• Thread starter JimmyTarget
  • Start date
  • Replies 19
  • Views 3K
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JimmyTarget

First things first, I know what I'm doing. I know what I am getting myself into!
I have 11 months left of my undergrad.

Last fall I applied for the internship at the request of my TL, ETL and STL. My district does not allow internal hires for the position. I've talked about it before on here. It was rough.

My STL insists that I wait and apply for an ETL position after graduation. (I don't think I can make the jump. I know what happens, he disagrees)
My TL who I highly respect wants to bench me now so I can take a position while I am still in school.

I have about 5 stores I can take a position at while still in school.
I don't want to wait until graduation for a job (ETL) but I also think I deserve more than a TL
What should I do?

Become a TL and prove that you are ETL material if you don't get the ETL Position after you get your degree. It's a risk because you may not know how long it's gonna take for you to be an ETL after you become a TL. Most districts have a 16 month policy before you get promoted.

What it comes down to you is if you wanna make this a career.

Is Sr.TL on the table? It's a great prep position for ETL.

I'd take the TL position now and stress during the interview that you see this as a jumping off point and expect to be on the ETL bench shortly after graduation. This is a great opportunity to deliver an awesome first impression to your DTL. Have your STL prep you for some high-scope situations and get you ready for a professional interview.

The only downside to all of this is balancing school + full time. Especially if it's the last leg of your schooling.

Become a TL and prove that you are ETL material if you don't get the ETL Position after you get your degree. It's a risk because you may not know how long it's gonna take for you to be an ETL after you become a TL. Most districts have a 16 month policy before you get promoted.

What it comes down to you is if you wanna make this a career.

I like that idea. I just know (and was told by my STL) that TL is where leaders go to die. It's a huge jump from SRTL to ETL but I believe that I can do it. The whole 16/18 months wait doesn't bother me because I know I have a lot to learn about running a store and leadership.

Is Sr.TL on the table? It's a great prep position for ETL.

I'd take the TL position now and stress during the interview that you see this as a jumping off point and expect to be on the ETL bench shortly after graduation. This is a great opportunity to deliver an awesome first impression to your DTL. Have your STL prep you for some high-scope situations and get you ready for a professional interview.

The only downside to all of this is balancing school + full time. Especially if it's the last leg of your schooling.

I would only really be interested in SRTL because I basically already do the job of a TL right now w/o the pay. In the fall I only have class 2 days a week and the spring only 2 more classes. It would still be tough, but I can do it! Thanks for the post.

Don't take a TL position. Don't take senior either. Srtl is a trap position. It's much harder than etl.

If your Stl thinks you can be an etl, and you are confident in your ability and you know you're going to graduate, they have the ability to send you to etl interviews now. You'd interview, they would sign off and you would move into role essentially with the understanding you would finish your BA.

The ETL position DOES NOT require a degree. It's recommended, but not required. This would probably be your best course of action.

Edit: Also, being an etl is much less about knowledge, and much more about leadership. Understanding a job is important, but not wholly necessary to lead it. If you're honest with your new team, and ask them to help you learn, then actually follow up on that, they will teach you everything you need to know. Expertise comes with experience, but if you can keep a team happy and engaged you can be a successful etl in any role

Don't take a TL position. Don't take senior either. Srtl is a trap position. It's much harder than etl.

If your Stl thinks you can be an etl, and you are confident in your ability and you know you're going to graduate, they have the ability to send you to etl interviews now. You'd interview, they would sign off and you would move into role essentially with the understanding you would finish your BA.

The ETL position DOES NOT require a degree. It's recommended, but not required. This would probably be your best course of action.

Edit: Also, being an etl is much less about knowledge, and much more about leadership. Understanding a job is important, but not wholly necessary to lead it. If you're honest with your new team, and ask them to help you learn, then actually follow up on that, they will teach you everything you need to know. Expertise comes with experience, but if you can keep a team happy and engaged you can be a successful etl in any role

I don't necessarily think that TL/SrTL is a trap. It's a position where you actually have to work and be a leader instead of just a boss.
I haven't heard anything about doing ETL interviews 10 months prior, but I will inquire.

