I'm Lost! Transferring Stores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey helpful people,

So, I'm thinking of trying to move halfway across the country. How do I go about letting Target I want to transfer? I am, ironically enough, an HR team member. I started as a cashier in October, went up to HR in May (I obviously don't feel 100% trained yet if I don't know the answer to this question...), but now have an opportunity to move that I really want to take. Should I personally look for positions at Target stores near where I'm moving and apply for them? Or should I just let my ETL know that I want to transfer, and then we work together from there? Basically, I wasn't sure if 1) I should wait until I have another position lined up to let them know I want to leave, so that they don't hate me while I'm still here and looking for other jobs, or 2) if I should let them know ASAP so that they can help me and have a little bit more notice.

I know HR positions are a relatively scarce, so I'm not necessarily deadset on getting that wherever I go. If I go to the salesfloor/backroom/god-forbid-cashiering-again/etc., do I get to keep my current pay? I'm guessing not, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

I have a bachelor's degree, and my TL's/ETL's have all liked me, so I don't think I should run into any trouble transferring. Are there any unexpected hitches I might hit, though, or should I have any trouble? Any thoughts in general about transferring that I haven't really hit on and should be aware of? I was aiming for a TL position at my current store that ETLs had said I could get relatively soon(ish), and am a little afraid about restarting at the bottom of the totem pole at a new store. I'm guessing it's not really common to transfer up a position, but could it happen?

Please let me know if you feel like you need any more info to adequately answer my question. I know it's a bit lengthy, but I think the answers will be fairly concise. Appreciate anyone who takes the time to let me know!

It would likely depend on your new store for whether or not they will keep you at your current pay. The first time I left Target I was a GSA, and when I came back 8 months later, I started as a Sales Floor TM, but thankfully got to keep my GSA pay and all of my accumulated raises (this was the same store though). I quit again when I started grad school, and have just recently been re-hired at a different store as a cashier. The ETL-HR wanted to hire me back with my old pay when I interviewed, but he told me the cutoff for that is 2 years, and I'd been gone for 3. So, I'm back at minimum wage. My guess would be if you are performing well at your current store, then you'll be just fine, especially if they are considering you for a TL position.

By the way, since you have your bachelor's, have you considered applying for an ETL position when you transfer? (assuming you plan on staying with Target full-time for awhile) The pay will be a lot more, and the only loss would be some sleep and your soul...

There are several other hundred threads on transferring. Hopefully you got what you needed out of this, but please use the search function to research previous transfer questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back