Archived Transferring to softlines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Guys, I am a hardlines tm. I, get 1 -2 shifts per wk I'm softlines. Since working in softlines, becoming familiar with how things work there, I like it. Funny thing, before, I dreaded having to work in softlines, always thinking how the heck do they do it, since things are not located there. I have been working mostly in ready to wear and understanding its by brand. Once you become familiar with the department and where the brands are located it becomes easy. I am contemplating transferring to softlines.
Feedback...

No one can decide like you but things to consider are

A) What kind of softlines department are you guys. Are you A&A 2.0? End to end?

B) softlines is changing in that team members are expected to sell and make suggestions to guest. Do you consider yourself knowledgeable of fashion? Comfortable upselling? My HRBP told my etl hr/a&A tl to either have our weaker guest service team members work the truck or to manage them out.

C) do you not like hardlines? Because both positions pay the same so why not get hours in both? We have a hardlines team member who works absolutely all her shifts in softlines but they didn't want me to key her as softlines.

D) consider the leadership. Is it the same etl? Or are you a larger volume store that had a different etl for each? Is the softlines tl a good communicator?

Last edited:
How do you feel about folding clothes? Putting away clothes? Picking up clothing off the ground? How do you feel about swim? Zoning swim? Putting away Racks of swim from the fitting room?

Or shoes? Picking up shoes off the floor all day every day can be a little defeating.

How do you feel about doing that for 8 hours?

Make sure you mesh well with your team mates and your TL.

good luck!

If your store is anything like mine, HL positions are basically being absorbed by the flow team as they get pushed later and later into the day, so you really may want to consider it (unless you like always closing). But ASANTS, you should feel out how things are trending at your store. Good luck!

Ours recently went e2e. The girls hate it. The ones who have been there for years that love it. One quit, one came back because she missed it so much but is now leaving again because its such a hot mess.

Consider this; Make a difference, no matter the circumstance confronted with try to help make a change in the right direction and support leadership because they need it. Without your support they wont make it. Do that and youl like it.

As far as learning locations they do moderate changes nearly every day and then one day you will walk in and absolutely nothing is the same. So you will have to learn where everything is quickly and expect locations to change often.

You'll also have to get good at eyeballing sizes when looking at a person, and how to give an honest but not unflattering opinion at the fitting room.

Baby hardlines can be difficult because you have to know what is current when it comes to babies. For example I was helping someone with breast pump selections and two other guests walked up and told her to talk to her insurance company for reimbursement. They didn't do that when I had a baby, so that was something I needed to know but didn't. Another time I was asked to help find crib bumpers, and we (the guest and I) went through baby hardlines and were stumped. Another guest clued us in that crib bumpers are no longer made due to hypothetical suffocation risk. Another thing I didn't know but needed to.

And the sheer quantity of torn packages of underwear, under shirts, socks and pantyhose will drive a person bonkers. There have been days where I've taken an empty shopping cart to those areas and the cart is filled to the top by the time I've visited them all. And two hours later I've found six more packages torn open after my sweep.

And you pretty much need to think like a social worker. Some of the phone calls I've gotten when the person finally explains why they are asking about an item could break your heart. On top of that, you have to learn how to maintain control of all phone conversations. If the guest takes control then you spend 10 minutes hearing about details that have absolutely nothing to do with their question and they never get around to asking their question in a way that is understandable and you are left guessing as to what they want.

How do you feel about folding clothes? Putting away clothes? Picking up clothing off the ground? How do you feel about swim? Zoning swim? Putting away Racks of swim from the fitting room?

Or shoes? Picking up shoes off the floor all day every day can be a little defeating.

How do you feel about doing that for 8 hours?
I'm a mom; that's my life...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back