"Warehouse leaders"

Interviewing for Lead Warehouse Worker wondering if anyone has an idea of what type of interview it will be and questions they ask since it's not a Merit role?

Will be the usual star method.

Tell me about a time you improved an existing process.
A time you improved safety
Etc....

Interviews are a formality. They know if they want you or not before you ever sit down.
So think about your reputation.

Interviewing for Lead Warehouse Worker wondering if anyone has an idea of what type of interview it will be and questions they ask since it's not a Merit role?

I did some of the interviews for these and I can tell you that some people who were highly regarded were awful in the interview. Their answers gave away way too much about the kind of worker they are.

Interview is simple. Some OM's and SOM's ask for an elevator pitch. It's simple, who are you, what you do at target, briefly talk about your personal life outside of target (families, hobbies, etc), and why you want to be an LWW. The interviews I did myself and the SOMs asked for elevator pitches. But I know the some of the others didn't. Doesn't hurt to plan it anyway.

For the actual interview I write notes on three categories. Situation, Behavior, Outcome.

What was the situation? A couple of brief sentences explaining the situation. It was fall season I was GPM POC and we were short staffed on the GPM team due to call-ons. Inbound had just received several high carton reserve trailers and depal was running light on freight which was jeopardizing their plan and overall throughput.

What were your behaviors? Specifically what did YOU do to address the situation. Avoid using we. Be confident but don't brag. It is okay to fluff and embellish a little bit here. No one is going to double check but DO NOT straight up lie. You'll get caught pretty quickly. I recognized very quickly that we were running into a situation that meant the docks would soon be full and that we would soon by shutting down both departments. I remembered that two of the rack putters were GPM trained and that we did not have a lot of puts on the ground for them to work through because the team couldn't pull them off the dock fast enough so I spoke to my OM and let him know the situation and my thought that the rack putters could be temporarily switched to GPM. They agreed and I had them focus on clearing backhaul out for depal while the remaining GPMers focused on pulling freight off the docks and staging it up in the aisles, so that when the putters were done they could quickly return to work and limit their downtime.

Finally what was the outcome? Did your idea, plan, thought whatever work? And did you learn from it? Everyone seems to think that they're story should be some great victory, but I've had to do interviews where the question is "tell me about a time you failed". Some times stories were you dropped the ball are just as powerful so long as you have a strong outcome.
By being flexible with our resources the team was able to clear out both inbound and keep depal moving. From this I learned how important it is to speak out when I see issues, but also how important it is to make sure that I'm taking partnerships with the right people and why I personally always need to be adaptable to changing circumstances on the floor.

Now I pulled that story out of my thin air, but I'm sure 90% of people going for the interview have some story that's similar. And with a little tweaking in the first line that story can be made to answer just about any interview question. If I change the first line from It was fall season I was GPM POC and we were short staffed on the GPM team due to call-ons. Inbound had just received several high carton reserve trailers and depal was running light on freight which was jeopardizing their plan and overall throughput.

To

It was fall season I was GPM POC we were short staffed and the gpm team was struggling because of how much harder we needed to work. Inbound had just received several high carton reserve trailers and depal was running light on freight which was jeopardizing their plan and overall throughput. This was creating an unsafe situation.

Suddenly my story is about safety. Or

It was fall season I was GPM POC and we were short staffed on the GPM team due to call-ons. Inbound had just received several high carton reserve trailers and depal was running light on freight which was jeopardizing their plan and overall throughput and I recognized that my leader had accidentally understaffed us because he missed a couple no call no shows at the board.

Now it's about giving feedback.

TL;DR version. Come up with 4-5 stories about cool stuff you did and make them flexible so that you can answer any question with one of your stories.

Seems like the plan for the lead at my DC is to just run a team of consolidators for the upcoming very vague future changes that are planned.

Does your building have auto-rebin yet? That takes up a lot of space.
Nope. They recently canceled an a2 shift to do power upgrades and we have quite a few pallet loads of new computer equipment just sitting waiting for Duane Mattin the techs name plastered all over them is to install. They only recently replaced the old auto depal machine that sat unused for years due to a death. The new depal system they installed doesn't even get used because now were having constant problems with the conveyors. I heard about auto rebin from our SharePoint months ago but it wasn't until last week that I sat with the OM's and SOM and was given a very brief very vague rundown of what's in store for us. They let the majority of the seasonal go and they started rehiring in Feb and were scheduled to stop in April. We don't have enough equipment or enough space to park the equipment so they're getting parked along the main travel aisles so during a shift change we have 2 shifts congregating in the travel aisles because the next shift is trying to get on their favorite machine . All these changes recently has gotten everyone flustered and the worst is probably yet to come. Not only have the slowed down the process of getting labels and turning them in they are now once again increasing expectations. Our shifts average CPH is probably around 100 yet expectation is 185. 58% of our new hires don't stay past 90 days and the ones that do think it's ok to constantly do nothing and either quit because they are going to get fired or slack off even more. Same kid would go to the new hire orientation room and sleep after second break everyday. They let him do it for a couple months. It was the no call no shows that got him fired. The good people see this and then slowly go bad. Rant mode..

Last edited:
I agree, however, a person can very much lose the job in an interview even if they’re a favorite to get it.
Agreed. If you do decent and are liked in the building, it shouldn’t be too hard to get the position. The interviewers know it is a tuff situation to be in.
My dc had 50 some interviews for 30 some positions. Seems like they weeded out those they knew they didn’t want before the interview.

