What do you do when you are asked to work outside your work center?

….. just saying that the way target treats it’s employees. Non competitive pay, payroll cuts, high expectations. it’s overwhelming for teens.

No one wants to work….. for a company that doesn’t treat them well (especially with pay)
ASANTS.

Target treats me very well, and I have an amazing group of leaders from the SD on down. I love working for the company. 🤷‍♀️

We have a bunch of teens that are all chomping at the bit to move up, and putting in the work necessary to make that happen since they know our store does the vast majority of its promotions internally.

All teens are not the same.

Last edited:
Target treats me very well, and I have an amazing group of leaders from the SD on down. I love working for the company. 🤷‍♀️

We have a bunch of teens that are all chomping at the bit to move up, and putting in the work necessary to make that happen since they know our store does the vast majority of its promotions internally.
i didn’t say at the store level. store level is a ASANTS but corp basically treats all stores the same (unless you’re a UHV store in MN)

All stores are getting hours cut. all stores are getting HR funds cut. all stores are getting higher expectations with the same pay. Hell, WALMART is paying their workers more in most cases. don’t forget, God forbid someone speaks about a union lmao.

i didn’t say at the store level. store level is a ASANTS but corp basically treats all stores the same (unless you’re a UHV store in MN)

All stores are getting hours cut. all stores are getting HR funds cut. all stores are getting higher expectations with the same pay. Hell, WALMART is paying their workers more in most cases. don’t forget, God forbid someone speaks about a union lmao.
If Corp treats all the stores the same, why are some stores great and others shit? I've read horror stories of the stores some of y'all work at, and I would never want to work at Target if I thought the Company culture was the same across the brand. That's clearly not the case. I average over 40 hours a week for the past 4'ish years, and have never seen anyone in my department get their hours cut against their desire. Everyone in my department gets all the hours they want, and more, as long as they don't hit OT.

You can blame corporate I guess, but all stores would be seeing the same cuts if that was the case. It's not the case at our store. Are we special cases far, far away from Minnesota?

If Corp treats all the stores the same, why are some stores great and others shit? I've read horror stories of the stores some of y'all work at, and I would never want to work at Target if I thought the Company culture was the same across the brand. That's clearly not the case. I average over 40 hours a week for the past 4'ish years, and have never seen anyone in my department get their hours cut against their desire. Everyone in my department gets all the hours they want, and more, as long as they don't hit OT.

You can blame corporate I guess, but all stores would be seeing the same cuts if that was the case. It's not the case at our store. Are we special cases far, far away from Minnesota?

Corporate treats all stores the same in that if you make them money you will be given love and if you don't make them money you will be treated like the red headed step child.
However, the principle of 'we have to make all the money' affects all the stores equally in the form of brutal hours cuts and poorly thought out Operating Plans.
But the thing that makes ASANTS the rule is the complete lack of transparency and terrible training/hiring of management.
It is possible for stores to get amazing managers who take it on themselves to keep the employees informed and the store well run.
But that can change in the matter of months when Spot decides to move some of those managers to other stores at random and completely kills what was working.
There are times when I think Spot actively hates its employees.

Last edited:
Corporate treats all stores the same in that if you make them money you will be given love and if you don't make them money you will be treated like the red headed step child.
However, the principle of 'we have to make all the money' affects all the stores equally in the form of brutal hours cuts and poorly thought out Operating Plans.
But the thing that makes ASANTS the rule is the complete lack of transparency and terrible training/hiring of management.
It is possible for stores to get amazing managers who take it on themselves to keep the employees informed and the store well run.
But that can change in the matter of months when Spot decides to move some of those managers to other stores at random and completely kills what was working.
That's a fair take. We've been lucky I guess in that we've had the same SD the entire time, and basically the same management team the almost 4 years I've been here. Most promotion is done internally (TM >TL>ETL), so we don't have a drain of talent or knowledge constantly affecting us. We're an extremely well run store with everyone on the same page and pulling in the same direction.

That's a fair take. We've been lucky I guess in that we've had the same SD the entire time, and basically the same management team the almost 4 years I've been here. Most promotion is done internally (TM >TL>ETL), so we don't have a drain of talent or knowledge constantly affecting us. We're an extremely well run store with everyone on the same page and pulling in the same direction.
That's what my store was like. Most of the management had 10+ years at spot. A few promos a couple left and a few pushed out. Got a new SD and a new gmetl that basically helped run the store and we were fine for 18 months. Now they are both gone specialty has continued to struggle and its been a nightmare for the past 8 months. It's amazing how fast it can burn to the ground. Even more amazing when you think it can't get worse and they always find a way. Thankfully it is looking better, but it's really only one bad week or 2 and we could be right back to where we were. Trying to heavy focus on getting ready for bts as that going well could really help out.

I don't think that's true about Walmart. Around here their starting pay is less than or on par with Target depending on the position.

