Archived Very tight payroll. How to get everything done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all

Just wondering if are other leaders out there that are getting fewer than 30 hours in a week. Our store is getting the least amount of payroll that HQ can hand (I only work 4 days next week) out without the STL locking the doors forever. I often struggle to get through all of the tasks on the floor (sales plans, clearance, and so on), as well as the paper work (reviews, coatings, and so on). I had a status with my ETL yesterday and she wanted me to walk and make a list of endcaps that need fixed in my area, so we can make a plan to fix these problems. I wanted to tell her that I really did not need to make a list, as I know of least a few problems endcaps. Some of these include ones where the company has little product and also sends a 7x11 sign (can't print out 3x5s or 3x3s either) that states you get something free when your purchase 2 items from this display. This make it hard to flex over the outs, as you can't just anything on there. Also find some endcaps where shelf capacities are too low. Of course I can "my support" these issues, but should I have to (I really don't think they understand what I am telling them, as they are not in the store to see my issue). I really don't have the time to be flexing endcaps that are set when I can't finish what is due for the week. Guess in the future that is all I will be doing when the planogram team takes over this process per HQ. Was told though she would look at getting me some help. I did tell her I was not sure where, as there is not a ton of payroll. She said she might give me someone from POG when they don't use all their hours (tell me when that might be). On a final note to often come with the "i don't care attitude," so I don't go home stressed about I don't get completed and I still need to complete.

I cannot stress enough that you have to start working two weeks ahead on salesplanners if your area's endcaps all transition at once.

I cannot stress enough that you have to start working two weeks ahead on salesplanners if your area's endcaps all transition at once.
Only works when you get the hours. I can't get ahead, as I don't have the time. This means that I am always scrambling at the last minute to finish what is due for that week. This means that I am not able to get ahead. Also my clearance has been insane in my areas (5 back endcaps in HBA, 4 back endcaps in stationery, 5 back endcaps in home decor/housewares, and front focal in furniture. Just about the time i think I set another endcap, as the clearance is starting to sell I end up with another tub of new markdowns to work out.

Make sure you are setting endcaps that aren't regular product. There's nothing worse than not setting an endcap due to clearance that then comes out as clearance because it never got set.

Make sure you are setting endcaps that aren't regular product. There's nothing worse than not setting an endcap due to clearance that then comes out as clearance because it never got set.
My problem recently is the HBA salesplans that are stocked with shippers, as it keeps having the back room team pull them, as they have one or two items in the box that the system thinks we need to stock to the floor. Finally just got rid of some of the shippers for the after Christmas set, as I think I am going to turn the endcaps they were to be set on, into permanent clearance endcaps.

Last time I remember this happening was on a Nate Burkus endcap that was never green or even yellow, so I just kept using the endcap for clearance. Really did not have too much product come out for this one, as clearance.

Wait...you're a TL and have less than 30 hours next week? And only four days? I cannot fathom this. Is my store really that weird that I have always had five days even when I was just a cashier and have always been scheduled at least 25 hours from the week I was hired?

Wait...you're a TL and have less than 30 hours next week? And only four days? I cannot fathom this. Is my store really that weird that I have always had five days even when I was just a cashier and have always been scheduled at least 25 hours from the week I was hired?

Yes, very few people are able to get those kind of hours in my store unless they are a Team Leader. Certain work centers are able to, but cashiers, sales floor, flow, backroom etc. are lucky to get over 20 unless it's 4th quarter.

Wow...I can't imagine. I'm a bit worried with my time coming up next month, but time will tell. I hope things loosen up for everyone soon!

Hours are extremely tight at my store. I'm a lead and having been giving hours away left and right to help the team. I've worked less than 20 hours a week for about 3 weeks now. Thankfully I can afford to help out the team with hours. My time at Spot is coming to end soon so I don't even worry about paperwork. Review is due today and I will be completely honest on it or just leave it blank.

