What can be expected from Grocery Pickup?

I haven’t seen different RTS dates for produce in our store. But, with the example given above: canned good could bruise the apples or the bag of apples could smash the potato chip bag.

For some strange reason I can not accept the idea of someone picking my groceries. Unless I was completely infirm, immobile and not able to get out, I will get my own stuff, thank you. I never park near the door of any store, I park way far away and walk the distance to the store. Good exercise and you protect your car from assholes slamming it with carts and doors. I do walk past the parking places allocated for pick up and 9/10 times it's a Karen in the expensive SUV, pushing a button to automatically open the hatch door. They are perfectly capable of shopping, they're just pathetically lazy and entitled. I won't comment on the folks picking, never witnessed it or them so it's unfair to judge.
I've gotten spoiled with pickup and delivery, but prior shopping for groceries was a pain. I rarely spent less than an hour and a half and one time I spent two hours on a single grocery run. Stand there and try to figure out price per unit for shampoo, since prices may have changed and there's a sale item to compare against. When it got too difficult to figure out, pull out the calculator. Repeat for all other items that I'm not picky about brand, just want the best price. Hmmm, something's out of stock or I don't like the quality of the last item. Put x, y, z back and start looking for an alternate. Wow, that piece of meat is on a really good sale. Put back x, y, z, run to the aisles I've already gone through to look for ingredients to match that sale meat. Track down someone to see if there's any more broccoli in the back, and stay put so they can find me again. See another good sale, run back through some aisles a third time for ingredients to match. Stare at the cereal until I'm certain as to whether or not I want to buy any. Stop by a price scanner and scan every item to make sure I'm within budget. Nope, find a few alternatives that are a little less money. Finally ready to check out, and stand in line forever as I always manage to time it to when everyone else is buying.

Sitting in front of a computer still takes about an hour, but it's easier to budget and I'm not wandering around looking for alternatives when something's out of stock.

Whew, I'm exhausted already! The beauty of the United States of America is we have choices without judgement. If it works for you, super! We have many grocery stores very close by so going shopping is easy. I've never spent more than 15 mins in a grocery store, Target or Wally. I don't want anyone other than Mrs. Captain touching my groceries or big box items.

It will be a shit show either way. A TON of good tips in this thread. Only problem is you won't have the payroll to implement it, or you ETLs/SD won't support it.

"What? You're going to go audit the grocery hold locations, again? Isn't this the second time today? You did it yesterday, right? Just leave it. I need you to go push that stationary vehicle for me."

Quick question. Someone mentioned that produce should not be bagged with dry groceries. Why? If I have an order that is a bag of apples, what is the reason I can not place a bag of chips in the same bag, or a can of soup? The other examples I completely agree with but this one is confusing me. Thanks for your help.

That's more presentation than food safety and probably ASANTS. My store doesn't care about it as long as you don't put the apples on top of the chips. Just bag smart like you would want a cashier to bag your groceries or how you would do so yourself at SCO.

@Anelmi The RTS dates are the same. Guests have until the end of the next business day to pick up grocery orders.

Ha, those months before you get the coolers are tough! For us, it started out with the occasional grocery order until guests became aware after about a month. Then it picked up enough that our "runner" was almost literally running back there to keep up, and we got the front of store fridges just in time. It's an experience that I'm glad has come and gone.
We got our OPU coolers months before they implemented fresh OPU at my store.

We got our OPU coolers months before they implemented fresh OPU at my store.
Lucky! Freezer was the furthest point in the store from the Drive-Up stage, and coolers were in a different spot, so it was a long haul getting those orders for a few months.

Quick question. Someone mentioned that produce should not be bagged with dry groceries. Why? If I have an order that is a bag of apples, what is the reason I can not place a bag of chips in the same bag, or a can of soup? The other examples I completely agree with but this one is confusing me. Thanks for your help.

Produce needs to breathe. Cans bruise the shit out of things.

For some strange reason I can not accept the idea of someone picking my groceries. Unless I was completely infirm, immobile and not able to get out, I will get my own stuff, thank you. I never park near the door of any store, I park way far away and walk the distance to the store. Good exercise and you protect your car from assholes slamming it with carts and doors. I do walk past the parking places allocated for pick up and 9/10 times it's a Karen in the expensive SUV, pushing a button to automatically open the hatch door. They are perfectly capable of shopping, they're just pathetically lazy and entitled. I won't comment on the folks picking, never witnessed it or them so it's unfair to judge.

I've gotten spoiled with pickup and delivery, but prior shopping for groceries was a pain. I rarely spent less than an hour and a half and one time I spent two hours on a single grocery run. Stand there and try to figure out price per unit for shampoo, since prices may have changed and there's a sale item to compare against. When it got too difficult to figure out, pull out the calculator. Repeat for all other items that I'm not picky about brand, just want the best price. Hmmm, something's out of stock or I don't like the quality of the last item. Put x, y, z back and start looking for an alternate. Wow, that piece of meat is on a really good sale. Put back x, y, z, run to the aisles I've already gone through to look for ingredients to match that sale meat. Track down someone to see if there's any more broccoli in the back, and stay put so they can find me again. See another good sale, run back through some aisles a third time for ingredients to match. Stare at the cereal until I'm certain as to whether or not I want to buy any. Stop by a price scanner and scan every item to make sure I'm within budget. Nope, find a few alternatives that are a little less money. Finally ready to check out, and stand in line forever as I always manage to time it to when everyone else is buying.

Sitting in front of a computer still takes about an hour, but it's easier to budget and I'm not wandering around looking for alternatives when something's out of stock.
Delivery is awesome! I use either Peapod or InstaCart. I used Shipt once and I liked that as well. Hell, I even get my libations delivered - Drizly.com, it's great! They've got an app, of course.

Shopping was so stressful at the beginning of the pandemic, and these delivery services have been wonderful. I still shop at my store, of course, and I hit the grocery store occasionally too, for things not available through the apps. And Captain, while I don't have an issue with folks touching my dry groceries, I am skittish about anyone picking out my produce.

A little snow storm levity: in one cubic foot of snow there can be as many as 1,000,000,000 snowflakes and a probability of zero of any two being identical.

Delivery is awesome! I use either Peapod or InstaCart. I used Shipt once and I liked that as well. Hell, I even get my libations delivered - Drizly.com, it's great! They've got an app, of course.

Shopping was so stressful at the beginning of the pandemic, and these delivery services have been wonderful. I still shop at my store, of course, and I hit the grocery store occasionally too, for things not available through the apps. And Captain, while I don't have an issue with folks touching my dry groceries, I am skittish about anyone picking out my produce.
I'll have to try those two. I fell out of love with Shipt, wrote them a scatching goodbye letter and told them exactly of what I thought of how downhill their hiring standards have become. Shipt became as bad as DoorDash locally.

I'll have to try those two. I fell out of love with Shipt, wrote them a scatching goodbye letter and told them exactly of what I thought of how downhill their hiring standards have become. Shipt became as bad as DoorDash locally.
OMG DoorDash around here sucks too. Twice they delivered food to the neighbor's house, left it on their steps as my husband was out on the porch yelling and waving at them. The third time they delivered it to the wrong neighborhood completely and it was "pass the buck" between the delivery person and DoorDash - had to get the money back from the restaurant. Terrible.

Last edited:
My door bell seems to conveniently break for Door Dash drivers. Ticks me off, how hard is it to press a button that measures 3x1.5 inches?

Back