Well I lost my job this week

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMHO, you should either delete this entire thread or just tell the story. I'll bet everyone's imagination has made it much worse than it probably was.....

Am I the only one here who hasn't "imagined" anything at all and doesn't feel some burning desire to know? We all leave out bits and pieces of stories for various reasons. Sometimes we want more details, but for privacy reasons, don't get them. S'all good.

IMHO, you should either delete this entire thread or just tell the story. I'll bet everyone's imagination has made it much worse than it probably was.....

It was not even a big deal.

Basically I was at a best buy doing my job. I will tell you right now that best buy managers are probably the worst, and I feel sorry for anyone who works there having to deal with best buy managers. The vast majority of them are on power trips and talk down to people. Anyway, I was only at the store to do a content change on the PS3. I was planning a few minutes to be there. Some twerp best buy manager comes over to me (looked about 22 years old) and immediately said something like "Hey, I need you to get our Xbox display working before you go and I need it done before you do what you are doing to the PS3". I told him straight up we don't touch other companies products period. Then he said something like "Uh, look, you just need to do it and if you don't get it done I'll need sony's contact info from you". I had just finished the content change and I said something like "Well I'm done here. Cya" I literally pulled out my managers business card and put it in his hand and told him what hours my manager takes calls.

I start walking off and I hear the idiot from behind me say "Hey, get back here". I just kept walking and the idiot kept following me telling me to come back. So I just keep completely ignoring him, and I can hear the dude behind me basically raging on a massive power trip telling me idiotic **** like "I'M A MANAGER HERE, YOU LISTEN AND DO WHAT I SAY". I'm sure that **** works on his employees, but he has zero authority over me. He was basically one of those managers who constantly thinks he is a god, has his employees fear him, and didn't know what to do when someone treated him like the joke that he was.

So by this point I am out in the parking lot and the dumb ass is still following me out to my car. All of a sudden I hear him say "Hey you f***er you do what I say" and the dude grabs my arm and spins me around. Without even thinking about it I punch the idiot straight in his face. From that point a minor fight broke out. There was a cop in the parking lot, and we were arrested probably 45 seconds after it started. Like I said, not even a big deal. Though I did manage to fu** him up in those 45 seconds.

Despite the fact IMO I did nothing wrong I still lost my job. The dude was clearly emotionally going off the deep end, and as far as I was concerned the moment he touched me I was acting in self defense. Unfortunately, HR didn't see it that way. Fortunately, the cops did so I only spent a night in jail. I was going to completely drop the matter, but I got a phone call last week from an attorney and I am actually pressing assault charges against him at the moment and sueing him in civil court for damages. Yes, I should have known that I should have just pushed him off me and got in my car and left because my job was on the line. I do take responsibility for that, but in the heat of the moment you act on instinct when someone touches you.

The good news is, I am sure this idiot got fired too. So from now on he'll be taking orders instead of giving them at the local burger king I'm sure. He clearly is an uneducated moron (came across like a high school drop out) and once he has an assault conviction on his record he obviously isn't going to be able to find another management job anytime soon.

Basically I was at a best buy doing my job. I will tell you right now that best buy managers are probably the worst, and I feel sorry for anyone who works there having to deal with best buy managers. The vast majority of them are on power trips and talk down to people. Anyway, I was only at the store to do a content change on the PS3. I was planning a few minutes to be there. Some twerp best buy manager comes over to me (looked about 22 years old) and immediately said something like "Hey, I need you to get our Xbox display working before you go and I need it done before you do what you are doing to the PS3". I told him straight up we don't touch other companies products period. Then he said something like "Uh, look, you just need to do it and if you don't get it done I'll need sony's contact info from you". I had just finished the content change and I said something like "Well I'm done here. Cya" I literally pulled out my managers business card and put it in his hand and told him what hours my manager takes calls.

I start walking off and I hear the idiot from behind me say "Hey, get back here". I just kept walking and the idiot kept following me telling me to come back. So I just keep completely ignoring him, and I can hear the dude behind me basically raging on a massive power trip telling me idiotic **** like "I'M A MANAGER HERE, YOU LISTEN AND DO WHAT I SAY". I'm sure that **** works on his employees, but he has zero authority over me. He was basically one of those managers who constantly thinks he is a god, has his employees fear him, and didn't know what to do when someone treated him like the joke that he was.

So by this point I am out in the parking lot and the dumb ass is still following me out to my car. All of a sudden I hear him say "Hey you f***er you do what I say" and the dude grabs my arm and spins me around. Without even thinking about it I punch the idiot straight in his face. From that point a minor fight broke out. There was a cop in the parking lot, and we were arrested probably 45 seconds after it started. Like I said, not even a big deal. Though I did manage to fu** him up in those 45 seconds.

Despite the fact IMO I did nothing wrong I still lost my job. The dude was clearly emotionally going off the deep end, and as far as I was concerned the moment he touched me I was acting in self defense. Unfortunately, HR didn't see it that way. Fortunately, the cops did so I only spent a night in jail. I was going to completely drop the matter, but I got a phone call last week from an attorney and I am actually pressing assault charges against him at the moment and sueing him in civil court for damages. Yes, I should have known that I should have just pushed him off me and got in my car and left because my job was on the line. I do take responsibility for that, but in the heat of the moment you act on instinct when someone touches you.

The good news is, I am sure this idiot got fired too. So from now on he'll be taking orders instead of giving them at the local burger king I'm sure. He clearly is an uneducated moron (came across like a high school drop out) and once he has an assault conviction on his record he obviously isn't going to be able to find another management job anytime soon.

