Archived Walmart testing set hours scheduling in select stores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine have been fixed for a while now... 27.5. :(

I feel like it could be problematic to set a schedule so far in advance with ever-changing business needs. Hm... Not sure, though.

I think having set hours is good. You can retain people if they know they are GOING to have $x in their paycheck every week. Not omg I need to pick up hours.... There isn't any that I am trained in and now I need to find something else...
Here is another opinion. I think that they need to separate process teams from sales floor hours. For example rearrange when some transitions are set like when some weeks have 600 hrs and others have 40 and make them flow to an even number all year long. And that would level out pricing and I think instocks too.
The truck & backroom hours shouldn't mess with sales floor hours either.
It's not that I don't think that the process teams shouldn't be part of the team and answer calls, but they shouldn't be the sole 4x4 zoners, gobackers, and go-upers. And then 1 hardlines and 1 softlines person with 1 cashier: for the rest of the day. It's just poor business.

The thing Walmart, et al discovered is that - even tho you don't give your people enough hours - a set schedule will allow them to pick up a second job or plan outside activities (y'know, that pesky work/life balance).
It's a small thing that can make a big difference.
Whether spot picks up on it remains to be seen.

I tried to do this with my small team a while ago. The problem is the team still wanted the flexibility of asking for time off. I couldn't figure out how to do both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back