Transfer for promotion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I’ve been a Flow/BR/SFS/Market/POG/electronics TM for about a year now (cross trained in all, but currently inbound/headlines, BR the most.) and have showed interest in becoming a TL and potentially an ETL. I’ve dominated in everything that I have done and have recently been told that we don’t have enough TL positions available at my store moving forward and there are other ETLs in the district who want me to be a Tl for them. I’ve been promised 2 different TL positions at my store in the past.. My Market TL told me a few weeks ago about how they transfer out people to get rid of the ones they don’t want, but I’ve been a total bad ass and don’t quite understand why that would be considering that would make you look bad if you have a store a bad TL, or ETL. If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated, thank you in advance

Hi, what do you need advice regarding? Are they transferring you against your will? Who has told you that other ETLs want you to be a TL for them? Are you benched yet?

Hi, what do you need advice regarding? Are they transferring you against your will? Who has told you that other ETLs want you to be a TL for them? Are you benched yet?
I completely carried the back room over the holidays

My ETL told me, “I let my peers know you’re ready. I would love to have you stay here, but we are neutral in the number of TL’s that we have here.” And I’m not on the bench, but have been told they want to get me ready for an interview with DTL.

I need advice on if transferring is a good or bad thing. From what I have heard, it’s not good and I don’t understand why they would transfer me if I’m as big of an asset to the store as they tell me. I get 40 hours a week as a TM so it’s just very confusing...

I need advice on if transferring is a good or bad thing. From what I have heard, it’s not good and I don’t understand why they would transfer me if I’m as big of an asset to the store as they tell me. I get 40 hours a week as a TM so it’s just very confusing...
Ok, so, your store is at head count for TLs. You would like to move up. The only way that’s possible right now is if you transfer to another store, because they can’t obviously make up a TL position at your store.
I don’t think a transfer means that you are not appreciated/wanted at your store. It just means that they are willing to let you go, so you can grow. Which is what you want right? To grow?

Yes, but it’s as if they’re pushing me to transfer. They keep pushing it on me and originally I wanted to stay at the store I’m at. I told them I don’t mind being a tm a bit longer seeing as they cross train me and if I’m stuck in a department, I can’t learn anymore. It feels as if they used me to get them up to par in the down workcenters (which I have) and now they’re giving me the boot.

Yes, but it’s as if they’re pushing me to transfer. They keep pushing it on me and originally I wanted to stay at the store I’m at. I told them I don’t mind being a tm a bit longer seeing as they cross train me and if I’m stuck in a department, I can’t learn anymore. It feels as if they used me to get them up to par in the down workcenters (which I have) and now they’re giving me the boot.
So they are forcing you to transfer?

Transfering is typically seen as a good thing when it stays within the district. Good etls and STLs move around fixing stores and sharing different perspectives. In my
opinion if you’re getting offered a promotion in any store within your district it’s always a good thing.

Not forcing. When I told them I wasn’t sure as to what I wanted to do they kept bringing up reasons why transferring would be in my best interest. So here’s my entire story.. my ETL during the holidays kept telling me that I had a bright future with target. I assumed I was being told that to motivate me to continue working at the pace I was. Then after the holidays, they told continued telling me the same thing. They had me work the overnight cos reset and seasonal reset and now this is where I’m at. I don’t know if I was being told these things to keep getting things done and to make them look good, or if they’re genuinely trying to help me. The situation just feels sketchy. My etl told me that he wanted to talk to me last week and that talk was to tell me I wasn’t getting a promotion and that I could transfer for one. It was very random and something about it didn’t feel right.

Transfering is typically seen as a good thing when it stays within the district. Good etls and STLs move around fixing stores and sharing different perspectives. In my
opinion if you’re getting offered a promotion in any store within your district it’s always a good thing.

Thank you. I know the store they’re wanting to transfer me to is a mess from what I have been told.. maybe sending me there to help get things in order and to make them look good?

My reason for posting this is I just don’t want to be setup for failure. I really enjoy this company, but when my boss offers me promotions, lies to me about those promotions on a regular basis and then tells me what he is now telling me it’s kind of a shitty feeling and makes me feel as though I am just being pushed out because now that these changes to flow and BR have happened I can shine the way I used to.

