Archived Unexpected NCNS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, so I've been working at Target as Plano for three weeks now. This week i was scheduled 3 days, Mon to Wed. On Wed ovn, my TL asked a colleague if she was available to work Thurs. He didnt ask me.

When i was leaving for the night, another TL (? Im not sure what his role is, but he seems to have answers for everyone) asked if i was working tonight and i said that my TL didnt ask me, so he said to show up just in case, since there was going to be a big layout change.

Commute fair is pretty expensive so i didn't want to do that and realize im not working. I was trying to check the online schedule to see if they added Thurs, but it wasnt working. I called in and asked HR if i was working, but she couldnt access it as well, and told me she'd call back at 8.

I was working another job that night and they wanted to extend my hours, but I told them i wasnt sure if i could work that long. 8 came and went and i didnt receive a call so i assumed i wasnt working.

This morning, i decided to check if the schedule was working, and lo and behold, im added on this past Thursday. I called and tried to explain myself, but the HR lady said that she'd have to talk to her manager and for now, it would be NCNS.

Im really upset right now because i dont want this on my record. If they were expecting me that night, they would have called me, right? Like they call people who are late or whatever to see where they are. I didnt receive any call from them. They have my number and called before so it's not like they didnt have the means.

I really wanna go in right now, mainly because i want to pick up my first check, but also because i want to clear this up in person, but i dont know if the right people are in right now.

Is Target pretty understandable about correcting their own mistakes like this? Ive had two jobs where even if it's their fault, i should have been the one to double check and nudge them so they won't correct it. I have a phone record of calling them. And how long do they keep the paper schedules? So i can show that i wasnt originally scheduled that night. Since im a new worker, things like this have more weight and im reaaally hoping i can get this fixed.

Last edited:
Explain it in person to your TL and HR. They can see when a schedule was edited. I am assuming the person who asked you to work was an ETL, but you should try to find out. If someone asks you to work, ask if they are going to put you in the system, and if you don't know who they are, introduce yourself and find out.

If the wall schedule and the online schedule are different then your schedule was changed. When someone asks ( key word is asks) you to work then it implies that you are not scheduled and they are asking you to come in. They shouldn't ( key word shouldn't ) add you to the schedule until you have agreed to come in. I would just talk to them explain to them etc. Tell them you were asked if you were working and you told them no and take it from there.

Unless it is on the posted wall schedule or swap shift book, it cannot be ncns. Fight it.

You'll be fine. If anyone asks, just say nobody asked if you wanted to come in and nobody else seemed to know if you were added anyway.

Thank you for your replies! I'll use that advice for next time!

Anyway, I finally got in today and apparently, no one knows wtf is going on, but I don't have a NCNS so it's all good.

I'm just bummed with HR for being too "by the book" without their own thinking. All the responses I kept getting was "Well, if you were scheduled and didn't show, then it is NCNS." Yes, I know the definition, but I have special circumstances that I wish you wouldn't gloss over *face palms*

They cannot tell you to just to show up just in the event you might be scheduled. Your leadership failed to confirm scheduling a shift for you.

You can have them compare the posted schedule with the computer schedule. In some states, once the schedule is posted, employees have to initial any changes to their schedule.

There must be clear offer for a shift and you must accept it, or you can argue it.

You did your due diligence in checking up on the schedule but wasn't offered any clear answer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back