Archived Leading TMs, Red Metrics

Status
Not open for further replies.

soyaxo

So-Called Something Or Other
Long rant. Maybe I'm wrong.

Since I've been back, I have posted a lot more on here about the culture of my store. We are an A volume store that is possibly becoming A+ volume, if the current sales trends continue. However, that's the company-wide trend, so it's no surprise. As pretty much everyone on here knows, Target was my first job. I have been with the company on-and-off for these past three years, and have held and maintained good faith with all the other jobs I have held and gained experience from. Currently, I actively am working with Target as well as my main job, working 35-40 hours at both each week. I have worked with my SrTL, who has been the same person throughout my entire employment, and have worked on my small opportunities (guest servicing more confidently, pushing truck accurately and quickly, tasking when I complete my daily tasks [i.e.; going into price change or another thing that's months behind that doesn't seem to be as big of a concern as it should be. :)] I've also worked on greater opportunities for my own improvement (working in other workcenters to support the teams, setting POGs for RTW and going outside of my area to help with their workload, etc.] Sadly, in just three years, I have seen my store go from green in almost every metric to red. I've never seen corporate visiting so many times at my store.

I have seen three ETL-GEs, three ETL-SFs, many SL leaders that have come and go (SRs have always stayed the same for the most part at my store, and now I'm starting to see why, because they seem to care much more). I've talked about training new TMs and how I would genuinely be interested in leading the team and driving results. I always get the same bullshit responses about how I'm "too nice" and "have too many personal relationships with my team in SL that could lead to conflicts of interest". I suggested transferring stores, but then got told there are no openings. Although this seems to be true, I have lost a lot of faith in some of the people I have known for so long from my own store. However, I am consistently continuing to work to continue to improve (driving perfect attendance for myself, being available for other TMs consistently, supporting Electronics/Beauty/Front End with breaks, back-up, lunches, sorting things correctly (empty tags, for example) before sending them up to the front end so that they are incredibly easy to process, and making sure that I at least know my workload if I'm unable to stay because of class or my other job). I've always believed that you must support everyone if you want them to support you. I have gotten great feedback from several of my long-time leaders, but still don't feel like I am being supported enough anymore after recent events.

Recently, we have gotten rid of the "LOD" shift. When you call for an LOD, you won't get a response. You must call for a specific person. This isn't bad, as this is exactly how it was at my other jobs. They wanted team members to own their areas, too, and it made sense. It does make sense for Target. However, they have also been working to figure out which team member should be developing for leadership next. We have a misogynistic asshole who has been there since November, who throws people under the bus to make himself look good, and who has been doing everything else but actually supporting the people in his department (SL Men's). He is extremely manipulative, and many people are upset at the idea of him being a leader. We have a person in my department, actually the trainer for RTW, who has been in two different workcenters, and has only been back in SL since August. He has less support than the other team member, but he's still being considered. In the TL meeting, I had some support. I had my name brought up by the leads I have been working directly with, but the other two TMs were talked about the most. They're awful to work with. I have been shocked by the shit they get both get away with on numerous occasions. These are people who are supposed to be examples for other team members, but doing something as simple at grabbing their own reshop from the fitting room is too hard for them. They have been given the...permission, I guess? They have been given the permission to "lead" the team whilst leaders work on the backroom (which they are working on, I've seen it, but they passing off their tasks to these TMs in order to see who the next leader should be). It's going awfully. These TMs are driving morale into the ground by the way they are treating the rest of the team, and I'm tired of it. Many other TMs are tired of it.

I have communicated this as clearly as possible to my leaders. If not this particular team, I want to be able to influence the results at another store because I know I am capable. I know that I am able to task well, lead by example, and resolve other issues for the team besides the physical work. We have a much stronger need than a strong male figure in leadership. We need someone who is going to hold the team accountable, who is able to communicate with the team because they know them more than just a body working on the sales floor pushing truck onto the racks and tables and backstocking the overstock. We need to get back on track with the VMGs, out of the thousands (months behind) for price change, drive stronger zones, and work on supporting other teams (there is not a single excuse for the same team member going up for back-up cashier consistently). There is no reason to be hearing that a team member that is working for the night will "definitely need help because there's no way they will finish their zone". My leaders are pleased with my passion and positive professional relationships with a majourity of the team, but it's not enough. They like knowing that I have leadership experience from my other job, and I'm actively back in school pursuing a relevant degree. I'm doing everything I can do with what I'm being given, but if they want me to do more, they're going to need to give me the resources to show them what I can do. I'm not saying that I can do everything, but I can be a greater positive influence than they seem to realise. Although I am well aware that modernization is making some of this impossible, I know there's no way in Hell it can excusably stay this bad. I know that some of it is due to the strong lack of accountability that has developed in my store, and I'm over it. This is not the store I was once so proud of, and I do not want to see this continue. I know that I have strengths that these new TMs who are up for consideration will never have over me, and I just want that to be clear.

Honestly - you have 2 choices. Get another job. Or continue doing the best job you can while working at Target while knowing that certain people/teams will continue to get away with shit.... you can take the high road, and be there for the rest of your team.

I feel your pain. Though I have no desire to be a Leader in the store, I actively witness other Leaders getting away with murder. We probably have 1-2 good TL's in my store. that's it.

Honestly - you have 2 choices. Get another job. Or continue doing the best job you can while working at Target while knowing that certain people/teams will continue to get away with shit.... you can take the high road, and be there for the rest of your team.

I feel your pain. Though I have no desire to be a Leader in the store, I actively witness other Leaders getting away with murder. We probably have 1-2 good TL's in my store. that's it.

The leaders who are getting away with murder probably drank the kool aid. Do that and you’re golden, even if you do very little else. Sad but true.🙄

I’m tired of waiting for karma. I want to take action

Karma has her own timeline, but but her arrival is glorious to behold. Karma is busy working her magic on my store at the moment, but maybe she will get to your store next, sounds like a visit is about due.🤞😁

Sorry your store won’t give you your chance to show them what you can do, but remember it’s their loss and not your fault. That remark that you are “too nice” to lead is bs. The best leader I ever had was also the nicest, was fair with everyone, never asked anyone to do anything that she she wouldn’t do herself and took care of her team. Her team would have done anything for her. That’s leadership in action! I suspect your leadership doesn’t want to promote you because you are too valuable to them where you are, for less pay, which is chickenshit to say the least.🙄🐓💩

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back