Archived Was told I violated dress code, am quite sure I didn't

Status
Not open for further replies.
My store allows maroon so when that gets addressed, I'll worry about Jean's with toothpaste over them

Our store doesnt seem to have a dress code anymore. Red pants, khaki shirt/sweaters. Tee shirts with team logos, grey jackets with no red showing at all, even orange tees that are nasty dirty. It's been brought up to our exec team but none of them gaf. I wish they would care a little more!

I can be wearing a tucked in true red polo with a target logo on the chest and back and khakis talking on a walkie while scanning something with a PDA and I’ll still be asked ‘do you work here?’ so...

Somewhere around Christmas two years ago I was helping a guest who was wearing a red Christmas sweater. I had a darker red shirt, walkie, a my device, a nametag and I was answering the guest's question with the confidence of a veteran. And yet despite all that, another guest walked up to us and asked my guest for assistance, totally ignoring me.

I wore a LuLaRoe Randy tonight with a red cardigan over it and no one said anything. My LOD had black pants on.

Guess all you gotta do is look for the nametag!! 😂

Maybe it’s generational - I iron EVERY morning (outfit of the day) and sometimes at night (stuff out of the dryer to go in closet).

I don't even own a fucking iron.

I don't even own a fucking iron.

Steam from the shower. Seriously.

That's what my dad used to do when he was short on time and wanted to wear a certain shirt. (Now that he's retired he can spend the time ironing!)

It also says no T-shirts, which is obviously not true anymore since they now give us t shirts to wear at events and redcard stuff and have for a while. How old is that lol

Got the info some time in the past few years. I am just posting it to clarify that solid colored tops are really a part of the dress code policy and also not a recent dress code change. HQ has wanted it that way for a long time but many stores did not enforce it...until now (at least for OP's store).

For the most up-to-date HQ-mandated dress code info on what is allowed or not allowed, you can ask a current HR person. They can probably check and give you clarification on whether t-shirts are officially ok or if Target logo/promotional t-shirts are just the exception. I am retired now. Otherwise, I would totally look into this for you.

Last edited:
I wear nice patterned blouses (some red, most aren’t) like floral or polka-dotted with jeans but with my vest over and as long as I have my vest no one cares

I'm surprised to see that so many are saying there's a dress code crackdown going on because it's definitely not happening at my store. We're still in the "practically anything is ok" mode.
And to each their own. I like to wear my non-dress code-compliant for stuff outside of work. Work clothes are for work; doing the truck means I get cardboard bits all over my shirt and dirt off the boxes on the thighs of my pants.

As far as I understand now being into the first couple weeks of my second term of Target employment since January 2007, Target Dress Code is now:
Solid red top
Solid black or white longsleeve underlayer
Beige khaki or blue denim bottoms
No jewelry in Food Service and Starbucks areas only (Steritech)

You can be outfitted as part of a united team appearance and still have fun enjoying your personal style and self-expression by accessorizing with jewelry (except food service and Starbucks areas), socks, makeup, and hairstyle preferences. If Target's employee/staffing appearance requirements really make you feel that "limited," perhaps you could consider seeking employment with a company or business where you can dress however you like within reason and job safety outlines?

I see plaid and striped tops all the time. There seems to be nothing other than a list from so many years ago it forbade t-shirts that says plain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back