Archived Was lectured by an old school guest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was helping a guest for about 10 mins. Way longer than necessary but we all know how needy people can be.. Anyways they say, "Thank you," and I respond, "Not a problem." The guest then proceeds to follow me around in a calm manner saying, "Whatever happened you millennials saying, 'You're Welcome.'" I am enjoying this, almost smiling because of how ridiculous this is... I say not a problem because it's my job to provide service in which I don't need a thank you for finding something you walked passed 8 times. I get they are appreciative which is great but for me personally I don't need a thank you.

I was raised with yes ma'am, yes sir, thank you, you're welcome, please, etc... but i also say "anytime" and "not a problem."

Thoughts?!?!!?!

I fucking hate those people.

ecard-rights-respect-offended-3.jpg

Last edited:
"Not a problem" insinuates that there is a chance for what the guest did to be a problem when asking for assistance should never be a problem. So the guest might think, "this time wasn't a problem but maybe next time it will be a problem so should I ask for assistance and deal with the repercussions of it being a problem?" Also, "not" and "problem" are negative words. Chick-fa-la uses "My pleasure" to avoid the use of negative words between their employees and guests.

I know, stupid! I used to use "Not a problem" with everyone but conditioned myself to just say "you're welcome" or "my pleasure" for non-family and friends.

Now the actual "problem" with this situation is the guest trying to lecture you. If you get butt-hurt by what words a person choses to use then you have an issue. Our generation may use different terms but that doesn't mean we're trying to be rude. We universally accept certain salutations to be just as creditable as "You're welcome".

The minute I hear "What ever happened to..." my brain tends to shut off.
I'm old enough to remember a whole lot of things being different but I don't think things like grammar and clothing styles are what people should be worried about.
It's like a meme I saw the other day on Facebook with a bunch of smiling kids in the back of a pickup truck that said 'Share The Picture If You Did This And Lived"
Well the kids who died couldn't very well share it, could they?

You were polite, he wasn't.

"Not a problem" insinuates that there is a chance for what the guest did to be a problem when asking for assistance should never be a problem. So the guest might think, "this time wasn't a problem but maybe next time it will be a problem so should I ask for assistance and deal with the repercussions of it being a problem?" Also, "not" and "problem" are negative words. Chick-fa-la uses "My pleasure" to avoid the use of negative words between their employees and guests.

I know, stupid! I used to use "Not a problem" with everyone but conditioned myself to just say "you're welcome" or "my pleasure" for non-family and friends.

Now the actual "problem" with this situation is the guest trying to lecture you. If you get butt-hurt by what words a person choses to use then you have an issue. Our generation may use different terms but that doesn't mean we're trying to be rude. We universally accept certain salutations to be just as creditable as "You're welcome".

well... if by you, you mean me?? i dont get butt hurt lol. i dont give a damn, but if you mean you as in the guest in general then yes.

i have used "my pleasure" but maybe like once every million guests lol. i'll just keep sipping my fruit punch kool-aid a little bit and succumb to youre welcome to please the needy

Your mistake was in helping the person in the first place. At the end of the week, the only thing my boss cares about is if the twt report is clear. She never asks ... How many guests did you help? If I spend 0 minutes helping guests or 4 hours, I get no reprieve from my timelines. So, it's NO PROBLEM ignoring them.

I said that to a guest the other day and as I turned around and started walking away she says to her friend "why would he say such a stupid thing? Should there have been a problem? Of course not!"

It took a lot of willpower to keep walking with my mouth shut.

You've got to change it up.. Saying your welcome a million times a day can turn one into a robot.
I'll say, you're welcome, no problem, anytime, or sometimes just grumble as I tell them how needy the self checkout machines are and that they didn't do anything wrong, it's the machine,when I really want to shout I HATE THESE effing MACHINES.

I don't know if it's a regional thing, but I use 'yep' a lot. I try to follow it with 'have a nice day' to be a bit more professional, but I don't see why the intent isn't what matters here.

Was helping a guest for about 10 mins. Way longer than necessary but we all know how needy people can be.. Anyways they say, "Thank you," and I respond, "Not a problem." The guest then proceeds to follow me around in a calm manner saying, "Whatever happened you millennials saying, 'You're Welcome.'" I am enjoying this, almost smiling because of how ridiculous this is... I say not a problem because it's my job to provide service in which I don't need a thank you for finding something you walked passed 8 times. I get they are appreciative which is great but for me personally I don't need a thank you.

I was raised with yes ma'am, yes sir, thank you, you're welcome, please, etc... but i also say "anytime" and "not a problem."

Thoughts?!?!!?!

I think it is just a generational wording thing. I have noticed younger people tend to go with "not a problem" I personally go with "You're Welcome", "Happy to help" or the very neutral "Have a nice day".

@RCKing, I've seen you have met my dad. He has said the same thing. Well, he wouldn't complain about it to the person who said it, he would just complain to my mom and me!

I always say "any time" or occasionally "not a problem"
I said "no welcome" the other night. I was thinking about both I guess. I do find "you're welcome" to be a little rude though.

Whenever I said "You're welcome," it was always dripping in sarcasm. usually after being cussed out by a guest because we couldn't return her xbox without a receipt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back