Archived Using your Target Member discount for a friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend wants to buy a PS4 so that he can play online with me, but he doesn't want to pay $399.99 plus taxes. I'd like to help him out by using my team member discount and help him save a bit of money. Is it safe for me to use the cash he gives me and go to a different Target store other than the one I work at to make the purchase? Is there a chance I might lose my job?

Just do what everyone else does. Have your friend give you the money so you can purchase the item with your discount. There's no way they can/would track you down

It's technically against policy, because you are only allowed to buy people things that are gifts....not things they pay you back for. But if he gives you the cash, there is no way for Target to prove it wasn't a gift, so it should be fine. Just don't bring your friend with you to have them hand the cashier the money or something stupid like that.

What if he gives me the cash and I deposit it into my bank account? That way I can use my Team Member discount plus my Red Card discount. Is it also safe to do it like that?

So long as you are holding your discount card, and paying with cash/redcard that was in your posession when you entered the store, that $399.99 PS4 is yours for $359.99 plus taxes.

If you do something stupid like lend your discount card to a friend when you're not there, or go in together and hand over your discount card then the friend pays, or loudly talk about how you saved your friend 10% in front of AP/TLs, you're looking for trouble.

The discount card is meant to be for your use only, but if the transaction has no reason to look weird, it wouldn't be a problem.

A few weeks ago I bought a laptop, after price matching a website and TM discount and red card signup, I got it for way less than we were selling it. If I were buying that on a daily basis, I expect I'd be having a chat with AP/STL by now. As I only did it once, it looks like what it is - bought a laptop for the best price I could. There is, as with so much, a reasonableness threshold - if you've already bought 3 or 4 of them, this is not a good idea. If not, it's technically against policy but you'll be fine.

What if he gives me the cash and I deposit it into my bank account? That way I can use my Team Member discount plus my Red Card discount. Is it also safe to do it like that?

It's fine because there's no way they would know that the money wasn't yours to begin with. Like everyone has already said, don't be stupid about it and bring your friend with you and have them pay.

So long as you are holding your discount card, and paying with cash/redcard that was in your posession when you entered the store, that $399.99 PS4 is yours for $359.99 plus taxes.

If you do something stupid like lend your discount card to a friend when you're not there, or go in together and hand over your discount card then the friend pays, or loudly talk about how you saved your friend 10% in front of AP/TLs, you're looking for trouble.

The discount card is meant to be for your use only, but if the transaction has no reason to look weird, it wouldn't be a problem.

A few weeks ago I bought a laptop, after price matching a website and TM discount and red card signup, I got it for way less than we were selling it. If I were buying that on a daily basis, I expect I'd be having a chat with AP/STL by now. As I only did it once, it looks like what it is - bought a laptop for the best price I could. There is, as with so much, a reasonableness threshold - if you've already bought 3 or 4 of them, this is not a good idea. If not, it's technically against policy but you'll be fine.

And if that website wasn't the target.com website, the TM who did the price match could end up in trouble. One of the first rules of price matching is that the TM discount can only be used on paper fliers and the target.com website. Competitor websites are not eligible for the TM discount.

But this is why I get TMs in from other stores who want to argue policy with me when their store won't enforce the rules.

OP, long as you purchase the PS4 (you fork over the money + discount card), you should be OK.

Just don't have your friend with at all, purchase it by yourself, they can't really prove anything once you're outside of the store.

And if that website wasn't the target.com website, the TM who did the price match could end up in trouble. One of the first rules of price matching is that the TM discount can only be used on paper fliers and the target.com website. Competitor websites are not eligible for the TM discount.

But this is why I get TMs in from other stores who want to argue policy with me when their store won't enforce the rules.

Target policy is price match or TM discount, not both for future reference.

Fortunately, my cashier was HR, supervised by GSA-TL, with an ETL's full knowledge, so if it ever comes back, the blame is fairly diffused :) If that rule also applies in Canada (we pricematch .ca websites, no .com including Target.com and don't have an online store on target.ca) it's never been applied properly at my store, TMs were saying it was common when we opened for new TMs to be questioned if their discount was combined with a pricematch to ask which store/site the match was. (I'm not GSA, and if anything like that came up when I was on checklanes, blinker on, let someone who lives those policies do it).

Point is, a normal transaction (buying a PS4) definitely not a problem. Target don't ask you where you got the money from.

My friend wants to buy a PS4 so that he can play online with me, but he doesn't want to pay $399.99 plus taxes. I'd like to help him out by using my team member discount and help him save a bit of money. Is it safe for me to use the cash he gives me and go to a different Target store other than the one I work at to make the purchase? Is there a chance I might lose my job?
I wouldn't be posting on here about it. Just remember its a automatic FINAL if you're caught. Is saving money for your friend really worth it?

Lol ok here is the deal target does not care who uses your discount trust me on this as long as you dont steal or use a stolen card with it basically they can care less if your friend uses it we do not check id over discount cards

[*]No, that won't work, Target will know it's fishy that a TM can afford such extravagances and send someone from corporate to his house to see if it's actually hooked to his TV.[/*]

*Which font was the sarcasm font again? :p

3oh96g.jpg

Lol ok here is the deal target does not care who uses your discount trust me on this as long as you dont steal or use a stolen card with it basically they can care less if your friend uses it we do not check id over discount cards
Don't listen to this guy. My store just put 10 people on final last week for discount abuse.

Don't listen to this guy. My store just put 10 people on final last week for discount abuse.

Your store must be a high risk then because AP really doesn't care as long as nothing fraudulent is going on or stolen cards being used so u can let your friend or family member use your discount.

Don't take your friend with you when you buy it. And don't let anyone know that you used your discount for him.

Unless Target can prove it, you did nothing wrong and are innocent until proven guilty.

I seriously doubt that.
I was one of the ten....why would i lie?

Seems very unlikely that ten people at once would misuse their discount and get caught doing so.

Seems more like something someone from corporate would tell people to scare them from doing it.
Mine was from two months ago. Got the wrote up last week. They had saved pictures and everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back