Archived Training a New TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the next two weeks I am training a new GSTL. I met her on saturday and we started. I cannot stand the girl. She is rude, unfair, and lazy. I don't know how she is bothering me so much since i am training her but she's driving me crazy! Tonight we close together and i'm just dreading it. Yesterday I was showing her how to do a schedule and she doesn't like one of MY cashiers (she's not from this store) and she tried to tell me that that cashier didn't deserve any hours so i should only give her one day a week and was very angry with me when I didn't do it. I don't really understand what her problem is but i feel sorry for the store that she's going to!
On monday she refused to follow me around and just stood in front of the registers. When i told her she needed to be speedweaving and helping the cashiers as much as possible she ran to my ETL and said that I was being bossy. My ETL tried explaining to her that she needed to do what i was saying because she was being trained but she just rolled her eyes. My STL asked her how the training was going and she actually told him in front of me that she didn't know how i became a TL.
I know it's only two weeks and i will survive but any advice on how to knock some sense into this girl and get her to realize by her acting this way she's only going to make her team mad? I want to send her back to her store with the best training and to be the best TL but that's not working so far!

Wow...just...wow...I feel really bad for the store she is going to. Is she new at Target or has she been promoted from within?

Is she a new team lead or just new in role? Not that that's an excuse, but maybe she, like most tls, think that if you know how to cover a GSTL break, then you know how to be a GSTL. she might be bitter that she has to train at all.

Edit. Well my question was already asked. Oops. I'll keep my responce though because i had some other stuff in there too. Sorry!

Last edited:
She is new to the company and a new TL. She was a HR manager at the big blue store before coming here. I'm not really sure how she managed to work in HR with the attitude she has!

i would pull your stl aside and explain the difficulties you are facing. tell him/her how proactive you are being. i trained a new tl that was absolutely horrible. she was very hateful, but all sugar when the stl was around. drove me crazy. i can't believe how ugly she's being to you though!! and she does realize that assigning hours that way is against hr bp?

after training a new tl, i always send a recap to their etl and stl and their store. i tell them exactly what we covered, and give them honest feedback about the individual. i try to make sure it is well-written and positive, and they've always been really appreciative of it.

i would pull your stl aside and explain the difficulties you are facing. tell him/her how proactive you are being. i trained a new tl that was absolutely horrible. she was very hateful, but all sugar when the stl was around. drove me crazy. i can't believe how ugly she's being to you though!! and she does realize that assigning hours that way is against hr bp?

after training a new tl, i always send a recap to their etl and stl and their store. i tell them exactly what we covered, and give them honest feedback about the individual. i try to make sure it is well-written and positive, and they've always been really appreciative of it.

good advice, thank you!

Put everything you have into training her though.
Don't let the fact that she is a smeghead get in the way.
She might not take to any of it but at least she can't say you didn't provide her with the information and education, CYA and all that.
She sounds like one of those people who will blame their failings on other people.
And as always, when dealing with the petty and mean, document, document, document.

go get'em, dek! hopefully, she didnt finish her learning plan & didnt get any red cards. fast exit for her.

thanks guys! i think i needed to vent a little bit more than anything. Off to closing i go. This will be interesting!

If you have to do any documention for her training note everything. But other than that let her drown...if you tried to tell her what needs to be done and doesn't care. Just let her get herself into trouble.

Is she a new team lead or just new in role? Not that that's an excuse, but maybe she, like most tls, think that if you know how to cover a GSTL break, then you know how to be a GSTL. she might be bitter that she has to train at all.

Edit. Well my question was already asked. Oops. I'll keep my responce though because i had some other stuff in there too. Sorry!

Put everything you have into training her though.
Don't let the fact that she is a smeghead get in the way.
She might not take to any of it but at least she can't say you didn't provide her with the information and education, CYA and all that.
She sounds like one of those people who will blame their failings on other people.
And as always, when dealing with the petty and mean, document, document, document.

If you have to do any documention for her training note everything. But other than that let her drown...if you tried to tell her what needs to be done and doesn't care. Just let her get herself into trouble.

Take no prisoners...do what others say!

oh my. That's really all i can say! Thank goodness there was another good TL there because i had quite a lunch complaining session with him! This girl is just a huge pain in the ass. She will never make it if she continues to act like this. A cashier got a card tonight and she went straight up to them and said "i just looked at your conversion and it's a good thing you got one because i would have counseled you tonight if you hadn't! so you better get more tonight!" I found this out when i found the cashier crying in the bathroom! I was livid because not only was that never going to happen it's just also not her place to be saying things like that. Yes she's a TL but she's not a TL at this store! I went straight to the LOD and went off about her. My LOD was angry and is going to the STL tomorrow with everything that happened tonight and wants this girl out of our store asap. Hopefully this happens because i'm not sure i can take another week of her.

