Archived Underperforming TMs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I really need some advice on how to handle this. I'm a newly promoted TL for the same workcenter that I worked as a TM. I'm having trouble adjusting to my new role as the TL of the people that at once were my peers. There are many opportunities that I need to address both performance and operational wise but I don't want to go in flaunting authority. I'm not that kind of person, I'd rather work along side them and help them grow but I have one particular TM that is always late, clocks in and steps out to talk on the phone and who is always cursing even in front of guests. What do I have the power to do? I already spoke to this person and told them why I need them to stop doing those things especially with cursing in front of the guests but it has not stopped. Any help please?

Take a look at the guidelines for coaching. If you are unfamiliar with it, talk with your HR. Make sure that TM knows that if they receive repeated coaching and warnings with no improvement, that kind of behavior can lead to termination.

It might not be easy for you, since you're a new TL and and aren't used to thinking of your team as subordinates, and you seem averse to confrontation, but as a TL you are responsible for getting your TM to stop being late, stop talking on the phone on the clock, and start being brand around guests.

So, it sounds like you need to sit down with them and have a documented coaching. Partner with both your ETL and the ETL-HR. Sorry, but you can only be so nice. They have to be held accountable for their continuous lack of performance. It's not fair to the rest of the team. As long as you are professional and Target Brand about it, you have your butt covered. It sucks to feel like the bad guy, but the rest of the team will respect you for holding their peers accountable.

I already held the team accountable for attendance because it was horrible including this particular TM but this person takes everything personal and is very immature when it comes to understanding where they did wrong and won't own up to their mistakes.

If they are consistently late and their attendance doesn't improve, you could have them gone within a month or two. Two PDDs would equal a corrective action, two further PDDs would equal a final, and another PDD after that is a term. If they're late to every shift, you could have this process completed within two months easily. But they'll likely start improving when they get to at least a corrective action if you thoroughly express the process of escalation (unless they really don't care about their job.)

Talking on the phone while on the clock is loafing, and this and cursing around guests are both conduct PDDs, so the same process of escalation would apply.

If they haven't been coached for any of what you mentioned yet, then your store has serious issues managing accountability. In any occasion, partner with your ETL-HR and ask for a full crash course on accountability; coachings, the process of escalation, the whole works. Then ask your ETL-HR which ETL is the best at managing accountability, and ask them the same thing. By the end of these two conversations you'll know everything you need to know about accountability except how to actually execute it. Consider having your workcenter's ETL sit in with you on your first PDD, and then have your ETL-HR walk you through documenting that conversation.

...is the first half of it. The second is generally stepping up to your role as a leader. If nothing else helps, think of it this way: it's either your job or theirs. If you have underperforming TMs under you, their performance is a judgement about how well you manage your team. Also, if you have a team of top performers, your job becomes tremendously easy, and who doesn't want their job to be easy?

I already held the team accountable for attendance because it was horrible including this particular TM but this person takes everything personal and is very immature when it comes to understanding where they did wrong and won't own up to their mistakes.
In your PDD discussion, let them know (1) your/Target's expectation (2) how specifically they failed to meet that expectation and (3) the consequences of continuing to not meet that expectation. That's really all they need to know. Whether they're in denial about it or whether they take it well is irrelevant. If you've expressed those points clearly, that's all you can and need to do.

In your PDD discussion, let them know (1) your/Target's expectation (2) how specifically they failed to meet that expectation and (3) the consequences of continuing to not meet that expectation. That's really all they need to know. Whether they're in denial about it or whether they take it well is irrelevant. If you've expressed those points clearly, that's all you can and need to do.
Okay I'll do that. I think the issue is that I'm holding them accountable for things my former TL never addressed. Actually my former TL never held the team accountable so now that I'm in role, I want to change that and I'm sure some of the team are seeing that as me trying to be authoritarian although I've been very lenient and only addressed attendance so far.

Last edited:
Hello Kartman. Actually had a snap neck like a twig day. Thanks for that humor, helped me keep a sense of perspective and humor. Also saved a tm from having a third new one torn.
By me anyway.

It's best you do it when no one's looking.

