Archived Weekly Coupons -HOW are they presented?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clearly he has not worked in a store of he would know the ad is hanging up as the guest walks into the store. Most of us here who work in the stores know guests do not read or comprehend well. They see what they want to see.[/QUO

I AGREE completely. We have, I am seeing, taught our Guests that our TMs will always "make it right". That's robbed us of our stature as "the more elite choice" retail stores and is surely slowly dispersing the energy and excitement of our new and energetic TMs with their (the "Guests") never ending demands.

We have a copy of all the coupons on a paper at all the registers every week. We just scan the one they mention. 9 times out of 10 they don’t have it and just reference I deal they are expecting to get.

That's not legal.

READ the coupons ...NO photo copies!
We have a copy of all the coupons on a paper at all the registers every week. We just scan the one they mention. 9 times out of 10 they don’t have it and just reference I deal they are expecting to get.

Oh no!!! Instead I’ll just make them walk over to guest service and hand me the exact same coupon that we will then throw away!!!!!
That's not the point. Having them review the circular leads them to additional offers which increases revenue.

Oh no. Won't someone call the Target coupon police???!?!!?!?!?
No Coupon Police. We'd like Guests to review the circular. When our MIS reports are done we can then track who we are reaching via circulars or Target App.

Simple stuff

No Coupon Police. We'd like Guests to review the circular. When our MIS reports are done we can then track who we are reaching via circulars or Target App.

Simple stuff
no one reads the the circular. We throw away 90% of the ad every week.

Target could send 10 copies and that would be plenty

Simple stuff

Last edited:
More beer aid.

40100542_1889629614678550_3024119578721517568_n.jpg

A lot of time is spent helping (spoon feeding) Guests discounts and I speculate they've been conditioned to our TMs doing it for them, which evades the whole purpose of offering Cartwheel, Target App., and Coupons.

You mean TMs who have been conditioned by TLs to always appease the guest. If I'm allowed to make a reasonable price adjustment to "make it right " and then TLs always cave to the guests when they don't have the coupon or CW, you can't pin this on TMs.

Set up a little kiosk in the stores that have the ad and plant a TM there to exalt the virtues of the Target app and Cartwheel. That is when people have time to figure it out. A rushed check lane convo is a ridiculous way to promote. If you really want people on it you need to get it in front of their faces.

Set up a little kiosk in the stores that have the ad and plant a TM there to exalt the virtues of the Target app and Cartwheel. That is when people have time to figure it out. A rushed check lane convo is a ridiculous way to promote. If you really want people on it you need to get it in front of their faces.
This is going in the report.

OK group, be a bit more understanding our OP is trying to help......there are lots of problems and issues here....instead of getting annoyed, try to explain some of the problems. We often "talk" about corporate people and we all believe that there are upper level people trolling around. So, if, by some chance OP is from corporate, you've just screwed up our opportunity by being rude and nasty.

Some of the issue (probably a very large part of the issue) is that, as cashiers we don't always have the time to explain things to guests......and Why is that? Well, this happens because we don't feel that we have the time to educate our guests for we have too many in our line and feel pressure to get the guests out of the store thus the time problem. If we had either more cashiers or if people would respond to back-up then there wouldn't be as many problems with educating guests. I think that now, with all the new ways of doing things in the store that people that might have done back-up before now don't come up because they'll get pressure from the LOD or their TL to get things done. Another reason that we have trouble with back up.....another problem with cashiers having the time to help the guests.

Yes, another issue is that it has been pounded into the heads of cashiers to "make things right" and Target has trained TM to do this....so now many guests know that they have more power to get things done as they want. Target itself has allowed the guests to have power over our cashiers.

Another issue....when guests ask us if we know what is on Cartwheel....most of don't know because, while they used to post, for TMs to see, what the big deals of the week were. So now TMs only know of things because they see what their guests have used it to buy....or some TMs will use their phones to get an idea of what is there and then the TM can help the guest save more. Personally, I don't have a smart phone so I would already be behind knowing what is on Cartwheel. A good way to for TMs to educate guests is for TMs to be educated.....so STLs step up and get this information out for TMs.

