain to their DTL why you were not ETL material during the first interview, but after less than 3 months you're ready to be an ETL.

What does the bold phrase even mean? If by that you mean vapid, lazy, and aged 22-26 with a clean cut look and no leadership skills then yes I would agree that is what ETLs are made of.

Honestly I think being able to work 8 different work centers is really good especially if you want to be a TL. It shows you are a quick learner and flexible. Also helps you out if you are put on the bench. You will be able to pick from multiple TL positions vs someone who only knows how to work one work center.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back