Are there times when TLs need to be offstage? I have to write my schedules on Wednesdays and email certain things to my ETL and DM but the rare times I step off the floor, I have some TMs who complain as if I am doing some sort of injustice. I feel like I can't win it's frustrating.

Are there times when TLs need to be offstage? I have to write my schedules on Wednesdays and email certain things to my ETL and DM but the rare times I step off the floor, I have some TMs who complain as if I am doing some sort of injustice. I feel like I can't win it's frustrating.

Of course there are going to be times when you have to go off the floor.
If you aren't making a habit of disappearing for a ridiculous amount of time and keep your crew in the loop there shouldn't be any problem.
Let them know where you are going, how long you should be gone, what you expect them to do while you are gone, and that you will give them treats and rub their bellies if they get everything done before when you get back.

Of course there are going to be times when you have to go off the floor.
If you aren't making a habit of disappearing for a ridiculous amount of time and keep your crew in the loop there shouldn't be any problem.
Let them know where you are going, how long you should be gone, what you expect them to do while you are gone, and that you will give them treats and rub their bellies if they get everything done before when you get back.
I do tell them and I'm only gone at most about 30 to 40 minutes but I have some of them believe that I'm supposed to be there all the time making drinks or brewing coffee. About 95% of the time, I'm on the floor with them but there are things that I also have to get done and they don't see that.

I do tell them and I'm only gone at most about 30 to 40 minutes but I have some of them believe that I'm supposed to be there all the time making drinks or brewing coffee. About 95% of the time, I'm on the floor with them but there are things that I also have to get done and they don't see that.

In the wise words of Robin Williams "Joke em if they can't take a fuck."
You don't have to explain yourself to them all the time.
If you have told them what you are doing, they don't get a word in the matter.
That's why you are the TL.
Don't let it bother you.

Last edited:
In the wise words of Robin Williams "Joke em if they can't take a fuck."
You don't have to explain yourself to them all the time.
I you have told them what you are doing, they don't get a word in the matter.
That's why you are the TL.
Don't let it bother you.
That's true, I guess I'm just struggling on trying to make them happy when I should really be getting things done on time. I'm still new in this role so I'm trying to learn as much as I can and getting comfortable with being a TL.

As far as off stage work, I'd do it at the beginning or end of a shift. if you don't set aside time to do what you need, you may get caught up helping another work center.

In regard to what your team thinks of you, you should care in most cases. It's easy to create a disconnect when you're a superior to others, so keeping with them on the front lines helps maintain a good balance. Delegation can be a great tool, but also a great risk if equality is not upheld.

As far as off stage work, I'd do it at the beginning or end of a shift. if you don't set aside time to do what you need, you may get caught up helping another work center.

In regard to what your team thinks of you, you should care in most cases. It's easy to create a disconnect when you're a superior to others, so keeping with them on the front lines helps maintain a good balance. Delegation can be a great tool, but also a great risk if equality is not upheld.
Beginning or end of work, before or after a break. Somewhere you can sneak it in without people realizing you are "on the floor" or missing for a period of time is perfect. Also a slow moment when there are no guests or very few or actually double coverage without you.

Going gentle is great at first, but you don't want to turn around and realize they are so used to walking all over you that there are permanent footprints on your forehead.

I promoted and stayed at the same store. Many of my team members from my area hung out with me prior to my promotion. Don't try to be gentle at first,
you already know the team - focus on the leadership aspect. For my first few weeks, I tried to get to know the team and stuff. I would see mistakes or things that were going wrong, but I didn't really challenge them. My STL actually wanted me to do this, which I regret because once I wanted to fix stuff up my team was not understanding. "But you were okay with this before..." Honestly don't worry about coming off as hard.

For attendance everyone already gave you great advice.

I do my offstage work at the beginning and end of my shift. I hardly take breaks, but when I do I usually do my offstage work with that time. For schedule writing day
I make sure I schedule double coverage, so my team members aren't completely alone. Regardless of what you do, people will still complain that you don't work enough or that you don't accomplish enough. It honestly doesn't bug me and I just tune it out. Good luck and if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back