Archived Watching Self Checkout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously when you are watching self checkout you need to watch for red lights, greet guests, and direct them to available machines, but what else should you do to be a great "self checkout ambassador"?

Any tips watching for theft and how to handle it if a situation arises?

What about talking to guests? Leadership always encourages us to interact with guests on self checkout but a lot of them just give us weird looks.

Any tips/advice would be appreciated!

You are limited in talking with each Guest as you have to keep your eyes and attention on a lot. So be brief but friendly. They're in SCO to get out fast.

On theft you just ask politely if they missed "x" or don't want it. For obvious things you're not AP. Don't confront.

Just be friendly and VERY alert.

1. Be mindful of what products they have and respond accordingly. Grab some of those adhesive straps for larger bundles of paper goods, jumbo bags for bedding or large toys, etc. If someone is buying infant hardlines items and doesn't have a baby with them, or if they have gift wrap/bags, ask if they'd like gift receipts and show them how to activate that on the screen. Stickers for little people. Very similar to regular checklane, but requires a little more active watching since you don't have every item in hand at some point.

2. ASANTS. My store absolutely does not want anyone but TPS confronting guests. We suggest that they use the hand scanner for items that may be on the bottom deck of the cart (those are the most common SCO push-outs at my store), eyeball for items in the baby seat area, under an infant carrier, etc. "Did you change your mind on (item still in cart and not scanned)?" is generally how I draw attention to those. Definitely harder when coats and purses are in the cart, but there is only so much you can do.

3. Again, probably ASANTS. I greet everyone, ask if they found what they were looking for, ask about Red Card. If there's something unique I can use for small talk, I'll at least try. I frequently make comments to their kids about their cute clothes, most kids light up at that one. I'll play peek-a-boo with babies/toddlers. I have a semi-regular with a very cool purse styled like our pro team's hockey sweater, and I've commented a few times on that. Geeky shirts also frequently get acknowledged. You'll develop your own schtick over time.

My best success with the thieves, beyond what's been mentioned, is to quickly move near when I catch them. They know I know, then. Yesterday a guy pulled out a pack of cokes he didn't scan and made a show of looking and finally scanned them.

I found I got better at spotting who would need assistance when they come up. Vegetables, alcohol, lots of clearance tickets...so I rarely wait for the red light.

Keep em moving. I cashier a lot, too. We have to. Not enough registers open.

One thing to note for is watch out for ticket switching - if somebody has a good amount of expensive merchandise, just keep an eye that appropriate prices are coming up for them, and they're actually scanning the item and not something on their hand, or something else. Call AP if you notice something suspicious, and even if they leave they can still check cameras and decide on action then.

Sco always got people who would purposely go through there for guest challenge. They know that we want to keep the line moving and give it to them for whatever price.

Dumb question maybe (probably), but what's the best way to "call AP" from SCO? Just motion to one of the GSA/GSTLs and have them actually call AP?

I see some of the others have mentioned how their stores don’t want anyone but AP getting involved with unscanned merchandise. Of course, ASANTS, but that’s one of the primary roles I demanded of my SCO TM’s. I can’t baby sit the SCO all day, so the SCO TM needs to be trustworthy and attentive enough to catch things being skip-scanned and other similar issues, and react as needed. Simple guest service works great. I encouraged my TM’s to get involved when they knew an item was missed. “Excuse me sir, but it looks like the register scanner didn’t pick up __. Can you please try to scan it again?”

Again, ASANTS. Speak to your store AP and other leaders for further advice.

I've said it in other threads but at SCO 100% best way to catch BOB (bottom of basket/cart) is to walk up and say "hey for that large item on bottom of cart you can just use the hand scanner so you don't have to lift it!

legit guests are grateful for the tip, scammers know I'm on to them

Just grab one when you clock in or talk with GSTL about getting one

I mean, I don't think that's a thing they do at my store. At all. I have never seen anyone monitoring SCO with a walkie (and there are 5-8 different TMs switching off on SCO duty every time I'm there). So it might be kind of awkward. I've never been taught to use one either.