Still another issue.....the signage......honestly it does suck. The signs that tell guests about the cartwheel savings are in gray.....no real indication to guests that this is some kind of a special deal to get ONLY with cartwheel. In the store we have bright yellow signs to show clearance and all kinds of red signs to show what is in our weekly ad so why don't we have special colors to show cartwheel deals? Or even have a red cart on these signs. No wonder guests come up and aren't happy that the 20% is only good if you have cartwheel.....there is NOTHING to bring attention to the cartwheel app. Then.....when guests come up to check out and discover that the 20% of bedding is ONLY on cartwheel...well they get angry at us. So, do we "make it right" and give the discount? Sometimes, yes. For in my store the GSAs and GSTLs sometimes tell you to give the discount. A major change in the signage would help.

As cashiers if you are trying to show a guest how to use their coupons or how to scan their items and if you have a guest who is in a hurry then the hurried guest often makes a remark to tell the cashier.....can't you do this another time....or.......I'm trying to check-out here can you get moving?

I saw someone else mention that their wi-fi gets crazy....we have that happen quite often at my old store.......guests either can't log on or it crashes when they get to the register......when that happens (which is often) the guest becomes unhappy because they couldn't get on wi-fi or it crashes.....and they lose their savings...so why try cartwheel again.

And still another issue......a guest scans their cartwheel but the item doesn't show up...you look and see that the guest has the right item and then you have to fix the problem......or the guest checks out and then sees that an item didn't come off....and then you have to fix it. I know that recently they got the cartwheel savings to show up on the computer screen (as it was once before) so it is easier to check out if an item has come off. An issue that's been a part of Cartwheel for many months is that there is a coupon for $2.00 off Pampers and it NEVER comes off. With the new changes on the screen (before I left) when you give guests their .05 cent discount for having their own bag it would show up as zero....so I'd manually give the guest the mini savings...only to learn that the .05 comes off at the end of the transaction...so guests in my line got .10 cents of savings off each time until I learned otherwise. There was also something else that was weird, but I can't remember what the problem was.

I'm sure that there are other problems and issues, but I'm not remembering them so easily because I don't have this happen every day anymore.

OK group, be a bit more understanding our OP is trying to help......there are lots of problems and issues here....instead of getting annoyed, try to explain some of the problems. We often "talk" about corporate people and we all believe that there are upper level people trolling around. So, if, by some chance OP is from corporate, you've just screwed up our opportunity by being rude and nasty.
The reason we are a bit hostile toward this user is the way that they just presented themself a bit out of the blue with very corporate-centric messages, almost like they we're fishing for TMs to provide feedback for them in a disingenuous way. If they were a bit more upfront on what exactly their intentions were for making these post we may have been more tolerant and understanding of them.

The reason we are a bit hostile toward this user is the way that they just presented themself a bit out of the blue with very corporate-centric messages, almost like they we're fishing for TMs to provide feedback for them in a disingenuous way. If they were a bit more upfront on what exactly their intentions were for making these post we may have been more tolerant and understanding of them.

I've been thinking of @pellinore 's post and my reply. I hope I didn't ruin anything and I definitely get the point and agree to some degree. But this ⬆️ above is why I'm not feeling 100 towards this person.

We are a group of current and past employees. We are probably here because we are the type of employees most companies want - contientous. We share frustrations, exchange info, share funny stories and offer up good ideas. If corp has people dipping in from time to time, never say a word and reports back so be it. We know it's a public forum.

But. If someone from corp makes an account and starts interacting, asking for feedback and generally sounding like a corp person then I would hope they would respect us enough to introduce themselves.

