Archived Transferring stores because of school - right time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrontEndFirecracker

Vibe Machine
I'm in the middle of the application process for graduate school, and am therefore going to interviews all around my state. I recently got a promotion, so I haven't said anything to my store yet, although they do know I don't plan on making Spot my career (5-6 years until I complete my Ph.D is what I have told them)

I have an interview this weekend about 9 hours away from where I live and work, and the school is my top choice.

Once accepted, do I speak to my store first, or do I try one of the 3 stores in the area to find out if they're willing to take me on before letting my store know?

Good chance you will have to drop your new promotion. By policy, a TL position has to be open at the new store in order to transfer with the position.
But I have seen stores take on transferring TLs over their own TMs wanting the same position.

I would suggest contacting some possible stores near your school directly, and find out if they have openings or willing to take you on. Don't go through your HR just yet.

If you end up transferring, you will have to notify your ETL-HR to start the transfer process. And it will take a couple weeks notice to get the transfer complete.

Good chance you will have to drop your new promotion. By policy, a TL position has to be open at the new store in order to transfer with the position.
But I have seen stores take on transferring TLs over their own TMs wanting the same position.

I would suggest contacting some possible stores near your school directly, and find out if they have openings or willing to take you on. Don't go through your HR just yet.

If you end up transferring, you will have to notify your ETL-HR to start the transfer process. And it will take a couple weeks notice to get the transfer complete.
I'm not a TL - I'm a GSA. I have experience in HL, front end, SD, and RX though, so I can work in any of those areas.

Thanks for the info!

At least, you can probably use your experience as a GSA to get transferred, and probably be considered for the next position opening.

The only hard parts about transferring and keeping a position is that you will have to prove yourself to a all new Store Leadership. And that they believe you will be beneficial to the store, even though you may not have Target as a long term plan.

Not to be rude, but I'm confused as to why you would want to be a GSA if you insist Target is not a long-term goal? Though some will disagree with me, being a GSA is a powerful leverage position to further leadership within the company. Is it an hours thing? The desire to be a supervisor? I may be jaded and/or protective of the position since I went the GSA to TL to ETL route while in school.
I can answer that. I was promoted to GSA while in school for my master's and everyone and their brother knows Spot is not my long term goal. First, it was obvious to my ETL-GE and GSTLs that I was overqualified from the day I was hired as a cashier. Second, the money (ooh, an extra 50 cents/hour for the headaches). And third, it has come with steadier hours which has translated to me having health insurance for the upcoming year, as well as the benefit of paying my bills. It's also proved to be good experience for my intended career path (even though on the surface there is ZERO relation to the two).

No. There is no one else...the only ones they considered were not interested. No one else would be able to handle it. And GSA doesn't seem to be much of a stepping stone at my store. We had one who promoted to TL, but others have not used that route. The other GSAs are one who is in school and wanting out, another who I don't see as a TL at all and took 6 years to get to GSA, and another who was an outside hire that can barely cashier his way out of a paper bag after 3 months and can't lead to save his life.

Also, I really think my ETL at the time was hoping to convince me to stay long term, but that simply isn't in my life plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back