Archived Was I in the wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday, the store (as its leaning in that direction today) was swamped. As a cart attendant it was a very hard day. Not only was it hot but I had to help with team lifts, still do trash, take some pallets back, Restroom checks, and take hangers back. They kept calling me with things to do as it was getting closer for me to clock out. I finished my last task then walked towards TSC, to clock out. Just then I get a call to help with a team lift. I knew where she was, so I walked over to her, and said "Sorry, I can't help you. I'm off." She says, "I don't care" in a mean tone, and I respond "I don't care either." She then proceeds to find someone else, and I keep walking towards TSC. By that time I was solo tired. Was I in the wrong, though?

I wouldn't have walked to them and told them "sorry cant help I'm off". The powers that be know your schedule and know your off more then likely. I would just announce over the walkie "hey team this is the cart attendant Im gone for the day". Then immediately turn off the walkie, turn in your equipment, clock out and leave. Now this is bearing in mind that its time for you to leave.

I wouldn't have walked to them and told them "sorry cant help I'm off". The powers that be know your schedule and know your off more then likely. I would just announce over the walkie "hey team this is the cart attendant Im gone for the day". Then immediately turn off the walkie, turn in your equipment, clock out and leave. Now this is bearing in mind that its time for you to leave.

Well, I, don't usually call out. None of the 3 cart attendants do that. I've heard others do it, and thought maybe I should start too. I'm think I should.

I would help the guest & tell gstl to fix my time. On a team lift call, there another tm present. Where was that tm who called team lift?

I would help the guest & tell gstl to fix my time. On a team lift call, there another tm present. Where was that tm who called team lift?

When she called she was by guest services. Also in reference to Backroomdude she called me right at 4 so I had no chance to say that I was leaving.

You had answered the call, help the guest & hl to help you...
i didn't actually answer her on the walkie. When she called she said cart attendant, you're needed to help with a teamlift. She should've said "Can someone help me with a teamlift?" I know for a fact that there were others that could help. But, still I guess if she does something like that again I'll help.

By going to her in person to tell her you were off was a mistake. You were right there, still on the clock.
By saying "I don't care either" could be seen as insubordination.
As others said, you should announce your departure at shift's end so, if someone calls for the CA, others can inform them that you had already signed off.

By going to her in person to tell her you were off was a mistake. You were right there, still on the clock.
By saying "I don't care either" could be seen as insubordination.
As others said, you should announce your departure at shift's end so, if someone calls for the CA, others can inform them that you had already signed off.

As stated before she called right at 4. I didn't even have a chance to say I was leaving. I was so busy with stuff to do that I got off right at 4.

I just wanted to say that I apologized to her yesterday. She wasn't upset and understood that I was clocking out. Still next time I will help her, or anybody else out that calls me right when it's time for me to clock out.

If you've clocked out, don't help. If you haven't clocked out, help if you want to or call on the walkie to see if someone else can help since you are clocking out.

I see at as 50/50. And it really depends on your store and scheduling. If your store is pretty strict about not working over your scheduled shifts. Go ahead and clock out. If you have a full set of hours, then clock out. If you are able to help, then help.

1. If you were already clocked out, you should have just told your fellow TM you already clocked out on your way out. But you should have been a little more tactful. If they give you attitude about being off the clock, don't answer back with spite. Just say your sorry but you are off the clock.

2. The TM should have a bit tactful as well. They should have not answered hatefully. And they should walkied over with the more appropriate "Any TM available for a TeamLift..." Stores need to get off the mentality that cart attendants can come at the beck and call for anything and everything. If CAs respond that they are busy or off the clock/on break, they need to find someone else.

I think you're okay. You were polite at first and she was rude in return. You teach em some respect :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back