I wonder who has the final say when deciding who gets it and who goes where? We had so many applicants they didn't even grant everyone an interview

The ones chosen to be lead at my DC were moved to icqa a month ago.

That can't be icqa is its own department.
Team leads are for a department. Your still a outboundrer, warehouser etc...
You have to do 6 months in a department

They must of brrn icqa backups.

The icqa people at my dc are some of the most miserably toxic entitled people around and are hated by everyone. And rightfully so, they go after people they don't like to get them CA's and protect others who they like.

They all hate each other and can't even get new teammates to apply for the people who left it do to the toxic environment. I can't see them being leaders as they are universally despised.

Last edited:
That can't be icqa is its own department.
Team leads are for a department. Your still a outboundrer, warehouser etc...
You have to do 6 months in a department

They must of gotten icqa backups.

The icqa people at my dc are some of the most miserably toxic entitled people around and are hated by everyone. They all hate each other and can't even get new teammates to apply for the people who left it do to the toxic environment.

I thought the same thing about having to be in a dept for 6 months since they plastered the qualifications all over the break rooms. They are telling us some BS that it's considered moving up and more of a managerial role so it doesn't matter. I had asked about being an ICQA backup a few months ago and was stone walled. We have one guy who wanted to become a trainer but they said no due to a CA now the trainer quit and this other guy is told his CA isn't a problem their was just some miscommunication in the past. They just make shit up as they go. Rules and qualifications are just to keep the ones they don't like from advancing.

The ICQA at my DC are also all miserable people and positions nobody wants to stay in. They are currently mainly the older females 40-50ish of age that worked in breakpack doing amnesty\rework who would like to complain and tell everyone not to put anything in the amnesty bin since they worked them and to just put that location on hold for ICQA. Now they're complaining to much shit is getting put on hold instead of being put in amnesty because they're now ICQA but I've also hear ICQA might also go back to working the amnesty bins and ISI's while having a role in label control.

We have a guy who's been in the building a month who is now a trainer because he managed a fast food place the departments om frequented.
The blind leading the blind.

We have our 2 resident ass lickers being groomed for the lead position even though they suck at life and people who would be better suited but don't suck om ass being told they shouldn't bother.

But hey how much worse can things get.
Been on double ot a full year and every new hire lasts up to the point where they have to work and then half walk out and the rest dance in the bathroom playing on their phone thing until they get fired

Sounds like we work at the same DC or all of targets DC's have the same problems. I've been saying for months it's the blind leading the blind. I was a trainer within 6 months training people on functions I've never done. Certifying people on equipment I've only barely just driven let alone done any work on.

Any dc announce who received the new positions? Just wondering if my dc is the only one slacking.
Positions take forever to get filled now, so many people are out on LOA and if any of them put in for the job they can't close the position before they come back off loa for the interview. They are about to announce the new lead jobs at my dc now, currently doing the turndowns.

Positions take forever to get filled now, so many people are out on LOA and if any of them put in for the job they can't close the position before they come back off loa for the interview. They are about to announce the new lead jobs at my dc now, currently doing the turndowns.
Weird, usually they start with those who got it just in case some of them had a change of heart. That way they still have a pool of people they can choose from to fill that spot. If they start with the “no’s” then they’d have to start the process over from the start.
I guess there are people who don’t belong in the pool anyway though.
Nothing at my DC afaik.

I thought people on loa were excluded? We have a lady that just went out due to surgery and she didn’t get an interview even though she is well deserved of the position. I also know a guy that was passed over for a position because he was on paternaty leave. The om that did the interview said he was a lock for it otherwise.

Weird, usually they start with those who got it just in case some of them had a change of heart. That way they still have a pool of people they can choose from to fill that spot. If they start with the “no’s” then they’d have to start the process over from the start.
I guess there are people who don’t belong in the pool anyway though.
Nothing at my DC afaik.
I know certain jobs like merit and leads they give the offer to the person getting the job first. When I was offered icqa they asked me to keep it quiet until they had completed the turn downs. That way those team members could hear about it from the om's and not over a lunch conversation.

Last edited:
I thought people on loa were excluded? We have a lady that just went out due to surgery and she didn’t get an interview even though she is well deserved of the position. I also know a guy that was passed over for a position because he was on paternaty leave. The om that did the interview said he was a lock for it otherwise.
Unless there has been a change or it's a dc by dc decision, I know that's been a big complaint from the oms at my dc, waiting on all of the loa's to be interviewed. Perhaps it's been recently modified? I'm really not sure.

Our building did phone interviews on the LOAs.

The people who got the position should know or will in another week or two. Then after everyone who's offered a position accepts or declines they start going down the list of next place lists.

So if a B1 team member is offered an A2 lead and turns it down they have to go to the next in line. And this could take time as people accept or turn down offers

Once every spot is filled then they'll announce it.

Anybody on here an inbound lead? I got Inbound lead and waiting for them to fill all positions. Wondering what a normal day as Inbound LWW is?

I'm not a lead but they way they are structured at my dc is one at art, one on the manual dock and one on puts. Not sure what else they are responsible for past ensuring their respective area of responsibility is running smoothly and helping team members with the technical info that some om's lack.

I'm not a lead but they way they are structured at my dc is one at art, one on the manual dock and one on puts. Not sure what else they are responsible for past ensuring their respective area of responsibility is running smoothly and helping team members with the technical info that some om's lack.
I think a lot of their job will include doing standard work audits, going over gemba, and getting on tm’s about break times/scan gaps.

Back