For some reason people love to rag on Target like their pay sucks, when really it's pretty much on par with the average retailer, and often a bit better than some. I agree that they are not above everyone else like they were for a brief period, but they're definitely competitive.

I don't think that's true about Walmart. Around here their starting pay is less than or on par with Target depending on the position.

For some reason people love to rag on Target like their pay sucks, when really it's pretty much on par with the average retailer, and often a bit better than some. I agree that they are not above everyone else like they were for a brief period, but they're definitely competitive.
In my area Target doesn't really pay much more than anywhere else.

However Target acts like they pay $2 or more than anyone else.

day times, night times, all times.

Ok I have to know how Target acts this way.
Everyone is paying $15.50 and up now not like it was a couple of years.

Most fast food places at $16 around here now.

Potential hires are not beating down the door to work at our Target because they have better options.

These places also offer more consistent start times and schedules because potential hires ask for that up front in writing.

I permanently changed my availability because to start no earlier than 2:00 to because I would get scheduled at 10:00 AM, Noon, etc.

Potential hires are not beating down the door to work at our Target because they have better options.

These places also offer more consistent start times and schedules because potential hires ask for that up front in writing.

I permanently changed my availability because to start no earlier than 2:00 to because I would get scheduled at 10:00 AM, Noon, etc.
I still don't see how that's Target acting like they pay more. It's just Target being Target.

The lack of consistent hours sucks but it's been like that forever for part-timers. Even when I was at Sears, the PTs complained about lack of hours and consistent schedules.

If you had open availability, it's no wonder you got scheduled at those times. Availability is there for a reason, your ETL's don't know that unless you specifically block off hours you don't want to work. My ETL's did the same until I blocked off the hours when I needed them off, and it stopped.

My Target is almost $17/hour starting. $2 shift bonus if overnight. Pretty nice imho.

Walmart starting pay is $14

Hmm I always say you're hired as a "team member" first and foremost. You do what the team i.e store needs. With that being said I operate off of a rule that I will never ask someone to do something I'm not willing to do or haven't done.

I get carts, I've thrown trucks, I've pushed mountains of freight, I set aisles, I cleaned spills, etc. Therefore, if a team member tells me they don't want to do something because they weren't hired for that I'll be very annoyed. I'm not asking for a kidney.

I think it's important to voice when you're getting abused though. Like if they're using you for something 24/7 and there is other resources I believe that's a fair point. However, saying "that's not my job" annoys me. People forget this isn't volunteer work. They're paying you to work. Be respectful, voice things that bother you, but also understand you're there for business needs. For people on the leadership level I think it's important for us to be open to hearing that feedback of people just wanting to do a specific job. I've had that before and I explained the why behind my asks and the team member understood. I did however made it a point to keep that frustration they felt in mind when moving resources. They appreciate knowing at least its on your mind and you're trying to make sure they're okay and being heard.

It's like when I'm asked to cover a store. Do I want to do it? No, I'm running my own store but it's what's asked of me and it's what the business needs so copy that.

Last edited:
'Except when you suspect it's retaliation. I once reported a SD s "favorite" long time TM for daily bullying on the floor...she even ripped apart my work during a pog and told me to do it again while throwing plastic shelf holders at my feet... and "I" was taken off the floor and assigned to the truck without notice or training. I reported "that" act by SD to hr and eventually that SD disappeared.

'Except when you suspect it's retaliation. I once reported a SD s "favorite" long time TM for daily bullying on the floor...she even ripped apart my work during a pog and told me to do it again while throwing plastic shelf holders at my feet... and "I" was taken off the floor and assigned to the truck without notice or training. I reported "that" act by SD to hr and eventually that SD disappeared.

Liked this because I agreed that that kind of bullshit needs to be reported not because it happened to you.
I'm sorry it happened to you.

I'm 50+. I throw anywhere from 1-3 trucks a night depending on who we have available, unloading 1200+ cartons an hour on average.

Kids nowadays...
That’s so wrong on the part of your leaders . I would never put a tm over 50 in the truck for more than 15 minutes top, if anything I would have that person on the line to do sort .
No disrespect to you whatsoever.

IMHO Target used open availability to fool people thinking they will be scheduled more.

I don't think potential hires fall for that anymore.
In my 12 years experience with Target people with open availability tend to get more hours than those with limited availability. The exception to that being those that can only close we always need closers. It could also be ASANTS.

That’s so wrong on the part of your leaders . I would never put a tm over 50 in the truck for more than 15 minutes top, if anything I would have that person on the line to do sort .
No disrespect to you whatsoever.
I volunteer for it, no issues whatsoever, so it's all g on my end. I'm a healthy Gen-X'er that enjoys the occasional truck workout. I don't do it every single night, we have our usual throwers, but I'm no slouch when they need me to throw. I'm usually sorting anyway.

The young'uns talked smack at first, then shut up when they realized they can't sort faster than I throw and I end up waiting on them.

Back