Archived Training Packet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I got this packet of stuff my Trainer is supposed to check off what we go over and I have to do these online quizes (this is a job not school but whatever) and then turn it in to HR.

Month deadline.

My trainer doesn't even know what it is or what to do .-.
I dont get this.

Wow, is there an actual Target course online (with those videos and quizzes) listed on your packet?? We actually did those in orientation, and half the alcohol pamphlet wasn't even covered! I'd say just go to HR and ask them if you need to use the kiosk to finish it. We (I think there were five or six other trainees in my orientation group) had to do them on printed out paper. Maybe someone else here has better advice though. A lot of those q's will be common sense, and there was a little safety booklet for the safety portion that we went over during orientation. Good luck!!

It's to make sure you're fully trained and don't feel like you're going into your job completely unprepared...but...k.

I guess I'll ask HR about it tomorrow.
I guess my whole shift tomorrow will be doing quizes online???
Seems silly to me.

"Dont feel like you're going into your job completely unprepared" yet they leave me alone for over an hour with less than an hour of training. Okay. Doesn't make sense.
They have this packet to give out and the other employees dont even know what it is.

My trainer didnt even KNOW she was training anyone til I walked up today lol

I mean, Target training is notoriously not the best, but you're at least lucky you got a packet. Most stores completely ignore that. Maybe they're trying to make sure people are actually trained properly going into 4Q. Also the first week at least is going to be training so yeah, the majority of your shift tomorrow is going to be quizzes. I don't really see what there is to complain about. If you're working at FA especially they need to make sure you've at least read things on food safety, spills, etc...

I guess I'll ask HR about it tomorrow.
I guess my whole shift tomorrow will be doing quizes online???
...yet they leave me alone for over an hour with less than an hour of training.
...They have this packet to give out and the other employees dont even know what it is.

My trainer didnt even KNOW she was training anyone til I walked up today lol

Did you have orientation at all? The process at my store was like this:

First work day was orientation; we introduced ourselves, watched some videos covering some of what the quizzes had, and read over one Safety Guidelines booklet (general food industry stuff) and a printout that had maybe one out of the sixteen questions on the alcohol portion of our alcohol quiz.

Day two -- first official on-the-floor experience -- me and another trainee shadowed another cashier for about two or three quick transactions. They split us up, threw me on the express lane, and just explained things as they came up. I think my trainer might actually get a talkin' to because she didn't teach us how to order change or file out our bill bundles.

Day three -- second official day -- I was supposed to get trained a bit more, but my trainer called out that morning. So, on the registers I went! I had an older cashier (ex-trainer) there to help but she seemed agitated with me, though still helpful, and I made some pretty big mistakes with couponers. On my break, I let HR know I hadn't done my eHR/tax information, so each of the trainees had to go ahead and do that yesterday within their shift.

The difference that seems to be making your experience all wonky is HR was entirely in charge of that checklist for our trainees. Your trainer is likely not actually HR, and at our store HR is there to make sure we understand our rights, what the company expects of us, what customers expect, etc. Imagine being a cashier or sales floor TM and suddenly you have to explain a packet you probably didn't even get when you trained, when your job is to be working with customers or the product, and making sure you're helping struggling team members. So just be communicative with your GSTL and GSA, HR, and also figure out who the ETL for front end is at your store. Those are the people our store recommended going to for any questions. I mean, you don't want to go to HR or your ETL with cashiering questions, but you don't want to go to your GSTL with tax questions.

Some of this stuff is standard retail -- funky training, training that doesn't happen until you run into those situations (like you can't get trained on coupons until you have someone come by with coupons.) Some places do it better. Target did it a little better than my first job, but there's a lot to teach. Just remember that they're probably going to give you the benefit of the doubt since you're new, and don't go in with a negative look on your job right away.

I mean, Target training is notoriously not the best, but you're at least lucky you got a packet. Most stores completely ignore that. Maybe they're trying to make sure people are actually trained properly going into 4Q. Also the first week at least is going to be training so yeah, the majority of your shift tomorrow is going to be quizzes. I don't really see what there is to complain about. If you're working at FA especially they need to make sure you've at least read things on food safety, spills, etc...

I can understand how it'd be kind of confusing for someone new to department retail, since if they gave her the same packet I got, there's actually no information on food guidelines. Just a bunch of questions about stuff you've never dealt with. You have to actually find the videos (we watched them in orientation, so she needs to ask her store where to find that information,) and I'm pretty sure there's some sort of online workshop for the alcohol stuff, but HR just walked us through the quiz instead of actually having us study anything. A month is a LONG time to do those packets though, they're really quick and mostly common sense, aside from a few specific "what temperature should X be kept at," etc.

