Archived Training not very thorough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I'm new to this site and I've been with target in softlines since the beginning of June.

The first day they had me do some tutorials and tests on a computer, and then the first couple of days doing soft lines I was supervised. But they didn't teach me how to do everything, or they showed me what to do one time and I didn't have to do it again until a couple weeks later, like get something from the back.

This leaves me feeling self conscious about my capabilities to do my job and I feel kind of stupid every time I have to ask a team member for help on something everyone else knows how to do.

I swear if they schedule me for a full operator shift without giving me proper training for it I'm going to have a panic attack. I've had to cover for the operator while not knowing what to do. "Oh, you're supposed to hit transfer again after you dial it!" Yeah, thanks for telling me NOW, after I already messed up that call.

"Hey operator, can you do a team huddle announcement?"

"Um, this is my first time covering for the operator, I don't know how to do that..."

"Oh. Interesting. Well, bye."

*They hung up*

I ended up asking the nearest team member how to do it.

Grrr. And then after I'm here a month, I get called to clerical because there's four different training things I didn't do, apparently. I tried to do them and the tests wouldn't load. and that was all she wrote about that, never heard about those training things again.

Am I the only one who got dodgy training?

I had good training (also ended up becoming good friends with one of my trainers) but when you get your learning plan I would DEFINITELY take this up with your LOD. Don't be embarrassed about addressing this.

I know this feeling though. At my last job my trainer literally just stayed on her phone and didn't do shit.

As a trainer I'd say definitely ask whoever trained you (or whoever you are working with) if you're not sure. Don't feel like you can't/shouldn't ask - I'd rather have someone ask me how to do something than see that they did it wrong because they weren't sure and then awkwardly tell them "Hey, just so you know...". Whoever you ask probably didn't know everything when they first started either, so don't feel like you're annoying or anything. You can ask an operator to make you a cheat sheet if you think that would help you. I made one and made copies a while back because we had several new people at once. The phone is something that's kind of hard to teach and is something you kind of just get the hang of as you do it. I had a whole training shift for operator and it really didn't help me until I actually was alone with the phone and had to figure it out.

Hi I'm new to this site and I've been with target in softlines since the beginning of June.

The first day they had me do some tutorials and tests on a computer, and then the first couple of days doing soft lines I was supervised. But they didn't teach me how to do everything, or they showed me what to do one time and I didn't have to do it again until a couple weeks later, like get something from the back.

This leaves me feeling self conscious about my capabilities to do my job and I feel kind of stupid every time I have to ask a team member for help on something everyone else knows how to do.

I swear if they schedule me for a full operator shift without giving me proper training for it I'm going to have a panic attack. I've had to cover for the operator while not knowing what to do. "Oh, you're supposed to hit transfer again after you dial it!" Yeah, thanks for telling me NOW, after I already messed up that call.

"Hey operator, can you do a team huddle announcement?"

"Um, this is my first time covering for the operator, I don't know how to do that..."

"Oh. Interesting. Well, bye."

*They hung up*

I ended up asking the nearest team member how to do it.

Grrr. And then after I'm here a month, I get called to clerical because there's four different training things I didn't do, apparently. I tried to do them and the tests wouldn't load. and that was all she wrote about that, never heard about those training things again.

Am I the only one who got dodgy training?
Yeah that sounds about right.

As a trainer I'd say definitely ask whoever trained you (or whoever you are working with) if you're not sure. Don't feel like you can't/shouldn't ask - I'd rather have someone ask me how to do something than see that they did it wrong because they weren't sure and then awkwardly tell them "Hey, just so you know...". Whoever you ask probably didn't know everything when they first started either, so don't feel like you're annoying or anything. You can ask an operator to make you a cheat sheet if you think that would help you. I made one and made copies a while back because we had several new people at once. The phone is something that's kind of hard to teach and is something you kind of just get the hang of as you do it. I had a whole training shift for operator and it really didn't help me until I actually was alone with the phone and had to figure it out.

Yeah, most people have been pretty nice to me and patient with me. I keep apolozing for not knowing how to do everything, but it's not completely my fault.

The ladies who are usually the operators at my store are a little intimidating. One is pregnant and a little sassy, and the other one is just kind of mean and I get the sense that she doesn't like me much.

I am the only person in my store who knows how to use the new receiving app. I am taking Friday and Monday off and still my lead has not come to me to train someone. It is his job, not mine. I hope Friday and Monday works out for them. To be honest, I was not trained on the app. I trained myself. Never once did my team lead or any lead in the store for that matter. come to me and tell me it is changing! Gotta love spot!

I am the only person in my store who knows how to use the new receiving app. I am taking Friday and Monday off and still my lead has not come to me to train someone. It is his job, not mine. I hope Friday and Monday works out for them. To be honest, I was not trained on the app. I trained myself. Never once did my team lead or any lead in the store for that matter. come to me and tell me it is changing! Gotta love spot!
I hate to say this but, if it is was me I would be hoping that it blew up in he or she's. Then maybe they will learn.

I never actually did my Signing TM training, and was trained directly after Christmas, which literally entailed taking down signing/overheads. And then walking back and forth to my TL/ETL and ask them what to do next, as there was literally nothing to do. I was very worried I would be bored, lmao.

I never actually did my Signing TM training, and was trained directly after Christmas, which literally entailed taking down signing/overheads. And then walking back and forth to my TL/ETL and ask them what to do next, as there was literally nothing to do. I was very worried I would be bored, lmao.

Sounds a lot like my 'training'.

Training? What's that?

