Archived v43 POS Changes - What to expect!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeah, we never use the lanes for returns or REDcard payments. It confuses guests and makes them think it's okay for returns/payments to be processed at any regular checklane. We have a service desk for a reason.

This doesn't apply to iGS, of course, which is literally a checklane for returns (terrible idea, by the way). Even then, you should be limiting processing of returns & payments to the designated iGS checklane.

I get that, but when we only have a SDTM until 9, and the GSA has closing duties, what else are we supposed to do?

That's what we get every night
The majority of cashiers are trained in GS so we can continue to help guests out after the SD closes.

*grumble*

Shutting down GS that early can hurt the vibe and I wouldnt recommend. You can easily do GSA duties while covering GS it's not that difficult especially at night.

Yea speed weaving and watching the front lanes. No one cares about their GSTL leaving to work the service desk?

Well if there is no Service Desk person than that isn't an issue. We don't get our SD person until 9am or 10am each day anyways. Closing Guest Service at 9PM seems like a silly move when it's not that hard to walk the lanes and peek over at the SD every couple of minutes.

Sure, it's not impossible for the GSA to continue monitoring GS, but I just feel like all this is potentially added stress that didn't necessarily need to exist. There's been no problems with the lanes having the ability to process returns when it was needed, so why stop now? It may not be the best idea, but when we're working with what we've got, I'd rather guests think they can return stuff via the lanes then getting pissy waiting for someone to run over to the service desk

Thanks for the post. Our POS hasnt been upgraded yet so I feel more prepared for it now.

The manual enter on the card reader is not unique to Target, rather how it is at every store with chip and PIN. Staples just switched to manual entry on PIN pad too with their chip and pin rollout.

The manual enter on the card reader is not unique to Target, rather how it is at every store with chip and PIN. Staples just switched to manual entry on PIN pad too with their chip and pin rollout.

Something tells me it has something to do with liability. Target is switching to accepting chip and pin before the liability for fraud falls on the entity who did not use the chip and pin functionality. Examples: Guest uses magstripe card and gets their card stolen. Liability: Whoever issued the non chip card because Target uses the chip technology. If the guest had to swipe a chip card because Target did not support it, it would be Target footing the bill for any fraud because a chip card was presented but Target did not have the technology to accept it. By accepting manual entry only, the liability will perhaps fall on the issuer of the card for the card being unreadable even though Target had functioning equipment, but if we had used the mag stripe, the liability would definitely fall on Target.

I wonder what the reasoning is for taking the cashier completely out of the equation when it comes to handling a guest's credit/debit card. Was there some frivolous lawsuit filed somewhere about a cashier swiping a guest's card? Will touching a guest's card give me rabies?

Honestly I don't understand it. Guests are pretty terrible at swiping their own cards. Now we're expecting them to manually key their own numbers in? And what about the security issue of having the guest swipe their own IDs? That'll make it a lot easier for minors to buy alcohol, if the cashier can't even touch the ID to ascertain its authenticity.
The magstripe reader on the keyboard is literally a keyboard as recognized in windows, and is thus easy to keylog should malware make its way onto the computer. The credit card terminals run Linux and are secured much better, plus they encrypt card data before passing it onto the register (so any malware would only get the last 4 digits at best).

I think that IDs should not be swiped at all if the cashier can't do it, they should just be scanned instead.

Something tells me it has something to do with liability. Target is switching to accepting chip and pin before the liability for fraud falls on the entity who did not use the chip and pin functionality. Examples: Guest uses magstripe card and gets their card stolen. Liability: Whoever issued the non chip card because Target uses the chip technology. If the guest had to swipe a chip card because Target did not support it, it would be Target footing the bill for any fraud because a chip card was presented but Target did not have the technology to accept it. By accepting manual entry only, the liability will perhaps fall on the issuer of the card for the card being unreadable even though Target had functioning equipment, but if we had used the mag stripe, the liability would definitely fall on Target.
I don't think so, see what I posted above. Chip cards can still be swiped if they are put into the reader and the reader sees that the chip doesn't work. This is how it works even in Europe.

For manual entry I still think the cashier should do it, even if on the card reader. The cashier would select the option, then take the card and input the data onto the reader. The reasoning is the same as above, the keyboard on the registers is too easy to keylog should malware get onto the computer, while the card reader encrypts that info before it gets to the register. The smart hacker that figures a way to hack these readers to get the card information before it's encrypted will make a lot of money.

We start to close a little early, at like 9. But we still leave a desk register open. My store leaves 7 registers open at night. 1 Guest service, 4 checklanes, and 2 electronics. We are a c volume store doing b volume sales 45% of the time.

We start to close a little early, at like 9. But we still leave a desk register open. My store leaves 7 registers open at night. 1 Guest service, 4 checklanes, and 2 electronics. We are a c volume store doing b volume sales 45% of the time.

Thats exactly how we do ours. Close all GS registers except 1

We almost never did returns on registers, if we did returns we did them under FIX A MISAKE > Double scan... that way it doesn't mess with defective flags or sorting etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back