Same reasoning during an apprehension and Target Expects us to follow NVI Technique to the T ,***** please..

Same reasoning during an apprehension and Target Expects us to follow NVI Technique to the T ,***** please..

I have never had an apprehension go by the numbers. Sure, they sometimes come along quietly, but when they fight, all of that NVI bull**** pretty much goes out the window.

I don't think I could work for an employer who wouldn't support me defending myself when someone manhandled me, which is why it's a good thing it hasn't happened at spot yet.
I may look like a frumpy unassuming old nag but underestimating would be the worst mistake you could ever make.
And they would come away with a bloody stump where their hand used to be.

I don't think I could work for an employer who wouldn't support me defending myself when someone manhandled me, which is why it's a good thing it hasn't happened at spot yet.
I may look like a frumpy unassuming old nag but underestimating would be the worst mistake you could ever make.
And they would come away with a bloody stump where their hand used to be.

I am with you on that one. I would rather walk away with my dignity, and lose a job than to bow down like a little ***** and have someone beat the **** out f me..,.

I believe they are totally justified in firing you. He didn't hit you. Although he was totally incorrect in grabbing you, YOU were totally wrong in escalating the incident by punching him. There was little choice here and the firing was not only justified but probably necessary. It doesn't do any good for the company to leave in place a rep who hit one of their customers.

I believe they are totally justified in firing you. He didn't hit you. Although he was totally incorrect in grabbing you, YOU were totally wrong in escalating the incident by punching him. There was little choice here and the firing was not only justified but probably necessary. It doesn't do any good for the company to leave in place a rep who hit one of their customers.

Like I said, I know they did what they had to do. I'm not upset with HR - any company would do the same thing.

All I am saying is - I don't care where you work - Target, SCEA, McDonalds, whatever - the moment a customer touches you they cease being a "customer" and become a thug, and anyone who thinks being a "customer" is going to shield them for the consequences of their actions is a fool. It doesn't matter who you are, the natural human reaction to someone touching you aggressively is to S back immediately. Yes, obviously the company will have to fire you, but that doesn't change the fact that a natural response will occur and the "customer" better not be stupid enough to think it won't.

lol that's awesome. I mean, they were totally in the right for firing you, but that jerk off had it coming.

A little off-topic, but why are Best Buy managers such assholes?

I'm still trying to figure out why "it's not a big deal." You punched someone. In front of a cop. Went to jail. Lost your job. Where's 'not a big deal?'

I'm still trying to figure out why "it's not a big deal." You punched someone. In front of a cop. Went to jail. Lost your job. Where's 'not a big deal?'

Idiot. What world do you live on? No one died or suffered permanent injury. People fight every day. Guessing you don't go out to bars much?

Because they went to college, got a 4 year degree, and flunked out of Target's business college?

Actually Best Buy doesn't have a degree requirement like target. From what I could tell whenever I went to a best buy, most of the managers are high school educated at best and possibly high school drop outs. At best buy, the basically promote based totally on who kisses ass, talks down to people, and who makes the most sales. (i.e. who can scam the most people on worthless warranty purchases, magazine subscriptions, or whatever other scam best buy is running at the time)

It may not havet been a closed fist that touched him, but when they grabbed his arm that immediately escalated the situation to an "assault" level and he had the right to defend himself. Ideally he should have responded with enough force needed to protect himself and not done anything to escalate the incident further, but that is a separate discussion and one open to interpretation.

Last edited:
A fight in a public retail location id not a big deal? Lol you need to look at the situation from a business perspectige and grow up.

The fact that you even mention bars and fights as a common occurence says everything about you that anyone would want to know..

A fight in a public retail location id not a big deal? Lol you need to look at the situation from a business perspectige and grow up.

The fact that you even mention bars and fights as a common occurence says everything about you that anyone would want to know..

One of the first places I lived was down the street from a bar that had knock-down-drag-outs just about every night.
The was a divider for the bands kinda like the chicken wire in the 'Blues Brothers'.
The bouncers just tossed people outside and let them handle it in the parking lot.

Nope, no bars. Seems that they lead to fights?

......and joblessness. Not picking on you man, just trying to point out that if you are fighting with strangers, there could be a deeper issue at hand. If someone layed hands on my wife, he would be turned into a blood puddle. If someone layed hands on me I would handle it like a man and go from there. My instinct (and I think I am in the majority) would not be, "I'll just turn around and handle this....fist first. "

......and joblessness. Not picking on you man, just trying to point out that if you are fighting with strangers, there could be a deeper issue at hand. If someone layed hands on my wife, he would be turned into a blood puddle. If someone layed hands on me I would handle it like a man and go from there. My instinct (and I think I am in the majority) would not be, "I'll just turn around and handle this....fist first. "

I didn't say I go around fighting with strangers, just that around here fights (along with murder, robbery, etc) are extremely common. I live in a city with one of the highest robbery, murder, and gang membership rates in the country. Maybe you live in white picket-fence middle/upper class america with mom and dad. Good for, but just realize the whole country isn't like your little perfect white suburbia. Around here, if you get grabbed from behind you S first and ask questions later. Otherwise it very likely could mean your life.

I didn't say I go around fighting with strangers, just that around here fights (along with murder, robbery, etc) are extremely common. I live in a city with one of the highest robbery, murder, and gang membership rates in the country. Maybe you live in white picket-fence middle/upper class america with mom and dad. Good for, but just realize the whole country isn't like your little perfect white suburbia. Around here, if you get grabbed from behind you S first and ask questions later. Otherwise it very likely could mean your life.

If you only knew. I do appreciate the white picket fence suburbia though and LOVE your creative imagination!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back