I know ETL doesn't require a degree; according to the rules it requires a bachelors degree OR similar experience. What is this "similar experience"? From my understanding it only applies when they REALLY need a new ETL and that TL just hasn't gotten his/her degree (yet) and they're willing to fudge the info.

TL is definitely not a stall position, unless your store wants it to be. I've watched several tms move from tm to tl or tl to srtl. But ASANTS.

I don't necessarily think that TL/SrTL is a trap. It's a position where you actually have to work and be a leader instead of just a boss.
I haven't heard anything about doing ETL interviews 10 months prior, but I will inquire.

I know ETL doesn't require a degree; according to the rules it requires a bachelors degree OR similar experience. What is this "similar experience"? From my understanding it only applies when they REALLY need a new ETL and that TL just hasn't gotten his/her degree (yet) and they're willing to fudge the info.

There's no info fudging. If they want you to be an etl, and you want to be an etl, then it will happen.

Senior is a trap position because many times, you fall victim to being too good at it. If you're great at it, then they'll force you to wait a full rotation, and most likely not want to promote you. I've sat in etl meetings many, many times where this was absolutely the case.

In my opinion, your stl knows you'll be graduating soon and is dangling the carrot because he doesn't want you to leave after being denied your internship. It is possible he truly doesn't think you can do it without a degree, but in my experience if what they feel is a strong candidate is currently there, they don't wait to move on it.

Again, I could be wrong. But my gut tells me I'm not.

My district has several TM's that worked as TM's until graduation and passed through ETL interviews. We also have one who worked from TM>TL>SRTL> and is going through ETL interviews now.

Advice I've gotten from ETL's, STL's, and a BP in the past has all been consistent: In their words (not mine), it's easier to go from TM to ETL than TL to ETL.

I would also look into what these 5 stores are looking for in TL availability, unless you're finishing college completely online. I've heard of stores that will work around student schedules to an extent, but I've heard of a lot more stores that want open availability from their team leaders.

Also, looking at it from a financial perspective, you'd be working 40 hours a week for an annual salary somewhere between 20k-30k. Is that something you're willing to do while going to school full time, and is that salary worth giving up potential collegiate involvement opportunities or extra time that could be spent studying?

Another thing to seriously consider: What are the TL positions that are open? Yes, you should be versatile and global leader if you'd like to become an ETL, and I'm sure you'll hear something about being a global leader in the store, but you're also still responsible for one department. If it's GSTL, would you be able to drive for green speed/service/redcard scores? If it's starbucks, how are you going to drive food safety, green service, and compliance with Starbucks licensures? If it's plano, how are you going to plan and organize transitions to keep those completion scores green?
-Jumping back to the advice i've gotten that i mentioned earlier, what results are you going to have for an interview that proves you can run not only a green process in one department, but a green store?

My two cents! I tried to stay objective and list my thoughts without sounding critical or anything, so hopefully it comes across that way

If ETL is the goal, and you have the support of your STL, then make the jump to ETL. Here's how it could go down and how I have seen it go down. ETLs are a dime a dozen. STLs are invested a little more but they can also jump ship too or get promoted. TMs and TLs seem to last longer than their leadership. With that said, you could be the shit in the eyes of one leader and be shit in the eyes of another. The transition is as quick as the blink of an eye.

So take advantage of being the shit before you become shit, make sense?

Listen to the STL who wants to make you an ETL, not your TL friend who wants to put you on the TL bench. Which doesn't even guarantee a TL spot anytime soon btw, my last store had a TM on the bench for two years.

You're not a freshman, you only have 11 months to go. Follow the good advice given by paidtosmile and Mhugh220. Continue as a TM for the next year, finish your degree, then tell your STL you've graduated and are ready to take the plunge and become an ETL.

