Archived Unloading the Truck More Efficiently

Status
Not open for further replies.
So your line doesn’t get set before you leave for the day? Are your uboats labeld with the custom block and the dbos name? The line should set on its own with the dbos . They return the uboats back on the line with the appropriate custom block .

Yes the uboats are labeled and Some of the uboats are returned to where they’re supposed to be. I always bring mine back. A lot of TM’s don’t and when we get in, in the morning we have to go searching. Our other problem is that we’re already low on uboats, and some things don’t get pushed. So I’ll come in and see some of the same uboats that I filled up the morning prior still filled and never touched. So then I have to take that out and find an empty one. The first half hour is a lot of moving things around at my store. When i did overnights, and was scheduled 10pm-6, we started the unload by 10:05, that hasn’t been the case when we went to a 4am store.

Another issue is we always have to hold up the unload when the vendors come in because they can’t get through so we have to move vehicles or disconnect the line so they can go where they need to go.

This is much closer to what I experience day to day. We constantly struggle to find vehicles. There are days when PP2 and half of Dry Market go untouched and we're scrambling for u-boats all morning just to unload.

Yup exactly! I just said the same thing in my most recent post lol

Another issue is we always have to hold up the unload when the vendors come in because they can’t get through so we have to move vehicles or disconnect the line so they can go where they need to go.
No no no , the vendors needs to come after 8 am not before . Have the receiver change his schedule . The only reason I would stop the truck is if I run out of vehicles, but for vendors ? Fuck that no can’t do . Even Fdc knows not to show up until 8 and if he does he has no problem waiting .

The longest time that took my team to unload a 2400 pieces truck was 3 and half hours due to the the fact that the stupid driver parked it on the 4th dock . Even with the electric skate I needed a pacer which I normally don’t use but had too so I keep the freight on the line coming from the 4th dock

No no no , the vendors needs to come after 8 am not before . Have the receiver change his schedule . The only reason I would stop the truck is if I run out of vehicles, but for vendors ? Fuck that no can’t do . Even Fdc knows not to show up until 8 and if he does he has no problem waiting .

Vendors at my store come at 5AM.

I've heard of several smaller stores that completely stop unload for vendors and FDC. They basically have no choice.

I don't know how to break this too you, but you're living that top 1% life in your shining beacon of Target Utopia of sensible scheduling and competent upper management. I imagine your STL understands the actual importance of logistics and a clean backroom.

Like I said, putting in my transfer ASAP 😆

I've heard of several smaller stores that completely stop unload for vendors and FDC. They basically have no choice.

I don't know how to break this too you, but you're living that top 1% life in your shining beacon of Target Utopia of sensible scheduling and competent upper management. I imagine your STL understands actually the importance of logistics and a clean backroom.

Yeah that store sounds great doesn’t it?lol. Look I’ve enjoyed my 4 years at target for the most part but I’d be lying if I said anything ever ran that smoothly.

I don't know how to break this too you, but you're living that top 1% life in your shining beacon of Target Utopia of sensible scheduling and competent upper management. I imagine your STL understands the actual importance of logistics and a clean backroom.

My Stl doesn’t like to micromanage. Just wants to know what we need and he will support with scheduling and what not.

Yeah that store sounds great doesn’t it?lol. Look I’ve enjoyed my 4 years at target for the most part but I’d be lying if I said anything ever ran that smoothly.
Believe me my store is not here because the way target rolled the modernization or by sticking to the book. We were one of the pilot stores so we started this 2 years ago and we tried and switched things around to what works best . And scheduling was the biggest part of it , and elevating the team to where we needed too.

Believe me my store is not here because the way target rolled the modernization or by sticking to the book. We were one of the pilot stores so we started this 2 years ago and we tried and switched things around to what works best . And scheduling was the biggest part of it , and elevating the team to where we needed too.

