Archived Weird Cashier Training?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today was my first day of training- I already had orientation and basically just went over the alcohol procedures and hazardous chemicals. I was really surprised though today, I had read a bit on this site to prepare myself... my anxiety can get real bad- and I had no cashier handbook given to me! I just went straight to shadowing a GSA and then taking over a few transactions when it wasn't too busy. I have 2 more days of official training so I don't know if it'll come up later, but I was just wondering if this is normal?

I wasn't given any manual either. A few of us in a group were shown some basic transactions while the register was in training mode for about 30 minutes or so, and then set up on a lane. We had an experienced cashier nearby to answer any questions.

This is basically what I went through :\ except a lot less teaching was done.. I shadowed another cashier for 15 minutes and was put on the register for the next 3 hours lmao........ 3 weeks later i had to train a new cashier -________-- (still not properly trained myself at the time)

Today was my first day of training- I already had orientation and basically just went over the alcohol procedures and hazardous chemicals. I was really surprised though today, I had read a bit on this site to prepare myself... my anxiety can get real bad- and I had no cashier handbook given to me! I just went straight to shadowing a GSA and then taking over a few transactions when it wasn't too busy. I have 2 more days of official training so I don't know if it'll come up later, but I was just wondering if this is normal?
Manual? What manual? Hazardous chemical procedures? More than one day of training? What the hell is this? I shadowed a GSA for 30 minutes of my "training" shift, and that was it.
I wasn't given any manual either. A few of us in a group were shown some basic transactions while the register was in training mode for about 30 minutes or so, and then set up on a lane. We had an experienced cashier nearby to answer any questions.
The register has a training mode? Why wasn't I told any of this?

Gosh, our training system sucks.

EDIT:
This is basically what I went through :\ except a lot less teaching was done.. I shadowed another cashier for 15 minutes and was put on the register for the next 3 hours lmao........ 3 weeks later i had to train a new cashier -________-- (still not properly trained myself at the time)
Sounds like there's a problem at your store, because I was told that the Target policy is not to let anyone train new hires if they haven't finished their 90 days. Otherwise I would've trained a few people by now.

Cashier is one of those positions you learn best by doing. If you run into trouble flip your light, most guest will be patient if you explain you're new.

Sounds like my experience with training- less than 30 minutes of shadowing.
Now that I'm a GSTL, I ensure that the newbies get a full day of shadowing with their trainer, then on their second day I train them one-on-one for a bit, going over the coupon policy and REDcards. If they're comfortable with being on a register then that would be the end of their training.

If you feel uncomfortable and would like to do more shadowing, talk to your GSTL. If they had you on a lane by yourself for most of your first day I doubt they'll put you back with a trainer without prompting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back