Archived What degree does your STL/ETL have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

myDevice

GSA
Just wanted to know what degrees your ETL/STL has (or if you are one yourself, your degree).

The ones I know are my ETL-GE is a BA in Sports Nutrition (college hire). My ETL-Log has a BA in Communication (also a college hire). My STL has a BS in Computer Science (was an ETL-AP straight out of college).

You?

About 5 years ago now, during a TL meeting with the district manager and HRBP, someone asked them why they only hired college grads for ETL positions. Of course they tried to deny that but we all knew differently. When pressed, they told us that college grads showed that that could commit and stick with something for 4 years, it didn't matter what their degree was in. When asked what about those TLs that had over 5 years and up to 16 years of commitment to the company, they had no answer but to try to back pedal and claim they did promote within.
This was at a time when the new ETL's coming through our store for training or staying more often than not had not even had a job. Of course they also were promised "management" positions and who would ever think to tell them they would be throwing trash everyday !

they did promote within.
XtMZG2s.gif

I want a college degree, wanting to stay with Target, but can't put me in a TL position o_O

My old TL and ETL wanted to me to apply for an ETL position when I was near graduating. Nope. Much happier using my degree and making more money. It’s a good path for some, others it’s a mere stepping stone to get sellable qualities for the next gig.

I can't speak for my STL. Only thing I know is that my AAA Store is his first store. We're one of two stores in the city.

I have a Bachelor's BBA which I've acquired while employed to Spot. I could use it, but honestly I believe some leaders need to be shifted to make the store better. It's challenging when some haven't been there a year yet. They don't grasp on how to make each department run fluidly. We've been successful within the region before, but now, no.

One ETL with a degree in history, another ETL in marketing, and an STL in our district with no degrees at all.

My STL has their MBA.

ETL AP has a bachelor degree in psychology and I believe a minor in business.

I've seen some long time ETLs that didn't even have a degree.

I'm sure they've told me, but I don't remember at all.

I have a degree in sociology. When I was an STL I had a team leader with no college classes or degree but was amazing at his job. I fought long and hard because I knew he would be a great ETL. It paid off because he’s been a kick ass ETL ever since. Not sure he would ever be promoted to STL- but I’m happy I went above and beyond for him!

My stl has an art degree. I'd be more specific, but... it'd be too specific.

Last edited:
No idea what any of their degrees are in.
But I've never understood the rationale - sticking to something for 4 years is meaningless. Lots of people stick to all kinds of things besides post-secondary education for long periods of time because they believe it's important. Funny though how Target doesn't see fit to reward other long-term commitments, including to them. People have been at my store for 20+ years and might make excellent leaders, but they've never even be considered for promotion and never will be.

My STL actually has a degree in something like retail management...i'm still not sure about my ETLs though.

My STL has an MBA. Think all ETLs have undergrad degrees.
I have a BS and BA.

We have several with and without degrees. I don't understand yhe mindset. I've had conversations with my STL about moving to ETL. He keeps mentioning a degree and I'm like does this really matter when you have people who been here for years actually committing to the company.

I only have an Associates in Applied Science. We have recently promoted two TLs to ETL without degrees. Funny how the out of college hires be the worst ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back