There is definitely a problem with Target in the way tms are treated by etls and above. There is a noticeable lack of courtesy. For sure I have had etls that were friendly but I believe that is who they are rather than something that was directed by Target. Our stl is also pretty good. But anyone above them who has walked our store very rarely greets any tms. The very people their valued guests interact with are ignored. It makes no sense. My dad owns a company and he treats his people very well and they are so loyal because they know he has their back. It shouldn't be different at Target. I fully believe a lot of the turnover Target sees could be changed if from the top down tms were made to feel valued right from the start. I am fortunate enough to work with enough good people that they outweigh the bad stuff. All jobs have bad stuff and so what makes someone stick around? It's feeling like their contribution is valuable.

So, when a corp sounding person starts posting here I can't help but feel some animosity, especially if they don't introduce themselves. I would love to feel like our ideas and input is valued by corp but I haven't ever felt that. If @TargetScanMan is indeed from corp I hope he sticks around and gets to know us and let's us know who he is (generally speaking, no one needs names). If corp is looking for input from the only people that have to live with their decisions I'm sure many of us would like to share. I have seen so many good ideas floated here and corp would be wise to listen.

I don't think corporate is interested in feedback. There would be far less non-negotiable demands if they were. At my store, no one complains. It would be pointless because leadership is essentially powerless to make things work. Instead, we just come in to routinely find that yet another TM is no longer with us. While I could be wrong, I doubt any of the departures are due to not selling enough Red Cards or how the Ad is presented in store. Those would seem to be way down the list of concerns for most TMs.

Well, that was a fun thread to read. Let’s stoke the coals and give HQ more bad attitude. 2/5 on the helpful argument scale.

I've been thinking of @pellinore 's post and my reply. I hope I didn't ruin anything and I definitely get the point and agree to some degree. But this ⬆️ above is why I'm not feeling 100 towards this person.

We are a group of current and past employees. We are probably here because we are the type of employees most companies want - contientous. We share frustrations, exchange info, share funny stories and offer up good ideas. If corp has people dipping in from time to time, never say a word and reports back so be it. We know it's a public forum.

But. If someone from corp makes an account and starts interacting, asking for feedback and generally sounding like a corp person then I would hope they would respect us enough to introduce themselves.

There is definitely a problem with Target in the way tms are treated by etls and above. There is a noticeable lack of courtesy. For sure I have had etls that were friendly but I believe that is who they are rather than something that was directed by Target. Our stl is also pretty good. But anyone above them who has walked our store very rarely greets any tms. The very people their valued guests interact with are ignored. It makes no sense. My dad owns a company and he treats his people very well and they are so loyal because they know he has their back. It shouldn't be different at Target. I fully believe a lot of the turnover Target sees could be changed if from the top down tms were made to feel valued right from the start. I am fortunate enough to work with enough good people that they outweigh the bad stuff. All jobs have bad stuff and so what makes someone stick around? It's feeling like their contribution is valuable.

So, when a corp sounding person starts posting here I can't help but feel some animosity, especially if they don't introduce themselves. I would love to feel like our ideas and input is valued by corp but I haven't ever felt that. If @TargetScanMan is indeed from corp I hope he sticks around and gets to know us and let's us know who he is (generally speaking, no one needs names). If corp is looking for input from the only people that have to live with their decisions I'm sure many of us would like to share. I have seen so many good ideas floated here and corp would be wise to listen.
Understood.

The reason we are a bit hostile toward this user is the way y just presented themself a bit out of the blue with very corporate-centric messages, almost like they we're fishing for TMs to provide feedback for them in a disingenuous way. If they were a bit more upfront on what exactly their intentions were for making these post we may have been more tolerant and understanding of them.
I think it's appropriate to share that

Some of the issue (probably a very large part of the issue) is that, as cashiers we don't always have the time to explain things to guests......and Why is that? Well, this happens because we don't feel that we have the time to educate our guests for we have too many in our line and feel pressure to get the guests out of the store thus the time problem. If we had either more cashiers or if people would respond to back-up then there wouldn't be as many problems with educating guests. I think that now, with all the new ways of doing things in the store that people that might have done back-up before now don't come up because they'll get pressure from the LOD or their TL to get things done. Another reason that we have trouble with back up.....another problem with cashiers having the time to help the guests.

