Archived Vendor Credits

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, question with vendor credits. If the backroom backstocks vendor product down the SNCK aisle and forgets about it for almost a year, then decides to purge it all out and brings me all the vendor product that is expired should I try to get vendors to do credits for these items? I have had some vendors tell me that could not do credits for it because they don't even carry the items anymore. If vendors are unable to do the credit should I just hit the "override to destroy" option in defectives for these items?

I have a similar question concerning out of date/damaged frozen items. So, if anyone can help @Backroom22 and myself I would appreciate it

I have a similar question concerning out of date/damaged frozen items. So, if anyone can help @Backroom22 and myself I would appreciate it
Were your vendor items also backstocked? I ask because if the vendors did not know where they were, it's not their fault. If your items are just stuff you discovered on the sales floor during the reset, then keep the packages but toss the product. Give the packages to your receiving TM to get a credit.

@Backroom22 i will see what I can find out for you. Some items may depend on if they are scan based or not. Receiving TM is not in until Monday, so if anyone else has an answer before then.......

@Produce Queen The frozen vendor items were not backstocked . They were kept in the freezer on a rack...the vendors all knew it was in there as well as the receiving tm. The receiving tm says the vendors only come on certain days....but when they do come he will not tell them about the outdated product. The srtl who is over the sales floor, including groceries says its the receiving persons job etc. So it just sits in there...some of the product has been expired for almost a year .

@Produce Queen The frozen vendor items were not backstocked . They were kept in the freezer on a rack...the vendors all knew it was in there as well as the receiving tm. The receiving tm says the vendors only come on certain days....but when they do come he will not tell them about the outdated product. The srtl who is over the sales floor, including groceries says its the receiving persons job etc. So it just sits in there...some of the product has been expired for almost a year .

You srtl is right, it is the receivers job, but why aren't they being held accountable by the srtl?
Ok, at my store there are plastic bins in receiving labeled with each vendor. I dump out the product and put the empty package in the corresponding bins. If you don't have the bins, dump the product and put the empty pkgs on the receivers desk. Your receiver is responsible for getting the credit. Your srtl can score the vendor red if it's not done in a timely manner.
So, by you moving the old product out of the freezer where it is "out of sight, out of mind" for your receiving TM, you've now put the ball in their court. Let your srtl know what steps you've taken.

When I go back to work I will bring up to the srtl about scoring the vendor etc. I have tried to hint around that the srtl could force the receiver to do something but I guess I need to hint harder lol

Well there's always the Steritech threat. Not sure they'd think it's a good idea for expired product to be around even if it is in the back. God forbid a merchandiser accidently puts it out on the floor right?

Well there's always the Steritech threat. Not sure they'd think it's a good idea for expired product to be around even if it is in the back. God forbid a merchandiser accidently puts it out on the floor right?
You would think they would think of things like that ...but they don't. They are making something so difficult that doesn't need to be .

It always seems like vendor mdse gets backstock with our snack and drink mdse. It happens during seasonal and trans. resets. If its so old its not in their system or ours the vendor & I go with something similar. If your not comfotable doing this get the ok from your exec team. To prevent this I take it on myself to walk br monthly looking for vendor mdse. I honestly feel like Receivers are being held accountable for vendors actions more than when we had Ctl.

In the case of the OP, I don't think the vendors should have to issue credits. But for @tgtguy yes they should and the recieving TM should facilitate this. But that's just my opinion.

You can scan the item in credit, if it is still in that system then it can be credited out and charged to the vendor in question. However, if it is a large amount, the vendor is going to try and avoid it as they'll take a hit. Best bet would be to reach an agreement with them to take it out bit by bit so it isn't a gigantic hit all at once. Otherwise the threat of a red score is the way to go.

So, question with vendor credits. If the backroom backstocks vendor product down the SNCK aisle and forgets about it for almost a year, then decides to purge it all out and brings me all the vendor product that is expired should I try to get vendors to do credits for these items? I have had some vendors tell me that could not do credits for it because they don't even carry the items anymore. If vendors are unable to do the credit should I just hit the "override to destroy" option in defectives for these items?
Technically? No, it's your fault for not following the process. But if you take good care of your vendors, they will probably credit it for you.

I once had a frito lay vendor credit an entire pallet of cross dock product that was sent to us from the DC. He took a 500 dollar hit and donated the product to us.

The next week I gave him a check lane end for dollar week. He killed it.

They all tell you vendor partnerships should not work this way, but honestly, they do.

When I was a BRTM, I had to get on my backroom team CONSTANTLY about backstocking vendor merchandise. My BRTL didn't care and the previous CTL didn't care so I took it upon myself (I was a receiver before I transfered so I'm really familiar with vendor products) to keep our aisles as clean as possible. If you're ambitious enough, I recommend keeping tabs on it so you don't have to worry about finding really old stuff. The best thing I could recommend is asking the vendor to credit it, if they do then great! At the very least you tried and you just defect it anyway.

As far as frozen food goes, there's typically only 3 vendors (4 if you count ice) that bring in the cold stuff: Nestle, Red Baron and Blue Bell (and we won't be seeing those guys for closer to 6 months from now). The vast majority of your frozen vender product is going to come from Nestle and they're scan-based. Different regions of Nestle follow different rules for damaged product (where I learned receiving, the merchandiser had to collect UPCs of bad product) so try to work with the vendor on handling the outdated stuff. If they won't cooperate, partner with your ETL-Food or equivalent and (if they agree) toss it. Red Baron and Blue Bell will need to be credited.

(I am at t he point that I am not going to worry about the frozen out date and damaged items anymore. I am a team member not a team leader . I have had a srtl tell me I need to stay on the ctl to make sure the issue is taken care of ( hmm yea I am sure that would go over well ). I have tried and tried...this person blames the next...that person blames someone else...its a merry go round of blame and I am getting off. I care about my workcenter ( backroom) but I am not going to beg someone to do their job when they are a leader and I am just a mere team member . I will do enough to cover my own ass but that's it . Just tired of the bs ( AND I DONT MEAN BACKSTOCK)

Last edited:
@tgtguy "Not my Circus Not my monkeys". :D Love it!

@Backroom22
Be careful about overriding to destroy, we lose money when that it done. I do what @vendordontmesswithme does and will walk the BR when I have time and do a SUBT pull if I see vendor product stocked in location.
There are times when product you find is old and is not in their system anymore but 90% of the time it is still in ours. If that is the case I ask them to credit me a comparable item that is the same price point and scan out the actual product that is being credited.

@tgtguy
Same for you. However, Red Baron pizza/Dryers ice cream is an SBT vendor so you do not do a physical credit for them. If the SBT vendor still does not remove the items ask to score them red in the vendor score card.

When I find outdated product that was stocked in location I don't ask to score the vendor red, it wasn't them, they have no idea the majority of the time that it was backstocked. I ask for credit and let them know that it will not go against them on our scoring report. If it was a lot, I would ask for partial credits to get the product taken care of. HOWEVER, if this is a vendor that does has backroom space (not located) and it is found that there is expired credit weather it be a little or a lot I have no pity and demand credits. I have refused vendor delivery orders in the past for not picking up credits. I also ask for them to be scored red.

It is the receivers job to get credit form the vendors however we can't see everything and where everything is all of the time. Help is always appreciated. Every once in a while a BR TM will see vendor product backstocked in location, do an SUBT pull and bring it to me. That makes me smile. :D

Just an update on the out of date /damaged frozen vendor items. I went into work today and the items were gone. I was told that the ctl finally did their job and made sure the vendor did theirs....I was happy to say the least .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back