I mean, I don't think that's a thing they do at my store. At all. I have never seen anyone monitoring SCO with a walkie (and there are 5-8 different TMs switching off on SCO duty every time I'm there). So it might be kind of awkward. I've never been taught to use one either.
It's a walkie talkie... I wouldn't consider it difficult. It's even easier than posting here

The point is that I've never been given one, shown one, or directed to use one at all. I don't even know where they're stored. But K.

Just ask your GSTL if you should use one on your shifts at SCO. It's not your fault if you weren't trained/fully trained. Your GSTL is there to help you do your job correctly. So, just ask! You can even ask to have AP give you some SCO tips.

What I'm trying to get at is, my store does not give the SCO attendants walkies. At all. I'm not trying to argue, but I just don't know how asking about it would go over since I'm still pretty new and a seasonal (in fact, I'm almost definitely being let go very soon since they told me they let seasonals go in February). Anyway, I don't want to make things awkward between myself and the leaders. I was just wondering if there was something I was missing, and apparently it's that my store does it weirdly. For my last couple of weeks I'll just keep doing it the way they told me (basically the other things mentioned in this thread like asking if they want to use the hand scanner, etc.).

I see some of the others have mentioned how their stores don’t want anyone but AP getting involved with unscanned merchandise. Of course, ASANTS, but that’s one of the primary roles I demanded of my SCO TM’s. I can’t baby sit the SCO all day, so the SCO TM needs to be trustworthy and attentive enough to catch things being skip-scanned and other similar issues, and react as needed. Simple guest service works great. I encouraged my TM’s to get involved when they knew an item was missed. “Excuse me sir, but it looks like the register scanner didn’t pick up __. Can you please try to scan it again?”

Again, ASANTS. Speak to your store AP and other leaders for further advice.

Yes! I tell all of my SCO team members that if its something small to just let it pass and let me know so I can get them next time. If its obvious that they are taking heeps of merchandise and not scanning say "oh, I noticed that didn't scan through. Let me help you with that" while they go through every single item; or if its a lot just void the transaction off and scan it yourself. The important part is ensuring your leaders back you. I made sure that I told everyone at SCO that I would back them 100% on their decision and all of the front end leaders know that.

With this method, you don't make honest guests uncomfortable and actually catch a majority of theft at SCO. Your SCO team members also feel empowered and do an even better job since someone actually backs them (for once). One of my all time best SCO attendants was all over everyone. They were so guest oriented and used that to their advantage for both sides. They knew the balance that was needed and while they were able to help me with quite a few apprehensions, ensured that guests at SCO had an enjoyable experience.

fwiw i have a few SCO TMs who just use the nearest CL blinker to get my attention and that works too

BOB and LISA are the biggest things to watch out for at SCO. a few TMs have been talked to by AP about leaning against the wall or talking to cashiers when they're supposed to be watching SCO so don't do that lol

I don't work the front end but quick question about SCO. If we go through them and dont use a bag, can we still use the bag coupon even if we didn't bring our own bag? Let's say I'm just buying a Brita water filter or something small like that that doesn't necessarily need a bag. At actual check lanes I've noticed cashiers will add the coupon about 50% of the time. I just dont want to get in trouble for using the coupon when I'm not using a bag at all.

I don't work the front end but quick question about SCO. If we go through them and dont use a bag, can we still use the bag coupon even if we didn't bring our own bag? Let's say I'm just buying a Brita water filter or something small like that that doesn't necessarily need a bag. At actual check lanes I've noticed cashiers will add the coupon about 50% of the time. I just dont want to get in trouble for using the coupon when I'm not using a bag at all.
Being that you’re a ™, I would say no, don’t use it without a bag. Idk how strict your AP is, if they would even care, but if they did, it’s not worth 5 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back