Archived Tuition Reinbursement and Commuter Benefit

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSpotTM

Target Enthusiast
Hey,

I recently joined the Target team, and I am still getting familiar with all the benefits and perks. I was hired as a pharmacy technician, and I am going to school to pursue a Pharm.D. degree.

I hear that Target will help pay for approved courses. If most of my courses relate to pharmacy, could that be considered?

Also, I am having to travel an hour from where I live to go to work. Could I be eligible for the commuter benefit?

I could search the forums for past posts regarding these topics, but I want to post to get the most up-to-date information just in case terms and conditions may have been modified.

Many thanks!

RedSpotTM

Tuition reimbursement is generally associated with TLs who are taking courses relating to business management. But since you're in the pharmacy, it might be worth looking into.

Unfortunately you don't qualify for either. As stated above, school reimbursement is for business courses and the commuter benefit is described as follows:

TEAM MEMBER ELIGIBILITY FOR COMMUTER BENEFIT PLAN
You are eligible for this Plan if you work at a location designated by the Plan Administrator as eligible for the Plan and meet the following
requirements:
You are an active team member who is eligible for a Target medical plan. All active, benefits eligible team members working at least 19.5 hours per
week are eligible to participate in the program. Team members on any type of extended leave are not eligible to participate. Eligibility in the
program is reinstated by the team member upon return to active status.
Who is Not
An individual is ineligible to participate in this Plan during any period in which he/she:
Eligible?
• is classified by the Company as an independent contractor, regardless of his/her current legal status,
• otherwise is not treated as a common-law employee of the Company for purposes of withholding of taxes, regardless of his/her actual status, or
• is covered by a contract or other written agreement that provides that the individual is not eligible for welfare benefits or benefits under this
Plan.
• KMG/DMG team members who are currently being reimbursed for commuting or parking expenses are not eligible to participate in the
Commuter Benefit program.
In addition, the following individuals are ineligible to participate in this Plan:
• your children
• your parents or grandparents,
• your grandchildren,
• your girlfriend, boyfriend, spouse or domestic partner,
• your roommate and
• stepchildren and foster children who do not live with the team member at least six months of the year.

COMMUTER EXPENSES
Each year, the IRS sets the limit for the maximum pre-tax advantage for qualified commuter expenses. For 2012, the IRS rules that govern the
program allow a tax-free maximum of $125 per month for transit expenses and $240 per month for parking expenses.
Qualified Commuter Expenses
The following list identifies common expenses incurred as you commute to and from work. Expenses that are reimbursed by your employer or not
related to commuting are not eligible for this program.

Expense Eligible: (Yes/No)
Bus: Yes
Ferry: Yes
Parking at or near work: Yes
Parking at or near public transportation to get to work: Yes
Streetcar: Yes
Ferry: Yes
Subway: Yes
Train: Yes
Vanpool (seating for 6 or more adult passengers, excluding
driver; 80% of mileage is to transport employees and 50% of
seating capacity used for employee transport): Yes