Archived What Did Targets look like before pFresh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, somewhat silly question, but I hardly remember what Target looked like before pFresh started, especially as I've only been working at Spot for a few months. I'm curious as to what all that space was used for before groceries and what not. It's a fairly large space, and must have uprooted a good deal of merchandise that simply has no room for it now. So what was there? It's hard to imagine now there not being any groceries (especially since I usually work in consumables) but clearly something was there before. I would drive to a Target without a grocery, but it seems like nearly all of them have one now.

Refresh my memory, and if anyone has any pictures, that would be even better. Thanks, sort of a itching question I've had for a while.

It depends on the store. Mine was built in 07 and we moved the training room to underused backroom space, removed an aisle from each end of hardlines facing market and expanded market 3 more 4 ft sections. Where Pfresh is was just rows of freezers and coolers.

Of course we had an expanded market before Pfresh... older stores had less than what we started out with.

our cooler freezers just moved over and the pfresh part moved in. Also softlines was one side hardlines the other, now hardlines wraps around softlines in the middle.

I'm not sure if this is a spotwide thing, but at my store when my brother worked here several years ago, the area where our pFresh is, was called something along the lines of Yellow World (?). Correct me if I'm wrong.

My store completely uprooted every department except for the stuff in the center. I'd go into greater detail but I'd probably give my location away with the amount of work that was involved in our change over.

My store was built in 08 and we still don't have pfresh. Still just rows of coolers and freezers. Wish we could get pfresh.

Hmm interesting, daninnj. Looks like they got rid of the "home floral" section. Anyway, I must be total dunce then, because evidently there WAS a grocery section, it just didn't have produce or meat (duh). For some reason, I guess I thought the old Targets had NO food, sort of like a Kohls or Macys. Evidently, they did. Although, I swear, in the recesses in my mind, I remember going to a Target years ago, and there was only like, 3 or so aisles of basic groceries. No bread even, just chips, nuts- the kind of things you might get at a drug store. And I recall people sometimes mentioning we used to sell a lot more arts and crafts type things, as well as hardware, I was wondering what that looked like. It would be kind of neat if they had more arts and crafts, to be honest.

I started at my store a couple months before our P-Fresh remodel. We already had extended market, so they just had to move things around. Other than that, all I remember is that the shoe department moved and became much smaller.

@monty1 Years ago, Target didn't have any groceries. The selections have grown over the years in non-SuperTargets, leading up to the rollout of P-Fresh.

Pretty much. We have a freezer/cooler section that's about 40 feet long on the back section of our market department. Our Market is only 18 aisles. I don't believe that qualifies us as PFresh..

Years ago, Target didn't have any groceries. The selections have grown over the years in non-SuperTargets, leading up to the rollout of P-Fresh.
Ah see, so there wasn't a grocery section! Then my burning question is still: What was in that space before?! SOMETHING had to go, and I guess I just have a weird fascination in knowing what had to go. Is this where we used to keep all the RIT guests always ask for? :rolleyes:

One of our backroom ladies has been working at Target for 25 years, I'll ask her! Our target has been around for a while.

Pretty much. We have a freezer/cooler section that's about 40 feet long on the back section of our market department. Our Market is only 18 aisles. I don't believe that qualifies us as PFresh..

Pretty much if you have any kind of produce, you're p-fresh. I think you definitely are a pfresh. before pfresh we literally had 2 coolers and half an aisle of food.. mostly bread and snacks. Now we have like 20 aisles. They shrank our seasonal, automotive, sporting goods, and home storage/housewares depts

They shrank everything pretty much besides HBA/Pharmacy and softlines. We went from having 3 aisles of automotive to 1. 5 aisles of home storage down to 2 etc. Our seasonal dept was huge.. now they cram it into a small floor pad with less than half the merch.

Pretty much if you have any kind of produce, you're p-fresh. I think you definitely are a pfresh. before pfresh we literally had 2 coolers and half an aisle of food.. mostly bread and snacks. Now we have like 20 aisles. They shrank our seasonal, automotive, sporting goods, and home storage/housewares depts

We don't have any fresh produce though. No fruits and veggies, just dry goods.

We don't have any fresh produce though. No fruits and veggies, just dry goods.
That is so wierd. You basically have exactly what we have minus our small produce section. And we had to remodel to pfresh to get that.. lol

They shrank everything pretty much besides HBA/Pharmacy and softlines. We went from having 3 aisles of automotive to 1. 5 aisles of home storage down to 2 etc. Our seasonal dept was huge.. now they cram it into a small floor pad with less than half the merch.

This. Garden Center, anyone?

This seems like an old store with a limited market.

remodellings.png

In fact, here's 218 pictures of the Ames, Iowa store being remodeled in 2010: https://www.flickr.com/photos/fourstarcashiernathan/sets/72157624642733431

(I still have that chair on the right in IMG1706; got it on clearance for $30. Sit on it daily)

They walled in our garden center to incorporate P-Fresh. We have an extra aisle along the front wall which is A47, but across the aisle is G1. A47-G42 run north-south, while most of the others in A, B, C, D, E, F run east-west. There are a few weird aisles in A block because of where they installed the compressors for P-Fresh.

This seems like an old store with a limited market.

remodellings.png

In fact, here's 218 pictures of the Ames, Iowa store being remodeled in 2010: https://www.flickr.com/photos/fourstarcashiernathan/sets/72157624642733431

(I still have that chair on the right in IMG1706; got it on clearance for $30. Sit on it daily)
Thank you, this is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. And wow, it seems so weird without there being RED everywhere. Really couldn't even tell it was Target without the shopping cart and 5% banners on every aisle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back