Archived We're Number Four! We're Number Four!

Status
Not open for further replies.

commiecorvus

Former Signing Ninja
Staff member
Yep, Target is number four on the list of the lowest paying companies in the US.
Right after Walmart, Mcdonalds and Krogers, so Spot is in good company I guess.

http://247wallst.com/special-report/2014/11/07/companies-paying-americans-the-least/4/

With an average employee making $8.85 an hour that sure makes Gregg Steinhafel 13 million seem a bit excessive considering what he did for (or should I say to) the company.

4. Target Corp. (NYSE: TGT)
> U.S. workforce:
333,722 (August)
> CEO compensation: $13.0 million
> Revenue: $72.6 billion
> Net income: $2.0 billion
> No. of U.S. stores: 1,793

The number of Target employees fluctuates seasonally.
During the peak holiday season, at the end of the year, employment surges.
Until last year, when the company expanded into Canada, Target operated exclusively in the U.S.
The average sales floor team member at Target earns just $8.85 per hour, according to Glassdoor.com.
Target defenders might point to the fact that a sales floor team leader earns almost $15 per hour, on average and that eligible employees receive important benefits such as health insurance and a 401(k) plan. My comment - What is the percentage of TL to TM?
In response to shareholder concerns, Target tweaked its CEO compensation package for 2013.

Despite the adjustments, CEO Gregg Steinhafel earned almost $13 million last year before his resignation in the wake of a data breach that roiled the company.

Last edited:
What's scary about raising minimum wage is that companies almost always raise their prices. I agree Target needs to increase their minimums. In our area TMs start at $9 which is still well below cost of living in this area so they could use the boost to $11 minimum.

Costco pays really well, $21 an hour, however they do charge each customer at least $50 a year to shop there so they can make up for high wages.

And three out of the four of these companies are the largest retailers in the country. I guess that's what people want.

I put in about 3 years at Kroger during my high school years. The thing that sets them apart is that the turnover is pretty darn high and the whole company is under collective bargaining. Your raises are guaranteed and they're not competitive so if you stick around, you'll start making better money.

What's scary about raising minimum wage is that companies almost always raise their prices. I agree Target needs to increase their minimums. In our area TMs start at $9 which is still well below cost of living in this area so they could use the boost to $11 minimum.

Which is ridiculous because PEOPLE SPEND MORE WHEN THEY HAVE MORE MONEY WHY DO COMPANIES NOT GET THIS.

Which is ridiculous because PEOPLE SPEND MORE WHEN THEY HAVE MORE MONEY WHY DO COMPANIES NOT GET THIS.

Corporate greed will kill this country. Corporations are run by psychopaths who only care about what THEY can make on the backs of others.

In the past, bosses made a great living BUT they also had respect & loyalty to the people who made that possible.

CEOs know. They do not CARE because as long as they are doing well that's all that matters.

And three out of the four of these companies are the largest retailers in the country. I guess that's what people want.
Cutting controllable expenses like hourly wages is how these companies became the most successful retailers. It's not necessarily what people want, but what corporate wants in order to maximize the company's profits.

Cutting controllable expenses like hourly wages is how these companies became the most successful retailers. It's not necessarily what people want, but what corporate wants in order to maximize the company's profits.

People vote with their wallets. If they were really against this business model, they would shop elsewhere more often.

People vote with their wallets. If they were really against this business model, they would shop elsewhere more often.

Unless they are paid so little they can't afford to shop elsewhere.

The irony is that walmart both pays better and has legitimate opportunities for advancement outside of posterior kissing. At least here anyway. Obviously it's going to vary by location, but one of my former TMs (that was with spot forever) jumped over to wal-mart. They matched her pay, guaranteed her 35 hour weeks, and promised a promotion within six months. All of the above were upheld too. The fact of the matter is, that in my general area, target IS the worst retailer to work for. That being said though, if they just let us have overtime, I'd be more than content working there. Let me pull five ten hour shifts a week, and I'd make enough to live independently and have money left over for fun, and they'd have to hire less employees to get the same work load done, so everybody wins in the end.

Not surprising but there's one big reason why Target should still be considered behind those companies for employee compensation. None of those other companies have a damn hidden glass ceiling above their supervisor position equivalent like there is at Target. There's plenty of people in those companies who worked their way up from the bottom, those people are quickly disappearing at Target and not being replaced because the only promotions Target ever gives out are for ETL and higher. Management should not be an entry level position...

Whole foods pays really good but then again the groceries are really expensive too lol.

Cutting expenses is a part of the whole shebang. The biggest issue is that you can't gut your workforce and then expect the same level quality without compensating the people who are taking up extra slack.

There's a reason I don't see myself with Spot in two years. That reason is there are a half dozen retailers that would kill for someone with two years of supervisory experience (my last job), a year of grocery management (last position at Spot) and current customer service management experience (what I currently do at Spot).

There's a reason every single GSTL at my store over the last three years is either working for Costco or HEB for twice the compensation, or is a GM at a smaller outfit.
/endrant

People don't care what the business practices of the retailer they shop at are, as long as they get low prices. Places like Costco prove that you can slash prices and maintain a quality workforce at competitive wages.

Heck, we have a cashier leaving because Lowes is starting her at $10.11/hr.

Our GSA's are applying there now.

I find this interesting because Target pays pharmacy techs better than most other "chains." I definitely know we pay better than Walgreen's, Walmart, CVS, & Albertson's/Sav-on. I've applied at 3 of those 4 and they were offering me LESS as a CERTIFIED tech than what I initially made here (withOUT certification or schooling of any type)!

I find this interesting because Target pays pharmacy techs better than most other "chains." I definitely know we pay better than Walgreen's, Walmart, CVS, & Albertson's/Sav-on. I've applied at 3 of those 4 and they were offering me LESS as a CERTIFIED tech than what I initially made here (withOUT certification or schooling of any type)!
Yes but most other jobs here start at roughly minimum wage +.50 if you don't have a college degree. I'll keep that in mind though, could be a good idea to get certified and work as a pharmacy tech.

Yes but most other jobs here start at roughly minimum wage +.50 if you don't have a college degree. I'll keep that in mind though, could be a good idea to get certified and work as a pharmacy tech.
Where I live, we pay more for cashiers as well...the other chains pay their cashiers the same amount as their techs :eek: Also, check the requirements in your state, you may be able to start as a tech without being certified first. Many states allow you to work for a certain amount of time before becoming certified, you just need to get licensed, which Target pays for, then you have X amount of time to get certified (usually 2 years.) Some states don't even require certification, but others require schooling. What you learn while working DEFINITELY helps when you take the test and "most" pharmacies have the materials you need to study for the test (some even offer classes).....there is also a TON of info available online that can help. I studied exclusively online and passed with the equivalent of a 95% after a little over a year of OTJ training ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back