First of all, they're not just "quizzes," they're training modules & you have to take a quiz afterwards to insure you understood the material. You can retake it as many times as necessary to "pass." They're really not that difficult & the purpose is to make sure you UNDERSTOOD the material on which you're being TRAINED, which will be essential (for the most part) to the job for which you've been hired. If you fail the first time, I suggest writing down the "correct" answer the 2nd time just in case you don't pass then either ;)

I'm the "official" trainer for our pharmacy and I'm "in charge" of making sure the packet is done. For pharmacy, at least, there is a lot of information included in the modules/quizzes that it would be almost impossible for someone to remember verbatim. For example, I KNOW what is/isn't a violation of HIPAA law, but I'm not sure I could adequately explain it to someone else. There are a TON of other ones we have to do yearly(compounding, patient safety, fraud/waste/abuse, drug diversion, all in addition to the "regular" Target required ones). I can train someone on how to navigate the system, pull/shelve meds, count/label, workflow, etc. but I'm not sure I can do it as effectively as the training modules. They are done to serve as a guide to give you a foundation and get into the details a trainer may not always remember to include. No matter how many people you train, there will always be SOMETHING you will forget....

I'd ask HR to help you find the courses. Workbench is a nightmare at finding the courses. If you know the course number, search by that instead of the actual name of the course.

I'm a trainer (though less now, yay) and when trainees mentioned a packet I'd just shrug and tell them to talk to our TL or the HR-TM. Nobody's told me shit about that stuff and I only have dim memories of it from my training when I signed some form I didn't really read. Not about to get all bold and take charge of those packets myself anytime soon.

If there's a training you need to do (e.g. hazardous materials) they'll hunt you down and make sure you take the quiz or whatever needs doing.

What even makes a "trainer" because I am about 99.9% sure they throw a dart and whoever's picture it lands on has to train the newbies

What even makes a "trainer" because I am about 99.9% sure they throw a dart and whoever's picture it lands on has to train the newbies
The criteria is pretty much "Are you decent-to-good at your job? Can you use words? Congratulations!" Even if a workcenter has a designated trainer, no guarantee they'll remember to schedule new hires on the same day that person works.

Everytime I go to see HR no one is there .-.
Maybe cause today was Sunday?

HOPEFULLY tomorrow I can actually talk to someone.

The main manager lady (forget what her title is) said that my TRAINER is supposed to be following the packet and send me to HR to do the "quizes" (which I did figure are just making sure I learned things)
Its just frustrating that HR isn't there when I need them and I STILL can't get on to eHR and its been 5 days since Orientation.

At my Orientation we LITERALLY only watched the videos and thats it. Oh, and the tour of the store (which was really brief).
The HR girl gave us the packet and just said to bring it on our first day of training. Didn't elaborate at all on what it was.

Last edited:
First of all, they're not just "quizzes," they're training modules & you have to take a quiz afterwards to insure you understood the material.

This is going to sound a little aggressive, because I think some of ya'll are assuming training is consistent when it comes to this elusive workbench. Yes, they're modules if you're actually put on a computer an given a course. But in TricksterGirl's training (as she says above) and in mine, we sat in a room and watched videos. Sure, those are probably taken from some workbench out there, however, in my training and orientation, there was no actual training module that we used.

We were given printed out sections of a module, but there is no way anyone would call what we were given an actual module, workbench, or course. I've done training modules outside of Target, and I swear, this was literally a printout of the introduction page for a module, followed by printed out screenshots of a quiz. I can even tell you some of the things a module might have covered, that none of us knew off the top of our heads while finishing the quiz portion, because we were not put through any actual curriculum or course.

One was something like, "Which of these forms of ID are acceptable when a guest is purchasing alcohol?" The packet's printouts had no information on ID, except what to do when an ID/DL seems fishy. We didn't watch any videos on alcohol sales, but it was pretty obvious to everyone in my orientation that we were missing information that was supposed to be taught. This is why I kept touting "some of the questions are common sense."

Target training: ymmv, asants.

The other information in the packet was not meant to be tested, stuff like the HIPAA sheet covering how employee privacy works, Target's LifeResources pamphlet, work injuries information, etc. No follow-up to make sure we understood, but I will say that my store is definitely adamant about how "if you have questions, we're always here to help."

This is going to sound a little aggressive, because I think some of ya'll are assuming training is consistent when it comes to this elusive workbench. Yes, they're modules if you're actually put on a computer an given a course. But in TricksterGirl's training (as she says above) and in mine, we sat in a room and watched videos. Sure, those are probably taken from some workbench out there, however, in my training and orientation, there was no actual training module that we used.

We were given printed out sections of a module, but there is no way anyone would call what we were given an actual module, workbench, or course. I've done training modules outside of Target, and I swear, this was literally a printout of the introduction page for a module, followed by printed out screenshots of a quiz. I can even tell you some of the things a module might have covered, that none of us knew off the top of our heads while finishing the quiz portion, because we were not put through any actual curriculum or course.

One was something like, "Which of these forms of ID are acceptable when a guest is purchasing alcohol?" The packet's printouts had no information on ID, except what to do when an ID/DL seems fishy. We didn't watch any videos on alcohol sales, but it was pretty obvious to everyone in my orientation that we were missing information that was supposed to be taught. This is why I kept touting "some of the questions are common sense."

Target training: ymmv, asants.

