Archived Wal-Mart testing new rollout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Idk how well that will work out for walmart.... i can see ppl not scanning items or scanning a similar item that is cheaper and taking the more expensive item.... and i cant see target wasting payroll for a team member to stand at the door and check receipts especially 2 team members if u have two exits

This will never fully catch on for one reason. Bags.

People hate bagging their own stuff. As long as America exists, there will be lazy people waiting for other people to do things for them.

Want to make some real money? Drive FF by using local delivery or locker pickups. Why even leave the house when you can have someone bring it to you for a marginally higher price?

So what happens when the price they scan does not match the price on the shelf? What if they have coupons? So, how do we verify what they purchase matches what they have in their cart? Do we have to remove items in the bags to match everything on their receipt?

It is a smart idea, and it will happen.

Questions we'll get based on how well guests adapted to Cartwheel...

"My phone is at one percent, can you guys charge my phone?"
"My phone died while I was scanning everything, but I swear I paid for this already."
"The store Wifi is down? You mean I have to use my own data?!"
"Download it in the app store? Where's the app store?"
"I downloaded it on my phone, but I don't know where it is."
"Can you shop with me, I don't know how to use this device."
"I scanned and paid for everything on accident, can I return everything now?"
"I accidentally paid for 100 cartons of milk, can we return this now?"

Embrace the New World Order!

Next up, purchasing implants!

Just wave your arm...

Very true, people are stupid.

THEY will think a way around that.

Buy! Consume! Spend...

"My phone died while I was scanning everything, but I swear I paid for this already."
I thought of this too... If they can't use cartwheel effectively, how will they use this?

There are people who have issues using the Kodak kiosks.... Can't imagine them catching on to this.

It would probably be fine for a few people, but I think those people are still in the minority. You'd lose a lot of business if this were the only way to pay for your groceries. I'm skeptical if the kind of people that shop at WalMart or Target could catch on to this enough for it to be successful.

If Amazon for example, opened up a retail store where you could do this, it would probably be a huge success because the typical Amazon shopper might be more adaptable to technology. Integrating this elsewhere though, I'm not so sure. I don't know about WalMart, but knowing Target and how often they half ass everything they do, there wouldn't be enough scanners for everyone, most would be broken, and we wouldn't have a stable enough network to support this.

Walmart is rolling out a new technology in its stores that enables shoppers to scan and pay for their items without checkout lanes, registers, or cashiers.
Uhh that's not new technology. I remember using it at Albertsons 10 years ago.

I didn't want to use MY email...

I didn't want to use THAT credit card

I bought TWO yesterday so Im picking up the second one today.

My friend bought this and Im picking it up for them.

I don't think the checkout is going anywhere anytime soon. But they already do this at Sam's Club and I love it. You scan as you go and then when you leave you show your phone which has a barcode. They scan it and it has the info on the items you scanned and paid for in the app. They check it and then you are on your way. Again I think the article title is just click bait honestly. The scan and go technology is used to compliment the check out process. Not replace it. YET! :)

I don't think the checkout is going anywhere anytime soon. But they already do this at Sam's Club and I love it. You scan as you go and then when you leave you show your phone which has a barcode. They scan it and it has the info on the items you scanned and paid for in the app. They check it and then you are on your way. Again I think the article title is just click bait honestly. The scan and go technology is used to compliment the check out process. Not replace it. YET! :)

Costco and Sams Club do fairly thorough receipt checks right now.

Don’t know if this is a testament of how good or bad scan and go is, but Walmart has had Scan and Go for a long time now. It’s mainly been limited to Arkansas and the Scan and Go with the store provided scanners has been out for 2 or 3 years now. It’s all part of what Walmart is calling “Walmart of the future” it’s set to expand out of its home state, so I guess we’ll see.

It fails because people are idiots and cant figure out how to use the scanners

They will figure out a way to solve that problem.

Stop and shop has had a similar thing for about a decade I think. Difference is you take the scanny jigger to a register (you can use self checkout), scan the barcode and pay there... So you still have to get in line. They do random audits and check people's items against what they scanned. I tried googling whether they've ever said anything official about theft but all I found was some person's story about getting caught. I assume since it still exists maybe it didn't make theft any worse? But also only 15% of their shoppers even use the thing. I wonder what Walmart did differently this time vs the first time they tried

no but I want to see the bottom one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back