Archived What are my chances of making it past my 90 days probation period?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been working at Target for 2 months now. I applied for backroom, but for some reason they wanted to hire me for Flow Team. I took it, cause unemployment sucks.

On my first day I had a HORRIBLE panic attack and actually almost ran out of the building. Second day was A LOT better.

I have already been coached twice for working slow, and been told more times outside of coachings I take too long, but have also been told I work fast, or the right speed a few times. The second coaching was due to me and a new coworker talking too much, taking twice as long as our job should have taken, we both got a coaching for that, but I alrewdg had one for just working slow.

Not only do I still have 30 more days to day 90, but I’m only seasonal, and coworkers told me that Target gets rid of most of the seasonal workers at Christmas (I was hired September 25th). They say you’re pretty much unfirable, even if you make a lot of mistakes, IF you’re full time and after your 90 days.

I’ve already lost 2 jobs (this is my third job) all this year (the second one I technically quit because they’d only keep me if I accepted a demotion, but I chose to quit due to insecurity of what coworkers and even my family would think of me), all have been retail, but that’s really all I qualify for, and fast food would be way, WAY faster, Plus I’m almost 22, I should have a better job at my age.

My team leader has told me a few times that I worked good speed and that I was improving and did a good job (nice to hear) but the boss always brags how he’s faster and better than everyone else.

Most Seasonal workers already get dropped at Christmas! To clarify, HR told me that my seasonal position has a maximum length of 6 months, not 3, so it can be until March, but they throw away seasonal workers in half that time. I never got warnings or corrections at either of my jobs before, it was just an unexpected sudden termination, Target is actually fair when it comes to that, they give coachings and corrections before terminating you.

But I know people put on masks and sugarcoat everything (instead of fired, it’s called being let go) so they can be planning to throw me away right before the 90 day probation period ends and not tell me.

It is a very big deal if I lose this job, because life is already a ridiculous struggle for me.

Following verbal instruction is harder for me, and I weirdly tend to f up when the boss walks by. I was actually on a roll stocking boxes from the line to the pallets, had a good rhythm. And the boss happened to walk back into receiving RIGHT when boxes for the locations I know STOPPED COMING, and he said “You should be taking boxes off the line.” I was looking for boxes to get in the truck! Another guy kept walking to and from the truck to get boxes! (He did say something about making sure the boss wasn’t around.) The boss missed all my good working getting so many boxes off the line and putting them on their pallets!

I have trouble communicating/explaining myself too, so I can potentially screw myself.

They often expect ONE person to do A HUGE amount of work on the floor, in an unreasonable amount of time!

I already struggle with depression and anxiety issues, not even telling my life story. My depression and anxiety issues have gotten SEVERELY worse in recent months, and I feel like I am really losing my sanity. If I get let go again, I might end up in prison or a mental facility! I don’t have anything to lose! I make suicide plans for if I lose my job.

I’ve never even had a girlfriend and I’m still a virgin, I ain’t getting any women if I’m not financially independent. I can’t do shit with my life! Just like ISPs have a monopoly on gateways to the Internet (separate, net neutrality issue) employers/corporations have a monopoly on source of financial independence!

I am so ready to die, not because I actually want to, but because I’m unable to live and do anything I want.

I’ve never even had a girlfriend and I’m still a virgin, I ain’t getting any women if I’m not financially independent. I can’t do shit with my life! Just like ISPs have a monopoly on gateways to the Internet (separate, net neutrality issue) employers/corporations have a monopoly on source of financial independence!

Hope this isn't trolling because if it is sincere my heart goes out to you. But man pull yourself together dude. It's just one job in a sea of many.

Relax, keep doing your job, don't call out, show up, ask your leader how you can improve, keep working hard.

Hope this isn't trolling because if it is sincere my heart goes out to you. But man pull yourself together dude. It's just one job in a sea of many.

Relax, keep doing your job, don't call out, show up, ask your leader how you can improve, keep working hard.

Why would I be trolling?

I did call out one day, but it was after being out after turning in a doctors note. My team leader and boss even SAW my yellow eyes, so they knew I was sick in some way.

Doctor said I may need my gallbladder removed. Haven’t been to the referred surgeon yet (or another one of my parents insurance doesn’t cover the referred one).

I tell myself I hope my gallbladder actually does kill me, because I can’t function with society’s rules.

I have a hard time believing there’s a SEA of jobs, but then again I was isolated my whole life, even actually completely PHYSICALLY isolated living in my room for 2 years (it’s a novel length life story). My sanity really started to go during those 2 years, even now that I’m in civilization, the hardships of it are further killing my sanity.

I’m so close to getting locked up if one more person goes past the line, the mind is different than it used to be, rage replaces fear. My only real fear is not getting to do anything with my life.

I even lashed out at my alcoholic abusive dead and HE WAS SCARED OF ME, not that you have the story or any context to go off of, that is off topic for this forum though. I have lashed out on my family time to time though, one day I stormed out of the house literally ready to kill someone, which I yelled at the top of my lungs. I’m so fucking sick of the way I’m treated, and sick of how my life has went, I only saw them once, but I feel my therapist doesn’t even get it.

I can’t even explain how I feel good enough.