It's tight as well. Just too make nearly over 30 hours. (So I can keep my health insurance) I am taking one less day off or taking an 8AM-10:30 shift. :/

we (the tls) arent getting less than 40 at my store but still struggling to get things done. because we get 040 that means often times we ar the only ones on the salesfloor so its hard.. just have to keep plugging away, make a list of what needs done and prioritize it.. I personally keep track of things also. like how many hours we do smart huddle and push truck etc. until they combine it all in one im accountable for the hours they give me and the work i have so i keep track for backup incase they want to coach me lol

Yep. I kind of like only working 4 days, as I have both Monday and Tuesday off. Then I also have Saturday and most of Sunday. I do think that will be scheduled the following Sunday overnight to help with new "Destination Beauty" set. I think they are giving me the hours the HQ has allotted for a key carrier to be there overnight, but this person will be my ETL. Just kind of scared, as I we were told that they were not giving us any extra hours to demerchandise the area. These hours are come from the sales floor.
we (the tls) arent getting less than 40 at my store but still struggling to get things done. because we get 040 that means often times we ar the only ones on the salesfloor so its hard.. just have to keep plugging away, make a list of what needs done and prioritize it.. I personally keep track of things also. like how many hours we do smart huddle and push truck etc. until they combine it all in one im accountable for the hours they give me and the work i have so i keep track for backup incase they want to coach me lol
Fortunately we had not had a smart huddle in a while. I thought they would have had one to stock easter, but I guess there is really no one to call to the huddle. Also the schedule for 2 weeks outs look a little better. Did hear today that I may be spending part of the weekend moving the rear seasonal product back to its normal home locations. After that I did a quick walk noticed a good amount of food clearance, so I decided not to set the last market endcap for this week. No since in setting something that will just need to come down in a few days in order to merchandise this clearance.

They now have me working 6 days a week but less hours each day. This week I was scheduled 6 days with only 24 or so hours. I needed more hours so I came in 3 hours early Wednesday for plano, did a 4 hour plano shift thursday and then stayed 2 1/2 hours later friday night because the LOD asked. I think I will be doing 14 straight days before a day off

That is absolutely right! With clearance it is necessary to always sort your stuff out by percentages if you ever want to set your sales plans. I also pull clearance out of the aisle to endcaps. If you don't you are constantly babysitting the clearance in those aisles. There are ways to manage everything with shit hours.

Another thing, tls are the only ones guaranteed full time. Is that 32 or 40 hours? I have heard both.

That is absolutely right! With clearance it is necessary to always sort your stuff out by percentages if you ever want to set your sales plans. I also pull clearance out of the aisle to endcaps. If you don't you are constantly babysitting the clearance in those aisles. There are ways to manage everything with shit hours.

Another thing, tls are the only ones guaranteed full time. Is that 32 or 40 hours? I have heard both.

To add to this thought...
Clearance endcaps that are zoned sell much better than the ones that look like a tornado ripped through it. In grocery, there usually isn't enough clearance to warrant multiple endcaps, but in areas like toys and domestics...keeping the clearance separated by percentage can really help move that merch off the shelves.

Clearance endcaps that are zoned sell much better than the ones that look like a tornado ripped through it. In grocery, there usually isn't enough clearance to warrant multiple endcaps, but in areas like toys and domestics...keeping the clearance separated by percentage can really help move that merch off the shelves.
I know to do all of that. Only problem is to get others (leaders) to see that needs to happen. That is way I sometimes like it when they leave my clearance alone even when I have lots of other things going on.

At this point, and not to sound rude, but maybe you just need to work faster? If you're already doing everything we've suggested then I feel safe saying that I have no more tips for ya. We're all in the same boat as far as struggling to get the sales floor workload done.

I can agree with this. By the end of the toys reset, most of the toy clearance was sold out because I had zoned the aisle we set aside for clearance constantly. DEFINITELY keep it zoned. I set aside 15 minutes each night to take care of the current aisle that's set aside for sporting goods clearance.

Just do like the leaders in my store do...

When I call out for softlines, or electronics for guest assistance, and no one answers, eventually one of them will inform me there's no one in that department, as if that somehow takes care of the issue.

When I point out that I have a guest at guest services who needs assistance, everyone just banters back and forth about how they can't/won't help because they are working in another part of the store. Eventually the guest realizes the issue, tells me it's "fine" and leaves. And we lose the sales...and this time of year becomes a self-fulfilling proficy in regards to sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back