Archived Two Situations last night that made me feel uncomfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarZHAYnotTarGET

Former Salesfloor TM
In both scenarios, I was covering a break for the Electronics TM. I'm normally a Sales Floor TM, and both of these situations happened within 15 minutes of each other.

1. Guest is looking at flash drives. Comes up to me saying he found one where the ad sign says $7.99, but he scanned it at a price scanner and it came up $17.99. I scanned it with a MyDevice and it came up $17.99, so I asked him if he could show me where he got it from. He took me to where he found it- It was on the correct peg, correct DPCI and everything, but the ad sign had expired one day ago and someone missed it during takedown.
I removed the ad sign, but told him that because it was the store's fault for missing that sign, he shouldn't have to pay for our mistake, and I would honor the $7.99 price, which I did. He bought it and I took the price down by guest price challenge. Did I do the right thing?

2. A guest comes to electronics with a few items and several gift cards that she wants to load up. The items are token purchases (a trash can, a couple bottles of face soap, and something else), but what surprised me was the amount she wanted put on the gift cards. She split her items into 3 transactions:
Transaction 1: small bathroom trash can and two gift cards for $600 apiece
Transaction 2: two bottles of facial soap, two gift cards for $600 apiece
Transaction 3: a token item and two gift cards for $700 apiece
All transactions went through with no issues

Since I didn't work today, I haven't yet partnered with my ETL-AP to discuss this. I've had people buy significant quantities of gift cards before, but not load that much onto them. Are there precautions I need to take when dealing with something like this in the future?

1) you did the right thing.

2) That's totally sketch. If anyone is purchasing a giftcard for more than $50-$100, I'd send them to guest service. Scammers like to go to the remote registers because they figure they won't be hassled or the cashiers in the back of the store won't be as familiar with fraud. They're usually right. If you ever feel uncomfortable processing a transaction you should call your TL or the LOD.

1.) you did the right thing.

2.) it's very shady and she was probably committing fraud. there's nothing you can really do about it since all transactions went through. just be careful next time and let your AP know.

Number two is shady. When that happens call ap or the lod. Even if it's right afterwards, call them over. They are able to deactivate the gift cards. Chances are, it's fraud (stolen cards). If it's not brought to their attention and caught, target could be out all that money on gift cards.

Number two is shady. When that happens call ap or the lod. Even if it's right afterwards, call them over. They are able to deactivate the gift cards. Chances are, it's fraud (stolen cards). If it's not brought to their attention and caught, target could be out all that money on gift cards.
If Target followed all policies set in place by their credit card processor and the OP didn't override anything, the loss should fall on the credit card company.

If Target followed all policies set in place by their credit card processor and the OP didn't override anything, the loss should fall on the credit card company.
I'd like to know how this actually goes. Does the CC chargeback target or do they eat the loss? Anyone have experience with this? Sending them to GS probably wouldn't have done much if she still wanted to buy them, it's not like we can really deny her buying the gift cards.

I'd like to know how this actually goes. Does the CC chargeback target or do they eat the loss? Anyone have experience with this? Sending them to GS probably wouldn't have done much if she still wanted to buy them, it's not like we can really deny her buying the gift cards.

When I was the Office Manager for the Big Box Book Store the credit card companies would send challenges to us concerning certain charges and I would have to go through the POS to research the damned things.
Then I would have to fill out the forms, put copies of the POS reports and send it to the CC companies.
One I remember was a woman who bought six hundred dollars worth of movies at Christmas time.
It was her, the card was valid, but it came up declined the first time it was swiped.
Now you get glitches like this all the time, right
And what do people always say, "That can't be right, the cards good."
So you run it again and the cards good.

Well, in this case the glitch was the card was good and because we ran it twice, the company had to eat it.
Surprised me, I can tell you.
So we were telling all the cashiers that they couldn't run cards twice which of course caused all kinds of pissed of customers.

was she loading the giftcards up using credit cards or other giftcards?
If the purchase looks shady, I ask for ID for the credit card. IF they say that they are gift credit cards (like the amex/visa/mc that we sell) I tell them I need to see if I can get approval for it because we aren't supposed to load giftcards in that manner. As soon as I get on the walkie to call LOD or AP, Most of the guests say, oh never mind. I only once had one get indignant about it.

was she loading the giftcards up using credit cards or other giftcards?
If the purchase looks shady, I ask for ID for the credit card. IF they say that they are gift credit cards (like the amex/visa/mc that we sell) I tell them I need to see if I can get approval for it because we aren't supposed to load giftcards in that manner. As soon as I get on the walkie to call LOD or AP, Most of the guests say, oh never mind. I only once had one get indignant about it.
God, do i miss the days when we could do this. Our scammers got smart and started calling corporate on us, now if we try that we could get coached. If only they could use those brains for good things.

Yeah, the scammers get more creative all the time. They want the dumbest of the dumb serving them, and the saddest part is that target lets them get away with it..

Don't you wish corporate would grow some and stand behind the team members who actually care...

God, do i miss the days when we could do this. Our scammers got smart and started calling corporate on us, now if we try that we could get coached. If only they could use those brains for good things.
The reason is that by visa/mastercard/amex/discover rules you cannot ID a cardholder unless the card is signed. I think this is an idiotic policy that encourages fraud, but I'm not the smart fuck that thought of it. So corporate sees that letting some fraud through, even if someones bank account gets drained and they overdraft several times, is cheaper for them to either contest that with their processor or eat the charge than it would be to get on visa's bad side by IDing cardholders.

1. You did the right thing. But I would let AP know after the guest is gone. It could be a guest who kept the ad sign and put it up on the day they could afford it.
2. Call AP right afterwards or a LOD over to process the transaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back