Me, upon coming in for a cashier shift and seeing I've been re-scheduled for a softlines shift: "ummm...what is this?"
ETL: "oh, you've never done it before?"
Me: "Nope."

10 minute crash course in softlines (minus the fitting room/phone op) and now I'm the preferred backup for callouts.

@ Spot or a couple of jobs in general, you get "thrown into the pool" and you either sink or swim. Honestly when I started out, I didn't know a pig from a caf pull. During my years, (which has been 10 by the way) of being at Target, the truly best and most reliable Trainer is You. I say that to say this, pick Everybody's brain to get the answers you need and do your research on the job, workcenter you need to learn. They have "learning plans" training modules, etc., for just about everything, but the best is when you in "the thick of things" and go at it blindly. One of the true "badges" of being "Global"! Also this site can answer A Lot of your questions!! Always someone here who's willing to help.

It happens a lot or at least it did at my old store. We had a person out in PFresh who never got a lick of training he had to learn everything just by doing it and making mistakes along the way. He often confided in people that it made him really self conscious about his work like it does for you. It's sad and he kept telling them he had zero training and they didn't give a crap.

I feel as though the training in my store is very weak.
It seems like new TMs get some basics but are expected to learn on the job, but no one tells them that. They say to ask questions. Just keep asking questions but sometimes you don't know what to ask!

I see new back room members looking like lost puppies, soft lines TMs looking like they're going to cry, etc.
Cashier training is hysterical since there's only one day of it. We had a little girl and this was her first job ever and she was shy and lost and had no idea how to talk to strangers much less sell red cards or speak up when there was an issue. She quit because she felt stupid and frustrated.

Speaking of phones, the first time I had to answer the phone I hung up on the caller by mistake. I felt like a dumbass asking how to answer the phone but if they don't teach you how to answer "you have a call on xxxx", how you supposed to learn?

I'm on a big assed "fuck Target" rip lately but in this case, training really does suck.

I swear if they schedule me for a full operator shift without giving me proper training for it I'm going to have a panic attack. I've had to cover for the operator while not knowing what to do.

Fellow FRO here. I believe this is one of Spot's most difficult jobs. It requires a ton of patience and juggling various tasks. We keep a list of extensions, including the one for the PA system, taped to our fitting room counter. We also keep a pad of paper and a pen. When I first started, I would jot down how to transfer calls, etc. once I got the info from an experienced tm. I've definitely hung up on guests before; I'm sure many of us have.

Most callers I've found will have easy questions (i.e. store hours, asking for a common item such as last Christmas' star shooter laser light) or will just want to talk to the LOD/guest service etc. Some will drive you nuts. Apologize for their wait if you have to put them on hold for a while and speak to them in as pleasant a manner as possible. I've had people scream at me and just all around make me feel like dirt. Just turn the other cheek.

I'm pretty sure that aside from a few people I mentioned it to, I was the only person at my store who knew that 19.5 was coming. Nothing like hearing panic and anger as much-used apps disappeared overnight.

Q4 is the worst time for operators. We finally got a little whiteboard and some dry-erase markers to write what calls were on what extension and had a list of what we were sold out of at all times... three years ago. I always loved the few TMs who checked and communicated when we were out of hot items or when we got a shipment in!

There is a person at my store who suddenly started to get a lot fitting room/operation shifts. She showed up for her first fitting room shift just kind of assuming he would get some training (she wasn't expecting an entire shift of training, but at least something) But nope; she got nothing. She had only covered breaks like once or twice before that so knew how to transfer a call and basically nothing else. The FRO that was scheduled before her talked to her for like two minutes and then left. She is doing a good job now, but at least I got about twenty minutes of fitting room training before I started to get full shifts. So like everyone else has said; this is normal.

I swear if they schedule me for a full operator shift without giving me proper training for it I'm going to have a panic attack.
If this does happen I'd suggest talking to someone immediately and tell them you are not trained as an operator and need some training otherwise you will not be able to take that shift. If you are working a sales floor shift they could pull for you like thirty minutes or so to train with the operator. That is what they did for me. I was able to learn all the main point during that time and just continued to ask questions when they came up.

Also you only started in June so you should ask questions now rather than later. We all know that training isn't a strong point for Target and can vary greatly depending on who trained you. But it is better to ask questions now than wait until you are forced to do something months from now and you are unsure. We had one TM who didn't know how to answer a phone calls on the floor. She never asked anyone how to do it and just avoided answering them. About six months after she started she was the only person on the floor at one point and finally had to admit she didn't know how to answer the phones. Although we understood that training at our store isn't great; she shouldn't have waiting six months to find out how to answer a call. It would have been less embarrassing if she has just asked earlier.

Although we understood that training at our store isn't great; she shouldn't have waiting six months to find out how to answer a call. It would have been less embarrassing if she has just asked earlier.

At my first store I went a full 11 months without learning how to answer a call. Whenever whoever I was with would ask me to grab the call I'd tell them I didn't know how. None of them bothered to show me.

At my first store I went a full 11 months without learning how to answer a call. Whenever whoever I was with would ask me to grab the call I'd tell them I didn't know how. None of them bothered to show me.

You'd think they would want another person that's knows how to answer the phone. It would be helpful in the long-run to have another person that knows how to do that.

The person I was talking about told me and another person that she just actively avoid answering the phone for six months and just never asked for help.

I didn't mean to imply that if someone asks a question after working for a longer period should be embarrassed or shouldn't ask a question after a certain period of time. But I think it is better to ask earlier and hopefully someone will be nice enough to answer. I apologize if it came off that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back