Archived Version 45 and Why It Didn't Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
The card readers will not work sometimes. If we suspend the transaction then scan the suspend slip that usually fixes it. However, sometimes when we do that we get error messages when we try to scan the suspend slip. When that happens we have to rering everything on another register. It's very random and restarting the register usually fixes it.
Also, when we scan an ID it takes a really long time for the register to talk the info from it.

Here's a work around that should work almost 100% of the time: Get the payment screen, hit K3 (Credit), then K1 (All of it), and then K8 (Key Credit Card Number). Once it resets the Card Reader and pops up with the Key Credit Card screen just back out to the payment screen. This fixes most Card Reader freezes and K3 + K1 increases the time you have so you have a better chance to get a speed score and with Chip Cards it doesn't affect what payment the Guest is using at all.

I really thought this was just our equipment; I've been cracking the joke lately that the computer was taking longer to calculate the change than I was.

Had a card reader suddenly disconnect from one of my registers at closing last night, with two lanes open and all other registers closed because I didn't expect the card reader to suddenly stop talking to the machine. That was a thrill and a half. I've noticed a few card readers doing that lately but I don't know if that's just cables or related to all this..

You can dismantle the card reader and then put it back together to make sure all the connections are properly working while the register is shut down. Once that's done reboot the register and it should fix your problems. If it shows back up then its time to MySupport it.

You can dismantle the card reader and then put it back together to make sure all the connections are properly working while the register is shut down. Once that's done reboot the register and it should fix your problems. If it shows back up then its time to MySupport it.
I'm sorry, I should probably keep this to myself, but how often do you nonsupport? I mean mysupport? Whenever I VERY CLEARLY explain what I need with ALL my info and numbers etc, they ask for all the same info I already sent ( you know- so we don't have to play tag) AGAIN (why?) and this is all after WAITING 3 or 4 days to hear back. Sorry I just think there needs to be a better solution 99% of the time than nonsupport. I get more information & help off this site than WB or nonsupport.
That being said, thanks for taking the time to update everyone! That is why I come here!!

True, but it's one less eternity you have to wait for the drawer to open. Everything on the registers takes forever these days; it's just a matter of how many forevers you have to wait during each transaction.

Which is alot. Lol. And we have brand new registers because our store is fairly new ish.. still doesn't help much.

Thank you for your response. Are you recommending that we always hit K3 and K1 to avoid problems with the card readers? Or are you recommending we do that when the card reader does not work?

#1 is a freaking NIGHTMARE!!! I had to try 4 times the other day to request change because it kept switching to $20s.
This happened frequently at our SB register whenever I put in a change req & that was BEFORE I left last year.

I'm sorry, I should probably keep this to myself, but how often do you nonsupport? I mean mysupport? Whenever I VERY CLEARLY explain what I need with ALL my info and numbers etc, they ask for all the same info I already sent ( you know- so we don't have to play tag) AGAIN (why?) and this is all after WAITING 3 or 4 days to hear back. Sorry I just think there needs to be a better solution 99% of the time than nonsupport. I get more information & help off this site than WB or nonsupport.
That being said, thanks for taking the time to update everyone! That is why I come here!!

I don't MySupport often because I can fix everything wrong with the registers myself most of the time. Card Readers you have to MySupport because you can no longer send them back and ask for a new one. Obviously registers start slowly decaying and their catalina printers and receipt printers start to die too, and that I usually have to MySupport unless I can fix those.

Thank you for your response. Are you recommending that we always hit K3 and K1 to avoid problems with the card readers? Or are you recommending we do that when the card reader does not work?

So you have to do K3 + K1 + K8 to reset the Card Readers because it forces it to pop up a screen when you have to type in the Card Number. Once the Register pops up with that screen you can back out to the main payment screen and the register will once again allow you to use the card.

We had 6 registers down in our store this afternoon in one hour. Perfect timing on a busy holiday weekend.

Here's a work around that should work almost 100% of the time: Get the payment screen, hit K3 (Credit), then K1 (All of it), and then K8 (Key Credit Card Number). Once it resets the Card Reader and pops up with the Key Credit Card screen just back out to the payment screen. This fixes most Card Reader freezes and K3 + K1 increases the time you have so you have a better chance to get a speed score and with Chip Cards it doesn't affect what payment the Guest is using at all.
This does work. It takes longer than suspending. But with the chance that suspending will throw up errors, it's the way to go.

We got a new update and now we can't ring up suspended self checkout transactions so that's cool. I'm sorry ma'am, but I have to re-ring your cart full of groceries that you already packed.

I have a weird issue I'd like to bring up. When doing a return for a same day purchases from another store, we have to type in the information manually, including tax. If the tax is a flat number like 8% or 9%, there's no problem. But if it's a number like 8.25%, the register won't let me type numbers after the decimal. So in cases where the tax is like that, I round up to 9, so at least I'm not shorting the guest.
I don't have any issues typing in the whole tax after decimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back