If you are seasonal it's not a 90 day probation anymore. The seasonal addendum gives stores up to 165 days to let you go without penalty.
Well, even if that’s true, Target gets rid of most of the seasonal workers at Christmas (which happens to be EXACTLY 90 days, or close to it...) according to my coworkers.

shit dude we're just target employees, we can give you advice on how to possibly be kept on but we don't need your whole life story in order to do so.

nothing really wrong with anything you said but it's a little strange to assume any of us well, care about the fact that you don't have a girlfriend?

anyway, it's all about knowing your environment. Recognize who has influence where and make the right amount of effort at the right time.

Yes it is known Target seasonal jobs are only temporary. Last year my store kept just a few ppl like two or three. However what a lot of ppl dont is you are elgible for re hire I know a few ppl who applied about a month or 2 after being let go of seasonal...and they were re-hired. So if they dont keep you dont sweat it. Scan the job posting for your store and when an opening comes up (and they will) apply.

If you are working hard, work harder. If your life sucks and you need advice on how to improve it, here it is;
The only person that can improve your life is YOU, not target , not me, not your TL, not your new co worker. It is YOU who can make meaningful changes to YOUR life. If you want to succeed in and keep a job. Work harder than anyone in your department. There is no shame in that. Take on new responsibilities, and ask questions. Stop being a little bitch.

You can get some good advice here.
Some is certainly better than others - seriously dude, since when has telling someone who has expressed pain to stop acting like they are in pain ever worked for fucks sake?

That said, the answer to your question is ... it depends.
Some stores need more man power and will be looking at the seasonal folks to see if any of them are worth hanging on to.
Others have plenty of bodies and won't bother.

Do the best job you can, ask for work, try not to let the stress get to you.
Learn everything you can.
This might not be the job but it certainly will be a job to learn from.

Get some help.
Your personal issues can kill you.
I speak as someone with depression who came pretty close myself.
Get therapy, meds, whatever it takes.
You aren't going to make it without taking care of these issues.

You won't succeed at a job until and unless you address your mental health issues.

I have anxiety, and while I have never lived in an abusive situation, I could not function without treatment. I have a chemical imbalance, no different from a diabetic, and I correct that with a prescription.

Call life resources and tell them about your depression and background. It is a free service, and they can connect you to government and charity aid to be treated. My medication costs $10 a month, and I pay out of pocket $200 a year to see the doctor. That's it.

Your life will not change until you address your depression and rage issues.

I understand you are going through a rough patch in your life, but self harming is never the right answer. I was in a very similar position when I was your age. At 22 I was single and a virgin as well. Flash forward 7 or 8 years and I'm happily married and finishing up my degree at a University. Things will change and will likely get better.

What everyone else said above. Also, this is the link to the Suicide Lifeline. They have a phone and text option. Please consider reaching out to someone. Sometimes, when we are in a personal crisis, we only see tunnel vision and are unable to see the possibilities that are available to you. Take care of yourself - there is only one of you and you are worth it.

Home - https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

I'm not a doctor but clinical depression is an illness that requires treatment just like diabetes, or leukemia, or meningitis or whatever. Leaving it untreated and letting it fester is not the way to go.

There are resources available to you and I really think you should reach out as others have said above. You can get counseling, a diagnosis and a prescription if needed that will make a massive difference and can save your life.

I have a friend who was stopped from committing suicide by a police officer who pulled him off the railroad tracks. They hooked him up with professional help and he said now 4 years later that he feels like a completely different person. Think about how differently that could've gone, if he hadn't been stopped and sought help, I and a lot of other people wouldn't have him as a good friend today.

Yesterday I was told I worked really good, it was a really good day. But today just because some lady heard me say bullshitting, she had to make a big deal of it, and I’m worried she’ll report me, and I read people on here have been instantly terminated for cussing.

A coworker told me he had hundreds of items to stock, I said “Are you bullshitting me?” (Cause he did before) and he said he was serious. This lady called me out and said “Hey, when you say things like that we can hear you all over the store, we’re adults (that’s why she shouldn’t care).” I said “I’m sorry. Please don’t tell anyone.” She responded by saying “Don’t cuss” or “Don’t say bad words.” (Some Jesus freak probably.”

I was wearing my name tag.

I don’t know if she knows that cussing can result in instant termination, but I don’t believe someone deserves to lose their job for cursing, the managers actually do it ALL THE TIME.

YouTubers (before demonetization) cusses like crazy and made hundreds of thousands to millions dollars a year, so unfair.....

Now I’m scared of losing my job, I don’t know if the managers here will care or not if that lady tells them.

Tip: if you do something wrong (on the job), never ever ever say “please don’t tell anyone”. I’ve noticed most times guests don’t care unless you say something like that. A better response could’ve been “I’m sorry! I won’t do it again.” And just leave it at that.

I don’t think you’ll lose your job for that but try to avoid cursing if you’re outside of TSC/breakeoom.

If cussing was instant termination, alot of TMs at my store would be out in a heartbeat. Don't sweat it but be mindful of your language in the future.

Update: As soon as I came back from lunch I’m asked if I can come in at 3:30 AM tomorrow, and told “Everyone else is.” I say I can’t, I do rely on Uber (which he knew, saying it’s ok if I can’t come until my regular 6 AM)

Will this hurt me from going past 90 days?

When it comes to cursing it's an asants kinda thing.

A lot of people at my store curse but to do it in front of a guest is never wise.

Technically it's a corrective under disorderly conduct But that's assuming someone in your store finds out and actually thinks it's worth firing you.

Be aware of your surroundings I don't think I have ever cursed in front a guest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back