Archived Walking college graduation vs working during holiday weekend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My family went to my oldest brother's graduation and felt the whole thing was kind of pointless. Sit around for hours hearing speeches from "fellow" students who you don't actually know (big state school) then get 3 seconds of recognition then more sitting. As a result, both my middle brother and I didn't walk at our graduation. We have the degree and the experience, we didn't need the pomp and circumstance. During graduation weekend, we just had the family come into town and hung out with them.

With that said, it IS December and that IS cold and flu season!

AFANTS (all families are not the same).
My family came to both of my graduation ceremonies.

My family is coming to my graduation. Since it is a December graduation, less people will walk and talk I assume. Hopefully it won't be pointless. My plan is to walk of course, let my family relax (dad had health issues) then go out to eat and later go out with friends.

If you graduate college, you earned the right to celebrate for the whole day on your graduation.

One co worker told me they (my department) will cover my shifts and or swap shifts around so I could graduate on my graduation day

My family is coming to my graduation. Since it is a December graduation, less people will walk and talk I assume. Hopefully it won't be pointless. My plan is to walk of course, let my family relax (dad had health issues) then go out to eat and later go out with friends.

If you graduate college, you earned the right to celebrate for the whole day on your graduation.

One co worker told me they (my department) will cover my shifts and or swap shifts around so I could graduate on my graduation day
Take the offer. Graduation day happens only once.

Last edited:
The way my schooling works out I too will be graduating sometime in December (in a few years) If Target denied my time off request when it came time for me to walk across that stage I would just quit. I have a degree now I don't need to push clearance or listen to guests bitch about nonsense, but it was nice that someone offered to pick up your shifts.

The way my schooling works out I too will be graduating sometime in December (in a few years) If Target denied my time off request when it came time for me to walk across that stage I would just quit. I have a degree now I don't need to push clearance or listen to guests bitch about nonsense, but it was nice that someone offered to pick up your shifts.
A degree doesn't just give you a paycheck, you have to actually find a job. Talk to all your coworkers who already have degrees...

A degree doesn't just give you a paycheck, you have to actually find a job. Talk to all your coworkers who already have degrees...
True but that's just the kind of person I am. I'm not serious 90% of the time but I still wouldn't stick around. Once I graduate I'm out! I'm saving my money now for when the job search and no job day comes.

You worked hard to get your degree...you should walk ( if you want to). You don't need to get feed back from an etl, hr, team lead etc. You just need to do whatd right for you. You worked hard enjoy the day!

QFT.
Ask them if THEY skipped THEIR walk.

That is exactly what I will ask them. They will say "well, I never worked at Target while I was working as an undergraduate" or "Target's rule says no can have time off during the holiday season. Those are the rules. NO exceptions!" I have a feeling they will say "after your graduation, you are going to close from 230-1030. But we may also need you to open since you are a PA. We 'need' you to work." Yeah....................................NO.

So I talked to my ETL HR yesterday. Without giving away too much information just in case I get identified, I think it when well. From my impression, HR was confused why I couldnt get this one day. HR understood it was only one day and not the weekend. HR understood the reason why my ETL denied from a target policy perspective. So HR will talk to my ETL to hopefully work it out.

Update. I talked to HR again today. They said they havent talked to my ETL yet (he is on vacation) but said it should not be a problem that I get my graduation day off. She told me to resubmit my time off request. She said I dont have anything to worry about

You will only be graduating once.... there will be other jobs.... if they give you shit just leave!

Update. I talked to HR again today. They said they havent talked to my ETL yet (he is on vacation) but said it should not be a problem that I get my graduation day off. She told me to resubmit my time off request. She said I dont have anything to worry about
Hmm, just last week I spoke to my ETL about a similar issue, and he said he had to speak to the STL. Problem is that the STL was on vacation.

I wish I can have as many days off as my leaders...

Hmm, just last week I spoke to my ETL about a similar issue, and he said he had to speak to the STL. Problem is that the STL was on vacation.

I wish I can have as many days off as my leaders...

Was your time off denied? If yes, what was their reasoning?

I'm still waiting. They said certain holiday days are blacked out from taking time off, but they'll see what they can do.

Well if it for graduation type event and it is one day, then there shouldnt be a reason why they cant give you one day

I'm glad HR has your back. Interestingly enough, my store's HR was doing the holiday availability sheets. I gave my availability, including on my bday (12/23) and when I told my HRTM that that was my bday, he immediately whited it out and put an X on that day as unavailable. I love my HR folks!

Well if it for graduation type event and it is one day, then there shouldnt be a reason why they cant give you one day
It's not graduation, it's just something very important that's family related. Still, I'll be surprised if they deny it.

It's not graduation, it's just something very important that's family related. Still, I'll be surprised if they deny it.

Even if it is not for a graduation, it is still family related. One day with one person wont kill Target.

If they deny it even after you appeal, just call out. That is what I am going to do (if my time off gets denied again)

I mean isn't it better you know someone will come to work cause you scheduled someone who wants to be there rather than a person who will %99 will call out and leave you scrambling? They are cutting their nose despite their face.

Go walk, you may never do this again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back