Visits from safety team

It seems like corporate is aware of the article, but there's been no company-wide "clean your backrooms" memo sent out. To me it seems they're going after the particular stores where pictures were taken, as well as possibly stores in the same districts.

I may just be out of the loop on this because our backroom is very clean, relatively speaking. Some loose trash here and there and the occasional pallet may be Ill placed but it's very walkable.

It seem like they wont and just surprise you. Imo best way catch stores. My store isn't the best but isn't as bad as those pictures. My store biggest issue is sofelines breakout.

Yep, we had a group level person come by with the usual gaggle of business partners. We were given two days to clean up.

It'll be interesting to see what happens.

It seem like they wont and just surprise you. Imo best way catch stores. My store isn't the best but isn't as bad as those pictures. My store biggest issue is sofelines breakout.

Same here. We've had 30+ repacks just sitting in the backroom for several days before they get done. Sometimes they'll clear them out just to roll what's on the truck

We had a DSD visit last week with none of the usual panic before hand. They just walked the backroom, which really (and surprisingly, we have been able to maintain reasonably clean and safe. The DSD then spent the rest of the time in Style talking about merchandising. Let's see how we do when we start getting hit with holiday freight.

That's awesome.
Send teams around to look at the backrooms, then write up the very people who have been killing themselves trying to meet the unrealistic goals that created the problem in the first place.
The beating will continue until the problem goes away.
Instead of examining where the process is broken, where there are systemic problems baked into modernization that create this nightmare, they just punish TMs and move on.
Seriously fuck that.

They need to send teams in tandem. 1 surprise visit in an area and every store within 50 miles uses the telephone tree to alert everyone. This is a great start to blow the whistle on the diminishing safety standards in most stores. I hope they are smart about it and really use the surprise factor. I also hope they don't forget to check the "empty" trailers. As soon as a visiter walked in the front doors without warning, someone would run back and let the back room know.. We shoved so much crap into the trailers, once a TL was actually left in there accidentally. She spent over an hour just chilling on her phone.

Exactly, management needs to be held accountable for these problems, the shit cant always travel downhill. Then the etl 's will already have been warned going into holiday season.

That's awesome.
Send teams around to look at the backrooms, then write up the very people who have been killing themselves trying to meet the unrealistic goals that created the problem in the first place.
The beating will continue until the problem goes away.
Instead of examining where the process is broken, where there are systemic problems baked into modernization that create this nightmare, they just punish TMs and move on.
Seriously fuck that.

Yup, this is exactly what’s going to happen and it accomplishes nothing.

The trucks aren’t disappearing, they’ll just get moved and then it’ll be a mess in another week.

Teams are just forced to hide freight in the 3rd or 4th trailer or outside.

Last edited:
To keep the back rooms maintained in a safe manner, Target’s safety visits aren’t going to cut it. OSHA needs to drop by regularly, and the Fire Marshall needs to stop by, unannounced. The Fire Marshall calling first really takes the sting out of the bee. Nothing like a little regulation to keep things running in the right direction, and the threat of fines/actual fines are a great incentive...🙄

Last edited:
Surprise fire marshal visit happened at my father's store a year ago. Different company buuuut guess what was a god aweful mess and what was horribly blocked? They shut down the building and fined them. Then wouldnt let them reopen until their crap was cleaned and better. Surprise visits are no joke and I hope and beg everyday our store gets one. That kinda reaction will knock some socks off.

Last edited:
If any gross negligence is found, the ETLs on duty at that time need to be put on a final for safety violations. They need to get serious NOW

To keep the back rooms maintained in a safe manner, Target’s safety visits aren’t going to cut it. OSHA needs to drop by regularly, and the Fire Marshall needs to stop by, unannounced. The Fire Marshall calling first really takes the sting out of the bee. Nothing like a little regulation to keep things running in the right direction, and the threat of fines/actual fines are a great incentive...🙄

I feel that this falls on the SD's shoulders. It's THEIR store - they need to know what is going on in every corner. I would never accept a back room looking like those pictures, and if my ETLs and TLs couldn't get the job done, I would document. They should be doing the same with their TMs, if that is where the problems lie. Chain of command - people need to be held accountable. If TMs and leadership can't figure it out, they need to take the problem up the ladder, not just shrug and say "fuck it". And the SDs need to take it seriously and come up with solutions, and then deal with those who can't/won't help.

You can anonymously call your Fire Marshal and report blocked exits etc. They came out every time my receiver used to call.
I find it absolutely infuriating that people don't care about blocking fire exits. When I was in loss prevention at my old job the exits were blocked constantly and no matter how often it was brought up, they just continued to block them. Once again, I feel that is on the store manager - it should be a priority, and people should be held accountable.

We had someone call OSHA about tge fire aisle being blocked and pallets being dropped every which way. Ever since then, the aisle has been clear.

We were getting a visit from our DTL-LOG *and* the DTL-Food today. Not sure of safety inspectors. This has led to "oh, we suddenly have payroll, want hours?" panic scheduling.

Back