Oh I’m sure it took work and a lot of figuring out but it sounds like things run pretty well there now. My store has been unorganized the entire time I’ve been there lol, they continue to change things to see what works as well but we’re going backwards. Stuff ran A LOT better overnight, things got done, all push was completed by 7:30am the latest, when we started the truck at 10. It wasn’t perfect but everyone had a specific area, now it’s all jumbled and random. When we first switched to 4am, we were told we had to unload the truck(s), stock the floor and be in the back, back stocking by 8:30am. Suffice to say That hasn’t worked out at all.

My Stl doesn’t like to micromanage. Just wants to know what we need and he will support with scheduling and what not.
Holy shit. 😍😍😍

It feels like my STL is sabotaging my team most of the time, especially with scheduling. Modernization has been a nightmare.

Holy shit. 😍😍😍

It feels like my STL is sabotaging my team most of the time, especially with scheduling. Modernization has been a nightmare.
Who is making your schedule . Usually it’s me and the other gms tls doing the schedule .

This also comes down to how your truck line is laid out. I have vendors who come at 6am, but they can get around through receiving and go behind the end of the line. Everyone who comes that early has their own set of wheels so no need to worry about finding them a u-boat or flat. Even my pop deliveries can unload if they happen to show up that early because our one bay lines up directly with where they park their pallets.

The only vendor I have that is SOL during truck unload is my milk guy. We won't break the line for him so sometimes he has to sit a bit waiting for the truck unload to be done. The only person we break the line for is our C&S delivery because I guess it is in the contract that we have to (not sure how accurate this is but I just go by what my boss tells me)

There are some vendors that don't give a fuck and have been pushed around several times and now just don't care. I can't blame them.

What are your receiving hours? Receiving doesn't open until 10 for this very reason at my store. Depending on who the vendor is, we will let them come in if they arrive early but most of them have to come back during the posted hours

Who is making your schedule . Usually it’s me and the other gms tls doing the schedule .
After our Log-ETL quit (partially due to butting heads with the STL), the STL started making the schedule. They never worked logistics and salivated over the idea of carving up our team and hours for dayside and mid-shifts. Most of our team was bumped to either after 7 or even 1 pm and only the bare minimum were allowed in at 6am. Now if uboats do start getting worked by DBOs, it isn't until after 8:30 or 9.

Our store was told it isn't allowed to do 4am unloads unless we have a double, only 6. I imagine your store is relatively high volume given your truck sizes and 4am unloads.

No way it should take that long with that many people . My team does a 2800 in 2 hours max. 1 thrower , one back of the line , and 3 on the front of front of the line. It supposed to be 5 people tops including the unloader.
Then your sort must suck and your stock time is longer. It's takes longer to unload when you have a good sort. And a good sort means shorter stock times which is always the goal.

What are your receiving hours? Receiving doesn't open until 10 for this very reason at my store. Depending on who the vendor is, we will let them come in if they arrive early but most of them have to come back during the posted hours

All our vendors show up at 5am, usually a half hour into the unload.

Then your sort must suck and your stock time is longer. It's takes longer to unload when you have a good sort. And a good sort means shorter stock times which is always the goal.
Sure if you say so. Yet everyone meets their goal . Just because you can’t do it , doesn’t mean I can’t . I have the resources to meet my goal.

Our pushers don't come in until 3 hours after we start the unload, at the soonest, because everyone has to work mid or near-mid shifts unless they're Inbound. We run out of vehicles because we have no one pushing the vehicles we fill.

How are your pushers allowed to come in so early? The entire point of Modernization is to have people on the floor throughout the day.
Because I’m a triple A volume store and pp1 has to get done before the store opens . Pp2 comes 8-4:30 and then at 4:30 the 5 closer with the two closing leads.

So it's kind of unfair to say Modernization is working when your store in particular is receiving treatment that most other stores are not.

Sometimes we don't even get DBOs in for their area before 12, which is when their autos should have been completed. So someone else has to do them. We also only get 1 closing expert, who mostly just zones.
It’s not unfair . Like I said we are one of the pilot store and my Sd who knows how to run the dam store made changes to what works for the business to bring in the sales and coming clean and current .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back