Here’s how promotions typically work
Pipeline->Development->Bench->TL interview.
Sounds like at this point you are in the pipeline...aka carrot dangling. Its up to you to figure out how long you want to chase the carrot and if it’s worth it.
As for your ETL “offering” you promotions, thats part of the carrot dangling, and highly unprofessional.

So I’ve been a Flow/BR/SFS/Market/POG/electronics TM for about a year now (cross trained in all, but currently inbound/headlines, BR the most.) and have showed interest in becoming a TL and potentially an ETL. I’ve dominated in everything that I have done and have recently been told that we don’t have enough TL positions available at my store moving forward and there are other ETLs in the district who want me to be a Tl for them. I’ve been promised 2 different TL positions at my store in the past.. My Market TL told me a few weeks ago about how they transfer out people to get rid of the ones they don’t want, but I’ve been a total bad ass and don’t quite understand why that would be considering that would make you look bad if you have a store a bad TL, or ETL. If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated, thank you in advance
Why don’t you want to transfer ? Are you scared that what you think or been told you do good won’t be up to par in a new store ? I’ve gone thru lengthy issues to get myself transferred and it finally happened just this passed week. I’m starting new at a new store , new district . And I know I’m gonna kill it because being a srtl is just not enough for me and this is my way to show just what I can do.

No I’ll kick ass anywhere I go. I’ve been cross trained in many work centers in such a short timeframe and it feels as though everything has fallen in place for me. Im afraid I’m going to go to a new store and things might not be as fast paced as I would like for them to be. Im trying to make this shit happen

No I’ll kick ass anywhere I go. I’ve been cross trained in many work centers in such a short timeframe and it feels as though everything has fallen in place for me. Im afraid I’m going to go to a new store and things might not be as fast paced as I would like for them to be. Im trying to make this shit happen
Or maybe what you think you know is not the same as other store , being cross trained is great , but knowing how to get those metrics and how to lead a team is different. Be the kick ass guy that you are and take the leap and accept a transfer and show your worth. My transfer was an uphill battle , it’s been only 2 days since I left my store and the etlhr called to said if it doesn’t work out I can always come back .

Very well put. If I can help impact my current store the way I have then this shouldn’t be an issue. I appreciate the advice!

Transferring isn’t a bad thing and it isn’t viewed negatively if they are telling you a position is available in another store. You’ll be fine. It’ll show that you’re flexible and willing to help the district.

You can still apply to TLpositions in other stores.

My store pushed me to apply for transfer TLpositions because while they didn't have any available, they wanted me to transfer back when they did. I didn't want to transfer either, the raise would be offset by lack of time wi th my family from the commute.

If other stores want you, that means your ETL and STL are saying good things about you to the district. That means you are pretty golden.

Yeah I thank I’m going to take that step. At the end of the day I’m trying to become an ETL and I believe the fastest route for me to take would be to transfer

If the transfer comes with a promotion and you pass that up they might make you wait for years until everyone in leadership that remembers you passed it up is gone and not familiar with your story. This is your only guaranteed shot.

If they’re trying to transfer you as a team member just as a way to keep dangling the carrot, don’t do it.

It sounds like the first scenario I laid out... your reasons for staying where you’re at are nonsensical.

If the transfer comes with a promotion and you pass that up they might make you wait for years until everyone in leadership that remembers you passed it up is gone and not familiar with your story. This is your only guaranteed shot.

If they’re trying to transfer you as a team member just as a way to keep dangling the carrot, don’t do it.

It sounds like the first scenario I laid out... your reasons for staying where you’re at are nonsensical.
This how my DTL functions. Turn down a promotion due to a transfer? Good luck getting anywhere in his district. I hesitated taking my first transfer but not he sees me as someone who will move and I haven’t stayed in one position or store longer than a year

You want a promotion. But you can't promote at your store. But you don't want to transfer because the rumor mill says transferring is bad. But you still want to promote. You don't want to check official channels because rumor mill has to be right. Your preferred solution is wishful thinking, a solution that isn't real. You got to work with what you've got and decide from your real choices.

Between that wishful thinking and your belief that you single handedly saved your store, you sound a little immature. Are you sure you're ready for a TL position?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back