Archived What are the everyday job duties of a Team lead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to know because I have interest in eventually becoming one (if i'm ever promoted)

& is there a possibility for a promotion from TM to TL IF you have good enough performance.

I have good sportsmanship
& I constantly ask every guest if they need help finding anything (constant going above and beyond to help others and have interest in it)
Love helping the team if theres any spills or if they need backup
& I'm constantly upbeat and motivated & I really love working and doing new tasks.

& alot more.

I've been working at spot for a year now. Got a really good last review.

Is there ever a possibility?

What are the daily job duties and tasks that a tl has to do besides interviews, focusing strictly on customer service (which I know i do well), team cards, good commutation with fellow tm's,training tm's, zoning..etc?

Definitely a possibility. My store has only been open since about March, and we've had two TMs get promoted to TL. One did go to a different store for their promotion but still. Also do have several more TMs on the bench for TL. They typically pick who they want, but they also sometimes won't ask you if they don't think you're interested. So let your TLs & ETL know, you never know what can happen.

Definitely let your TL and ETL know you're interested in promotion and ask for advice in what you need to improve or work on.
At my store 6 of our 10 TLs promoted from team members, and stayed at our store.

I heard the starting wage has dropped for inside TL hires now that the bench process has rolled out, anyone know if thats true?

Thanks for all your answers.
& @salesfloor10, I always ask for feedback at least once every couple of weeks. And I believe everyone would need improvement on at least one thing, that's the good thing that TL'S and etl's will be always willing to give anyone feedback. Thanks though :) I get the idea.

& what is pay grade 11?

What N11 amounts to will vary depending on your area and according to minimum wage, etc. I think that it's usually about $2 over base(cashier) pay. If you are a higher PG that that, your raise is less.

The duties of TLs vary based on workcenter and store volume among other factors. Like salesfloor10 said, let your leadership know that you are interested in promoting so they can work on your development.

Overall, general job tasks that carry over to all team lead positions are:
-walk the vibe (pretty much a packet of stuff you fill out every other week about your areas, numbers and team)
-motivate and lead your team (flow/backroom/Presentation/guest service are the areas with the biggest teams to manage)
-coach and provide feedback to team members
-evaluate and monitor metrics for your area
-create plans to address issues
-collaborate with other TLs, ETLs, the LOD, and STL on daily tasks/issues
-write schedule for your team

TL core roles vary widely depending on the workcenter. The best way to describe the roles and expectations -

Lead yourself
Solicit feedback, champion personal development and ensure you have completed all appropriate trainings in order to effectively roll out new processes to your team. Leverage your strengths to benefit your team and business, and consistently work towards improving your opportunities.

Lead your team
Manage talent within your team appropriately to meet business goals. Ensure team members are properly trained and educated on best practices in order to fulfill their core roles. Hold team members accountable for their individual performance - recognize top performers and assist those who need attention.

Manage your business
Utilize store reports and business information to ensure your workcenter is meeting expectations. Make informed, confident business decisions in order to drive profitable sales.

Team leaders are essentially given ownership of their respective areas. Your performance will be based on your business' performance - if your business is running well, you will be recognized for it! If things are looking red, be prepared to have some looooong talks with your ETL!

Just keep this in mind - Spot looks for leaders, not just executers. You can run your processes well on your own all day, but the real question is are you able to lead a team to execute the processes just as well?

"Just keep this in mind - Spot looks for leaders, not just executers. You can run your processes well on your own all day, but the real question is are you able to lead a team to execute the processes just as well?"

LOL ROFL LMAO...... What store do you work at? Here is how it has been at my store since the day I got rehired:

1. Most sales floor TMs (95%) are scheduled weekends all hours or weekdays close only.
2. When we come in for a closing shift, we see every TL in the building basically. Literally. Every sales floor TL is there during the days with no (or maybe one or two) TMs. Also most ETLs. They see us, often saying something like "good luck" and they go home.
3. On the rare chance a sales floor TM gets scheduled to open on a weekday, 99% of the time they do stray/zone/keep guests off the backs of TLs while they do projects.
4. On the weekends, the only thing the ETLs let happen are zone/work stray. Often times, there isn't even a TL scheduled... and if there is it is never more than one. So not really much opportunity to "lead".

That is the extent that TLs "lead"... and I think that is how things are at most stores in the company unless you are ultra-high volume.

Every TL is basically a highly-skilled TM. They can do damn near anything in the store, can do it well, and work their asses off.

It seems to me that the days when TL's had teams to "lead" are long gone at most stores.

The one exception I can think of is flow team.

I wouldn't even say GSTLs lead anymore. Usually they have 2-3 cashiers, and the "leading" is usually telling a cashier to go zone the candy or checklanes end caps.... or nagging everyone to get redcards.... basically what any GSA can do.

I am glad I am not a TL anymore. I honestly don't think I could keep a straight face if an ETL started giving the "lead your team" speech. Lead your team of 0 to 1 TMs.... Right.....

An STL's responsibility is essentially making sure stores stay within budget. They can't control sales [to a measurable degree, anyway], but they can control expenses.
To that end the STL has a team of ETLs, who are capable of doing the large majority of the STL's daily tasks and special functions (hiring, firing, running point on the building) that lower level employees aren't entrusted to do. An ETL has ultimate responsibility over each area of the store. and the STL will come back to them for accountability when something goes wrong/right in an ETL's respective area.

Each ETL has a handful of TLs at their disposal. The ETL will look to the TL to do most of the dirty work in the daily upkeep of their area and processes. From writing schedules, to filling out paperwork, to interviewing staff, to doing all the tasks that the area's TMs do - TLs are the dogs of the store. What's more, the TL is often the scapegoat for the failings of their ETL. Any successes of the TL ultimately get attributed to their ETL by higher management, and while the ETL might be the face of shame when something goes wrong, they'll often turn and point the finger at their TLs.

To complete this illustration of the store hierarchy, there are the TMs which are (sorry) the pawns placed by everyone above them, the low-level worker bees that can be asked to do something and usually counted on to complete it, with varying levels of finesse and ingenuity. TLs use their TMs to accomplish the daily tasks that the TL can feel comfortable entrusting to [potentially very] green hands so that they can perform the specialized duties that their areas may require.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back