Archived v43 POS Changes - What to expect!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is another trick for the new POS system that I don't think has been mentioned.

There is a way to get chip cards to swipe

This trick cannot be used to get cash back or to make debit payments on a redcard. However, it can be used to bypass the PIN part of a chip credit card.

To use this trick, take the card and insert it backwards, with the chip facing the wrong way, out of the machine. The card reader will say something to the effect of "Chip read error reinsert card." Repeat this step two more times. On the third attempt, the message will change its language to include "swipe card." At this point, it can swipe like a normal card but without needing a pin.
Hardly a trick, it's there so guests aren't screwed if we run into issues. It's far easier just to run the chip card as normal...

I've actually run into many, many guests that do not know their credit card pin. This is an option to bypass.

According to the new pin and chip laws that went into effect, if a credit card with a chip and pin is processed with the magnetic strip, the store will be the one on the hook for any fraud liability. Also, the amount of credit card fraud any store sees on any particular day is stunning. That will be great press when it gets out that employees are helping others get around the system.

Do not do that, folks. It simply isn't worth losing your job over.

If spot sees this being used frivolously and without an explicit need, I can see them handling it with corrective action.

It's still possible for someone to steal the info on the stripe and burn it onto a new card. If the chip doesn't work, the safer method is for the guest to type in the information since it's an extra step to actually write down and know what's supposed to be on the card.

I got my new Target Debit Card in the mail and there is no mag strip period. I know other cards have both.

According to the new pin and chip laws that went into effect, if a credit card with a chip and pin is processed with the magnetic strip, the store will be the one on the hook for any fraud liability. Also, the amount of credit card fraud any store sees on any particular day is stunning. That will be great press when it gets out that employees are helping others get around the system.

Do not do that, folks. It simply isn't worth losing your job over.
I didn't realize other GSA's were so demure.

During the Chip + Pin rollout, its quite common to see honest guests have no idea that their chip credit card requires a pin, or that their credit card even has a chip, for that matter. I am very often called to registers to answer trivial questions about chip cards.

All else being equal, more options are better than less options. If you don't feel confident distinguishing between fraudsters and honest guests, feel free not to use the option I mentioned above. Otherwise, I have found it has been useful.

To note, the liability switches on October 1st.

Even if you scan the information fro
I didn't realize other GSA's were so demure.

During the Chip + Pin rollout, its quite common to see honest guests have no idea that their chip credit card requires a pin, or that their credit card even has a chip, for that matter. I am very often called to registers to answer trivial questions about chip cards.

All else being equal, more options are better than less options. If you don't feel confident distinguishing between fraudsters and honest guests, feel free not to use the option I mentioned above. Otherwise, I have found it has been useful.

To note, the liability switches on October 1st.

I can tell the difference between honest guests and fraudsters fairly often but none of us are 100% right with that...but regardless, the stance is if the guest doesn't know their PIN, they need to get in contact with their bank...not expect stores to commit fraud to get around the system.

Once again, its a matter of judgment.

If a guest is purchasing $20.00 worth of vegetables and has no idea what their pin is, then I'm not going to throw a hardline and tell them to contact their bank. You, of course, are free to do so.

The term "fraud" implies a fraudulent transaction. A guest who owns the balance but doesn't know their pin cannot fraudulently assign a balance to the card.

Whether or not you trust your judgment enough to put your job on the line is up to you. I prefer to leave my guests happy, and have not been fired as of yet in the process of accepting their credit cards.

Once again, its a matter of judgment.

If a guest is purchasing $20.00 worth of vegetables and has no idea what their pin is, then I'm not going to throw a hardline and tell them to contact their bank. You, of course, are free to do so.

The term "fraud" implies a fraudulent transaction. A guest who owns the balance but doesn't know their pin cannot fraudulently assign a balance to the card.

Whether or not you trust your judgment enough to put your job on the line is up to you. I prefer to leave my guests happy, and have not been fired as of yet in the process of accepting their credit cards.

I trust my judgment, and make decisions every day about stuff regarding guests. But you aren't helping them in the long run, because once they do it that way once, they will expect to do it that way forever and never actually fix the real issue. Case in point...the number of people who couldn't remember their Redcard PINs and we told them we would do the 5% "just this once" dropped to zero when we stopped helping them. They actually got the problem fixed (or gave up the charade, who the hell knows). And you have to remember, your cashiers are watching what you do...and if they think it is okay to do, you will eventually have a cashier who does it for a fraudulent transaction because they thought it was the right thing to do.

Do what you want. Clearly this is an ASANTS a thing. But for those of you who want to try it, I would definitely check with your GSTL or ETL-GE. I guarantee mine would go through the roof.

If the card stops being responsive during a transaction, which seems to happen a lot now, hit k3 for credit, then k1 for all of it, then k1 for hand key.After that just back out to payment. It seems to trick the system to use the card reader again. It always works for me and my cashiers
I'm so happy I found this info....we (cashiers) were instructed to suspend and retrieve the transaction. Just yesterday I was asking my GSA how to remedy this. She told me that was our only option. I've been sick over this as I do not trust the suspend key. I'm feeling better now. Thank you!

About the only thing I don't see in this thread that may be useful:

You currently can hit K8 for extras menu, and then K8 again for card reload for the prepaid redcards.

Except, that only works at a service desk register, card reload doesn't exist in the extras menu on a normal register.

To do card reloads at a normal register it must be done mid-transaction.

Once you've scanned at least one item Card Reload becomes K8, so what I've been doing is typing in 090990999 (aka no barcode) for a arbitrary amount, then hit K8, add to their redcard, and then scroll up and void off the no barcode item before hitting total.

Game the system in what manner?

Most people I see using them use them for shopping online to minimize potential damages from identity theft.

Game the system in what manner?

Most people I see using them use them for shopping online to minimize potential damages from identity theft.
They were using gift cards that had PIN numbers to reload their cards. It's been discussed here before on what they were doing. Something to do with their miles earned on the cards or something like that.

About the only thing I don't see in this thread that may be useful:

You currently can hit K8 for extras menu, and then K8 again for card reload for the prepaid redcards.

Except, that only works at a service desk register, card reload doesn't exist in the extras menu on a normal register.

To do card reloads at a normal register it must be done mid-transaction.

Once you've scanned at least one item Card Reload becomes K8, so what I've been doing is typing in 090990999 (aka no barcode) for a arbitrary amount, then hit K8, add to their redcard, and then scroll up and void off the no barcode item before hitting total.
At my store when I reload my prepaid RedCard at a normal register it works fine with the K8 K8 method without any workarounds. Sometimes I'll have to teach the cashier how to do it though. :)

Weird, even with supervisor access I don't have it show up on a normal register except once something else has been scanned.

They were using gift cards that had PIN numbers to reload their cards. It's been discussed here before on what they were doing. Something to do with their miles earned on the cards or something like that.
It's called churning. Basically, people add money to the reloadable redcard with their credit card to obtain the rewards (Spend $X in T time and get Z reward). Since the reloadable redcard is an AmEx card, you could turn around and pay off other bills with it.

It's called churning. Basically, people add money to the reloadable redcard with their credit card to obtain the rewards (Spend $X in T time and get Z reward). Since the reloadable redcard is an AmEx card, you could turn around and pay off other bills with it.
Thanks for explaining it. I knew it was something like that but wouldn't have been able to explain it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back