Archived Unpaid vacation limits..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!
I'm new to the Target team. I just had my orientation yesterday and training will be in the next two weeks. I'm excited to begin but I have a big issue on my hands. I go overseas at least once per year for around a month. I'm taking a trip to Argentina and Brazil for 3 weeks in late December to January. My issue isn't being paid for vacation. I am more than happy to take it unpaid, but whether I will still have a job waiting for me when I return. I'm leaving Christmas Day and am planning on working as much as I manage as a college student during BTS, Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. I want to work here long term(2 years) and don't want to lose my job. Please don't judge my situation as I didn't want to ask HR as I'm so new and it would be unprofessional. Plus it's so far away(around 5 months) that there may be a slight chance I may not be able to go. Before I buy my plane tickets, I want to make sure I won't be losing my job. Do you know if it's possible I can be terminated for taking a 3 week (unpaid)vacation? What is Target's policy on this? Thank you!!!

You will have to take leave of absence & turn it in early. Also, talk to your hr & etl to give them the heads up.
Welcome!

The vacation length will be fine. Will you be able to get that time off though? Possibly not - blackout period runs from Thanksgiving until early January. Better talk to your hr now though, they can help out if you give them enough time ahead of the date you'll be leaving.

The vacation length will be fine. Will you be able to get that time off though? Possibly not - blackout period runs from Thanksgiving until early January. Better talk to your hr now though, they can help out if you give them enough time ahead of the date you'll be leaving.

If its after Christmas it should be fine for the most part, but would have to ask HR

If by late December you mean up until Christmas, I would approve that in a minute. Jan hours drop so low its pathetic. Last year ours dropped in half by Jan 4. If you mentioned this during the hiring process no big deal. If its something you weren't upfront about they may be ticked. However if you work your tush off in late Nov and early Dec it shouldn't be a problem.

If its after Christmas it should be fine for the most part, but would have to ask HR
Usually my store wouldn't care but the last 2 years they became hard asses and lock the store down. Matter of fact I think our blackout started November 1st last year. I do remember a TM requesting off in December though, it was a cruise that was prepaid a few years ago. There was no problem since she had said something early enough.

At my store, the entire week of Christmas is blacked out (including the weekend after). Your store may be different.

Personally, I would wait until right after you finish your probationary first 90 days of employment before saying anything. If you start asking about time off in the 4th quarter already, they might decide to cut you loose.

Just a follow up, sorry for the late reply. I was told by the HR-ETL that I wouldn't be allowed to get that time off and I would need to put in my two weeks notice. I couldn't believe it... But I've found a new job on campus that is a lot more supportive with my studies than Target is(scheduling wise).

That's good that you found something different. Retail is not for everyone. It's an universal unwritten rule that you don't ask for anytime off between thanksgiving and the new year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back