My district has several TM's that worked as TM's until graduation and passed through ETL interviews. We also have one who worked from TM>TL>SRTL> and is going through ETL interviews now.

Advice I've gotten from ETL's, STL's, and a BP in the past has all been consistent: In their words (not mine), it's easier to go from TM to ETL than TL to ETL.

I would also look into what these 5 stores are looking for in TL availability, unless you're finishing college completely online. I've heard of stores that will work around student schedules to an extent, but I've heard of a lot more stores that want open availability from their team leaders.

Also, looking at it from a financial perspective, you'd be working 40 hours a week for an annual salary somewhere between 20k-30k. Is that something you're willing to do while going to school full time, and is that salary worth giving up potential collegiate involvement opportunities or extra time that could be spent studying?

Another thing to seriously consider: What are the TL positions that are open? Yes, you should be versatile and global leader if you'd like to become an ETL, and I'm sure you'll hear something about being a global leader in the store, but you're also still responsible for one department. If it's GSTL, would you be able to drive for green speed/service/redcard scores? If it's starbucks, how are you going to drive food safety, green service, and compliance with Starbucks licensures? If it's plano, how are you going to plan and organize transitions to keep those completion scores green?
-Jumping back to the advice i've gotten that i mentioned earlier, what results are you going to have for an interview that proves you can run not only a green process in one department, but a green store?

My two cents! I tried to stay objective and list my thoughts without sounding critical or anything, so hopefully it comes across that way

If ETL is the goal, and you have the support of your STL, then make the jump to ETL. Here's how it could go down and how I have seen it go down. ETLs are a dime a dozen. STLs are invested a little more but they can also jump ship too or get promoted. TMs and TLs seem to last longer than their leadership. With that said, you could be the shit in the eyes of one leader and be shit in the eyes of another. The transition is as quick as the blink of an eye.

So take advantage of being the shit before you become shit, make sense?

Listen to the STL who wants to make you an ETL, not your TL friend who wants to put you on the TL bench. Which doesn't even guarantee a TL spot anytime soon btw, my last store had a TM on the bench for two years.

You're not a freshman, you only have 11 months to go. Follow the good advice given by paidtosmile and Mhugh220. Continue as a TM for the next year, finish your degree, then tell your STL you've graduated and are ready to take the plunge and become an ETL.

Thank you, all!
I had about an hour talk with my STL
I'm going to be benched next month mainly just for initial face-to-face and recognition with my DTL
Then I will work towards my hopeful future as an ETL!

Long story short I'm the new APTL at my store!

Congrats! That is a higher PG TL position if I remember right, so it looks like you won on both fronts. AP is also a good role because it forces you to have your hands in all the areas and their business, and to learn how to translate their metrics (which you will have to do as an LOD). Good luck on your journey to ETL. The outlook for promotions looks good since the turnover seems to be picking up at the ETL level again, meaning they are promoting more and more (and handing out PG increases faster to hold onto people).

Congrats! That is a higher PG TL position if I remember right, so it looks like you won on both fronts. AP is also a good role because it forces you to have your hands in all the areas and their business, and to learn how to translate their metrics (which you will have to do as an LOD). Good luck on your journey to ETL. The outlook for promotions looks good since the turnover seems to be picking up at the ETL level again, meaning they are promoting more and more (and handing out PG increases faster to hold onto people).

I agree. My APBP also has his own plans for me as well, supposedly. It's been a wildddd ride the past month.

I agree. My APBP also has his own plans for me as well, supposedly. It's been a wildddd ride the past month.

Interesting. I would say just trust your leaders and stay positive. At this point it seems it will be easy to promote unless the CEO decides to slash positions (which I doubt since all the cutting is at the top right now). Go the path of least resistance and let them keeping paying you more for it! Your APBP will have an idea of what they want for you, but ultimately your DTL/STL team will decide so don't get too caught up in your placement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back