The other information in the packet was not meant to be tested, stuff like the HIPAA sheet covering how employee privacy works, Target's LifeResources pamphlet, work injuries information, etc. No follow-up to make sure we understood, but I will say that my store is definitely adamant about how "if you have questions, we're always here to help."

Actually training is pretty consistent when it comes to Workbench only because the modules/quizzes are a corporate thing that's required for you to even be working lol. If you don't finish the ones you need on time you can bet your HR will be reminding you every day you walk in that you have training to finish. There are some modules that ALL new hires have to complete and some that are only required for specific workcenters. So unless you were only hired with people who are working in your same workcenter, orientation and training will vary. If they have you do any "modules" at orientation (which is what you described and NOT considered your first day of training), it's only going to be the ones that everyone has to do, like the alcohol sales one. Also the training guide you receive should be different from the folder they give you at orientation (the one with all the legal/financial/whatever stuff), because again it should be unique to your workcenter.

Last edited:
Actually training is pretty consistent when it comes to Workbench only because the modules/quizzes are a corporate thing that's required for you to even be working lol. If you don't finish the ones you need on time you can bet your HR will be reminding you every day you walk in that you have training to finish. There are some modules that ALL new hires have to complete and some that are only required for specific workcenters.

That makes sense, but I feel like it still fits with what I mean when I say everyone seems to think every store handles modules consistently. To me it's almost like they've disregarded the whole idea. I've been working on registers everyday since orientation, and went fairly unmonitored the second day -- my trainer actually called in my second day -- but I haven't learned anything specialized about cashiering through anyone other than my trainer, GSTL/As, and veteran cashiers. (I would say maybe cashiers don't have a workbench like some of these other positions but I'd be talking out of my ass because nothing about workbenches or modules has been mentioned to us).

I mean, I had to remind HR that we hadn't done our eHR password/screen-names or tax forms, so maybe my HR has just been really busy and they'll have me and the other new TMs do these modules a bit later. My schedule doesn't say training anymore so I'm assuming I'm working, but it's possible my store is staggering the steps because they have so many seasonal TMs coming in.

That makes sense, but I feel like it still fits with what I mean when I say everyone seems to think every store handles modules consistently. To me it's almost like they've disregarded the whole idea. I've been working on registers everyday since orientation, and went fairly unmonitored the second day -- my trainer actually called in my second day -- but I haven't learned anything specialized about cashiering through anyone other than my trainer, GSTL/As, and veteran cashiers. (I would say maybe cashiers don't have a workbench like some of these other positions but I'd be talking out of my ass because nothing about workbenches or modules has been mentioned to us).

Cashiers have the least to do when it comes to Workbench. As far as "modules" the only thing you have to do is the alcohol sales one (which it sounds like you already did) and IIRC one about cleaning up spills. I think it might be less stores handling modules inconsistently and more that modules are not consistent for every workcenter. As far as training...usually one day of dedicated training time is all you'll get lol. They teach you all the basics of the register and then hope you catch on and just ask questions from there.

I had one trainee that didn't get any official training until five months in to his employment. Another was rushed through it in twenty minutes (even though it clearly states on the packet how long each section should take). All stores definitely aren't the same in this area... some seem to care, some don't.

I had one trainee that didn't get any official training until five months in to his employment. Another was rushed through it in twenty minutes (even though it clearly states on the packet how long each section should take). All stores definitely aren't the same in this area... some seem to care, some don't.
When it was time for my food safety training on Workbench, my old flow TL just skipped through all the information and told me to do the quiz. Pretty sure I passed on the first try but for the love of God do not leave me unsupervised when it comes to things like temperatures or knowing what meats can't touch.

Last time I had to take the hazardous materials training I made sure to read everything and ask questions like "Wait, do actually we have an eye wash station?" And now I'm wondering if I can go back and read what I missed on that food stuff; if only I had the spare time at work.

HR literally has not told me anything and when they are "here" they aren't here. I can't find them. Ever.
It's been 6 days and I'm still not on eHR. I can't log on.

I can clock in just fine though. Will I get paid if I haven't done my tax forms? Can't they get in trouble if I work without them paying me?
UGH im just so annoyed.

This training packet is no big deal now...im just worried about eHR.

HR literally has not told me anything and when they are "here" they aren't here. I can't find them. Ever.
It's been 6 days and I'm still not on eHR. I can't log on.

I can clock in just fine though. Will I get paid if I haven't done my tax forms? Can't they get in trouble if I work without them paying me?
UGH im just so annoyed.

This training packet is no big deal now...im just worried about eHR.

Did you do the initial setup? It gives you instructions right on the login page about first-time users.

You can also call the help number, which is also on the login page.

Will I get paid if I haven't done my tax forms? Can't they get in trouble if I work without them paying me?

You'll still get paid without any issues. In fact, you're not actually required to do the tax forms; it's just a good idea to have withholdings so you don't have to pay as much when you do your taxes.

HR ended up calling for me!

I got taxes and direct deposit set up.

Still confused on what to do with half of my packet but yolo I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back