Yes, another issue is that it has been pounded into the heads of cashiers to "make things right" and Target has trained TM to do this....so now many guests know that they have more power to get things done as they want. Target itself has allowed the guests to have power over our cashiers.

Another issue....when guests ask us if we know what is on Cartwheel....most of don't know because, while they used to post, for TMs to see, what the big deals of the week were. So now TMs only know of things because they see what their guests have used it to buy....or some TMs will use their phones to get an idea of what is there and then the TM can help the guest save more. Personally, I don't have a smart phone so I would already be behind knowing what is on Cartwheel. A good way to for TMs to educate guests is for TMs to be educated.....so STLs step up and get this information out for TMs.

Still another issue.....the signage......honestly it does suck. The signs that tell guests about the cartwheel savings are in gray.....no real indication to guests that this is some kind of a special deal to get ONLY with cartwheel. In the store we have bright yellow signs to show clearance and all kinds of red signs to show what is in our weekly ad so why don't we have special colors to show cartwheel deals? Or even have a red cart on these signs. No wonder guests come up and aren't happy that the 20% is only good if you have cartwheel.....there is NOTHING to bring attention to the cartwheel app. Then.....when guests come up to check out and discover that the 20% of bedding is ONLY on cartwheel...well they get angry at us. So, do we "make it right" and give the discount? Sometimes, yes. For in my store the GSAs and GSTLs sometimes tell you to give the discount. A major change in the signage would help.

As cashiers if you are trying to show a guest how to use their coupons or how to scan their items and if you have a guest who is in a hurry then the hurried guest often makes a remark to tell the cashier.....can't you do this another time....or.......I'm trying to check-out here can you get moving?

I saw someone else mention that their wi-fi gets crazy....we have that happen quite often at my old store.......guests either can't log on or it crashes when they get to the register......when that happens (which is often) the guest becomes unhappy because they couldn't get on wi-fi or it crashes.....and they lose their savings...so why try cartwheel again.

And still another issue......a guest scans their cartwheel but the item doesn't show up...you look and see that the guest has the right item and then you have to fix the problem......or the guest checks out and then sees that an item didn't come off....and then you have to fix it. I know that recently they got the cartwheel savings to show up on the computer screen (as it was once before) so it is easier to check out if an item has come off. An issue that's been a part of Cartwheel for many months is that there is a coupon for $2.00 off Pampers and it NEVER comes off. With the new changes on the screen (before I left) when you give guests their .05 cent discount for having their own bag it would show up as zero....so I'd manually give the guest the mini savings...only to learn that the .05 comes off at the end of the transaction...so guests in my line got .10 cents of savings off each time until I learned otherwise. There was also something else that was weird, but I can't remember what the problem was.

I'm sure that there are other problems and issues, but I'm not remembering them so easily because I don't have this happen every day anymore.
It seems to me, pellinore, that you understood and embraced your job extremely well.

I've a sad feeling, based on what I'm seeing and hearing, that Target doesn't actually DESIRE individuals of what MOST companies would consider absolute gems.

I'm sorry to say that but I've become rather disillusioned in my endeavor as I look at reality.

I may have been a poor choice to take on this endeavor as I'm seeing things that keep me up at night.

I think it's appropriate to share that

It seems to me, pellinore, that you understood and embraced your job extremely well.

I've a sad feeling, based on what I'm seeing and hearing, that Target doesn't actually DESIRE individuals of what MOST companies would consider absolute gems.

I'm sorry to say that but I've become rather disillusioned in my endeavor as I look at reality.

I may have been a poor choice to take on this endeavor as I'm seeing things that keep me up at night.

Do you mind sharing your endeavor?

I agree, the people you see here are the gems. I know the kind of employee I am and I'm here because I needed to know more and wasn't finding it at my actual job.

Don't be discouraged, but keep working to figure out how to fix the gap. We lost another key player today. One that Target should have been able to keep and had a ton of promise. I'm sad about it and am concerned the replacement won't be as amazing. Time will tell.

My simple job keeps me up at night as well so you have my sympathies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back