Warehouse Operations

Hi guys! I'm new to Target and just had orientation today. My department is within warehouse and I'm just trying to get a general idea of all that I'll be doing. I was informed I would be using equipment but I'm highly afraid of heights and was not sure if HR would be willing to work with me to transfer me to another department possibly? Thanks for any advice or info!

Hi guys! I'm new to Target and just had orientation today. My department is within warehouse and I'm just trying to get a general idea of all that I'll be doing. I was informed I would be using equipment but I'm highly afraid of heights and was not sure if HR would be willing to work with me to transfer me to another department possibly? Thanks for any advice or info!
If they are going to have you doing carton air its not a bad gig and I'd give it the ole college try before asking for a transfer. There are far worse positions to be in, but if you can't do it then it is what it is.

Last edited:
We get asked multiple times at orientation that if we're scared of heights to speak up. I've never seen anyone who complained after the fact get transferred to another department just eventually let go.

We've been having people start out on the rc's and reach trucks.

I’m usually not ok with heights, but an order picker isn’t as bad as it looks. You have racks on both sides of you so it doesn’t feel like you’re very high up most of the time.
Definitely talk to someone ASAP if you don’t think it’s something you can overcome though. Quite a few people in my building have been shifted to different departments if heights freaked them out.

If your starting in the warehousing department you will be on an order picker up in the air 6 months to a year minimum. Depending on how high your numbers are.

When you are up in the air in a rack aisle it doesn't feel like you are up high.
If the trainer is a moron and has you go all the way up out in the open than yes you will not like it.

If the trainer wants you to go up out of an aisle just tell him your afraid and rather do it in an aisle and see how it goes. Tell them you have been told to do ot this way. Again unless they are total morons they will know exactly what you mean.
Just remember your trainer is just another teammate. Some have big heads others are cool but lately the who would never be given trainer are becoming trainers as the seasoned teamates know better.

Back