Truck first

Our U-boats have dry erase signs. I occasionally glance at them and see some scrawled push time, like "26 MINS".

I rub them away.

for those that need it - TLDR: Target as a company needs to figure out their main priorities on their corporate level. We can't be "Guest's first" with no hours, stupid time limits, and threats. It's like they're all sitting there, 25 people at a board table, and they're implementing 1 idea from every person that showed up instead of just taking the top 5.

Back when I started (early last year) we had times on our dry erase. Slowly those started to disappear and now we still have the dry erase but no times are ever on any of them.

I can't even imagine being timed with my push. If they said I took too long my reply would be "Would you prefer that I push all of these little tiny boxes and a huge box of individually wrapped Maybelline lipsticks in 35 minutes or *Guests First*? I need to know your priorities for this store."

I don't know about all of your stores, but our beauty area is always packed with people and they're all needy. And not just needy for beauty, needy for every.damn.where. and for some reason can only bug us about it. There is one beauty person a day in our store that works a mid-shift (if one of us has to call off, well... LOL). 1 UBoat for me, starting at 8am, uninterrupted, and without any makeup boxes on it (or without the need to juggle way too much SPF on the endcaps to make it all fit), can be done in 1-2 hrs, for sure.

However, throw in those huge (unorganized) makeup boxes, needy "Guests," the phone, calls to the front end, calls to fulfillment, spills (because anyone in beauty knows that you're cleaning constantly) - we're talking 1 U-boat is at least 4 hours - if not more. Especially with it being a mid-shift when we're packed at our busiest hours every single day. We also can't park the u-boat in an aisle to stock the way they want us to because we spend most of the time moving it out of people's way.

So, ask them what the store's top priorities are. If they can't answer you respectfully, with any decency, or with any sense, if they don't offer to help, or they say "it's your job to do all of it within your shift." I recommend just saying "okay" and looking for another job, because that's a shitty leader. Our ETL (we don't have a TL) has thankfully been busting her butt for us but from what I can gather from here and reddit that's a huge rarity. It shouldn't be.

Our store is blasting $ goals out of the water. Every department is going well over any sales goals, consistently. Initially, our store isn't given a lot of hours but you can bet our SD adds them on as much as possible. IDK how much heat she takes for that, but we'd be drowning even more without it. The hours we do get are mainly going to the front end and fulfillment. IDK what "level" our store is at but last year we did over 60 mil (and were well over yearly sales goal by at least 10 mil). This year, trending like we are, we'll hit between 70-80.

I actually turned to my leadership last night , "its before my lunch, we still have a cage of tech (after already pushing two ) to push ontop of my normal routines and tons of guests still... what's my prioroties?"

Let the cage roll dayside will deal with it. Ok sounds good.

But i never get any extra support. Its just who ever is scheduled that day.

Hours and staffing are so bad right now we don't always have a DBO (or backup) scheduled to push every area for every truck. The plan usually amounts to hoping fulfillment is slow enough to pull someone to push the unscheduled areas. I'm not personally complaining as I'm the one who has been getting pulled and I'm more than OK with that. The rest of fulfillment is getting pissed off though.

So, ask them what the store's top priorities are. If they can't answer you respectfully, with any decency, or with any sense, if they don't offer to help, or they say "it's your job to do all of it within your shift." I recommend just saying "okay" and looking for another job, because that's a shitty leader.
^This 100%! Best advice ever!😁

Back