Archived Unloading the Truck More Efficiently

Status
Not open for further replies.
.. but we're not supposed to make changes. That's the point. Modernization is the opposite of ASANTS. All stores are supposed to unload later. All stores are supposed to favor mid shifts.

If we could schedule our team like yours, it might work for us too, but our DSD won't ever allow it -- nothing our SD can do.
We were an overnight store so we moved to 4 am. Luckily our DSD likes the green process . When the regional vp came for a visit said they don’t need to come back because we are good.We have people in the stores all thru the day and night . No need for gm to back up cashier or any other departments but their own.

Last edited:
So you have a small army, sensible scheduling, full support from your STL, get to come in earlier than most stores and can ignore/bypass some of the bigger modernization issues most other stores are dealing with. You're not the top 1%, you're the top 0.01% 🤣

We have a huge disconnect.

Too many subjective standards. This is why you have to engineer changes like the one we are going through.

By the way, there are only 3 sales levels now. I believe the first is up to 32 mil, second 32 to 74 mil, and third is 74 mil +. My store belongs to the first group. Each has an allocation model to be followed. Looks like no one can follow it. ASANTS is a cancer within that will eventually be the end of Spot.

We keep reverting back to our previous thrower. The rest have left. He's been with us for about 10 yrs. We have another guy who can handle it too. Both can easily overwhelm the line with freight. It is not uncommon for them to step off the truck to help sort repacks and freight. Other than that, we have no one else.

As for us getting it done, 5 on the line/truck - one thrower, two sorters on each side of the line (one is a TL, one pulls bulk, handles problems,sorts freight and repacks, one sorts market and repacks, one sort repacks and freight (repacks on the line - soft lines and #4 & #6). We also have three breaking out soft lines. After the truck is unloaded, two sort cosmetics and #3 repacks. The rest go to their areas.

The biggest variation in time is due to trailer condition, number of available vehicles, and team member call offs. We can go anywhere from 1.5 hrs to almost 2.5 hrs on a 1300 piece truck. A poorly loaded truck on Saturday = a long unload. Larger trucks present an even bigger challenge as we do not have the numbers (payroll) to staff accordingly, nor do we have enough vehicles to handle the excess freight before the first wave of pushers comes in. Even then, the boat stays swamped

There was a time when we look at a 1300 pies truck and say we'll only be here for a couple hours. Now we can't even finish one. :(

It’s not unfair . Like I said we are one of the pilot store and my Sd who knows how to run the dam store made changes to what works for the business to bring in the sales and coming clean and current .

We were in the middle of a store leadership change. We lost an ETL and some TL's. The ETL that was left kept trying to do things the old way while under the "pilot" stage. Now we're in trouble as we're loosing seasoned team members and new team members just can't keep up due to the knowledge curve. Training, well that's just a word that translates into extra payroll.

Even if we did hybridize the modernization process, we would still lack the payroll to make it work.

The whole payroll allocation model is seriously flawed as the time requirements were not measured and standardized prior to the pilot program.

We start the unload at 6 am, if we are lucky and the line is clear. No small army, and we are starting to run out of empty vehicles.

shit.show.

An idea of how

Our district we can’t unload @4a

Everyone is forced to come in at 8.

The fact that you have so many people on a schedule at once shows me your store is given so much payroll. We barely even have 7 people in GM for the morning. Style would have 5 people for the ENTIRE day. Tech and Beauty only gets enough hours to just have an opener and closer. It would be nice to have that much extra payroll to have more staff.

Our district we can’t unload @4a

Everyone is forced to come in at 8.

The fact that you have so many people on a schedule at once shows me your store is given so much payroll. We barely even have 7 people in GM for the morning. Style would have 5 people for the ENTIRE day. Tech and Beauty only gets enough hours to just have an opener and closer. It would be nice to have that much extra payroll to have more staff.
Yes we do have the payroll . Lille I said my store is 85+ mil store

After our Log-ETL quit (partially due to butting heads with the STL), the STL started making the schedule. They never worked logistics and salivated over the idea of carving up our team and hours for dayside and mid-shifts. Most of our team was bumped to either after 7 or even 1 pm and only the bare minimum were allowed in at 6am. Now if uboats do start getting worked by DBOs, it isn't until after 8:30 or 9.

Our store was told it isn't allowed to do 4am unloads unless we have a double, only 6. I imagine your store is relatively high volume given your truck sizes and 4am unloads.
Yes . And we use to be overnight and had to switch to 4 am .

Always 3 scheduled in tech

We have 2 everyday besides weekends scheduled and well the only area not feeling the strain of modernization to the full extent like others. Yes there’s issues but u can barely tell unless u talk to a tech consultant

We have 2 everyday besides weekends scheduled and well the only area not feeling the strain of modernization to the full extent like others. Yes there’s issues but u can barely tell unless u talk to a tech consultant

We have 2 in tech for weekdays and 3 on the weekend

Yes the uboats are labeled and Some of the uboats are returned to where they’re supposed to be. I always bring mine back. A lot of TM’s don’t and when we get in, in the morning we have to go searching. Our other problem is that we’re already low on uboats, and some things don’t get pushed. So I’ll come in and see some of the same uboats that I filled up the morning prior still filled and never touched. So then I have to take that out and find an empty one. The first half hour is a lot of moving things around at my store. When i did overnights, and was scheduled 10pm-6, we started the unload by 10:05, that hasn’t been the case when we went to a 4am store.

Another issue is we always have to hold up the unload when the vendors come in because they can’t get through so we have to move vehicles or disconnect the line so they can go where they need to go.
Also an issue is pallets still in the way from previous trucks. Can be transitions and shippers. Now bullseye pallets of repacks.

Also an issue is pallets still in the way from previous trucks. Can be transitions and shippers. Now bullseye pallets of repacks.

Yep I forgot to include that as well. The most bizarre thing that happened in my store one time was when someone misplaced two parts of the line....like how does that even happen? So the unload took so much longer because we had to walk the boxes to the line once we got deep enough in the truck.

What the hell are the teams in this thread doing with their unloads?

I know most stores have slowed down their unloads with modernization but the times you all are giving for the past are absolutely nuts...

My last store we would do a single of any size, including 2800, in ONE HOUR. If it were a double with two huge trucks it would take a max of 2.5 hours total.

Your leaders absolutely suck ass if they were running 3 hour unloads on single trucks, LMAO.

What the hell are the teams in this thread doing with their unloads?

I know most stores have slowed down their unloads with modernization but the times you all are giving for the past are absolutely nuts...

My last store we would do a single of any size, including 2800, in ONE HOUR. If it were a double with two huge trucks it would take a max of 2.5 hours total.

Your leaders absolutely suck ass if they were running 3 hour unloads on single trucks, LMAO.
Kinda what I was saying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back