What a nightmare. I feel bad for any team members who will be under her. They need to put a stop to this before she hurts an entire store.

oh my. That's really all i can say! Thank goodness there was another good TL there because i had quite a lunch complaining session with him! This girl is just a huge pain in the ass. She will never make it if she continues to act like this. A cashier got a card tonight and she went straight up to them and said "i just looked at your conversion and it's a good thing you got one because i would have counseled you tonight if you hadn't! so you better get more tonight!" I found this out when i found the cashier crying in the bathroom! I was livid because not only was that never going to happen it's just also not her place to be saying things like that. Yes she's a TL but she's not a TL at this store! I went straight to the LOD and went off about her. My LOD was angry and is going to the STL tomorrow with everything that happened tonight and wants this girl out of our store asap. Hopefully this happens because i'm not sure i can take another week of her.

Have you given her feedback yourself around this? I would seriously tell her you should sit down and recap together the training... and then hit her with everything you have to say! Just start the conversation off easy about how training is going and what she thinks she is going to make her focuses etc... THEN go over the leadership expectations with her and tell her to highlight her two wins and two opps (since she is new she should have two lol)... Then tell her you think her opps are Resilient and Adaptable and Communicates Effectively because she isn't listening and responding to feedback well and that she isn't tailoring her messages to her audience or listening with empathy to others opinions.... See what she says to that and if she agrees or not! It should either be obvious and she will get defensive (in which case you can point out that her being defensive isn't being resilient and adaptable) or she will be blindsided! Either way just tell her that every leader at Target is held accountable to these standards and those are the ones you have observed while training her! You also need to tell her that being the team leader of an area means you are responsible for many metrics including the BTS and receiving negative results or comments in chat sessions are going to lead to coachings... which is why it is important to improve on her opps!

That is personally what I would do! If she doesn't like it who cares, she is the trainee and you should have your ETLs and STL support if it is really that bad!

Well put RL.
She might not be trainable but you've got to try and at least frame every criticism in that context.
As nice as it would be to just say 'stop being a complete smeghead' because hey, it's obvious to human beings that you just can't treat people like that, it's not going to work and at least by putting it in Target Jargon you can show you made the effort to do a proper training.

Last edited:
What does BTS mean in this context? Back to school doesn't fit well...

best team survey. excellent way to complain about your management.

oops, i see it was already responded to. some issues that were brought up by the team at my store were actually addressed by HQ from our BTS results. So change *can* happen.

Can't wait for BTS this year (if I'm still around)... I'm gonna let em have it...

Have you given her feedback yourself around this? I would seriously tell her you should sit down and recap together the training... and then hit her with everything you have to say! Just start the conversation off easy about how training is going and what she thinks she is going to make her focuses etc... THEN go over the leadership expectations with her and tell her to highlight her two wins and two opps (since she is new she should have two lol)... Then tell her you think her opps are Resilient and Adaptable and Communicates Effectively because she isn't listening and responding to feedback well and that she isn't tailoring her messages to her audience or listening with empathy to others opinions.... See what she says to that and if she agrees or not! It should either be obvious and she will get defensive (in which case you can point out that her being defensive isn't being resilient and adaptable) or she will be blindsided! Either way just tell her that every leader at Target is held accountable to these standards and those are the ones you have observed while training her! You also need to tell her that being the team leader of an area means you are responsible for many metrics including the BTS and receiving negative results or comments in chat sessions are going to lead to coachings... which is why it is important to improve on her opps!

That is personally what I would do! If she doesn't like it who cares, she is the trainee and you should have your ETLs and STL support if it is really that bad!

thank you for this! I read it while on break and sat down with her when i got back. It didn't go well and she accused me of being jealous of her which was just strange but one of my opps is demonstrating courage so i feel like it was a good thing for me to step out and have that conversation with her. She did admit that she might be being a bit harsh and would think on things this weekend. Had a conversation with my STL and ETL after that and if things don't improve on Monday my STL will being making a phone call to our DTL. I will have to say that after our conversation she did seem a bit more subdued and seemed to listen to me a bit more and not step out to have conversations with cashiers without me. I can deal with that for another week so hopefully next week things will be better!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back