What does a leadership team look like in a DC?

I work in stores as a TL, but I'm just wondering how the org chart looks in a DC if I ever am interested in moving over.

General Manager < what it used to be called. Don't know now.

Senior Operations Manager < One per department ( Inbound, Outbound, Warehouse, MBP/Packing, E&F) this may have changed.

Operations Manager <(Two per key usually) may have changed.

Lead Warehouse Worker <(Two per key usually) may have changed.

Plus various other OMs, safety, trainers, quality, HR, etc. Weirdly, DCs seemed to function better before they had five million different roles and actually trained people properly and held them to standard.

Last edited:
Team Member - you
Lead Warehouse Worker - equivalent to a team lead. Usually 2 of them
Operations Manager - equivalent to an ETL
Senior Operations manager - one per shift. All OMs report to them on that shift

Those are the people you generally deal with. There's a higher tier of management then the Site Director who everyone reports to but you won't deal with them as a team member

General Manager < what it used to be called. Don't know now.

Senior Operations Manager < One per department ( Inbound, Outbound, Warehouse, MBP/Packing, E&F) this may have changed.

Operations Manager <(Two per key usually) may have changed.

Lead Warehouse Worker <(Two per key usually) may have changed.

Plus various other OMs, safety, trainers, quality, HR, etc. Weirdly, DCs seemed to function better before they had five million different roles and actually trained people properly and held them to standard.
gm is now Called the site director and below them are 2 od’s, operations directors.

this is so true, except not all roles are currently held to expectation. We have LWW going to trainers all the time asking things they should already know, really basic questions. And these are LWW that have been in role since the first roll out, not new to role or even new to that team. while the trainers are supposed to answer, with a smile, when they themselves were turned down for the LWW role instead of the dumbass asking what cph is, how to swa, or what to do when a license shows on the report.

FWIW, all the good TM's who left our store that went to a DC to chase the money, all quit within a year, or moved and went back to store side. Probably best to ask how the work load, conditions, expectations are. :D
Even this is probably gonna be DC specific, or at least DC type specific (RDC, FDC, IW, etc.).

I've been asked to transfer to stores a few times. I refuse. DC pays better, has a better and usually more consistent schedule and there's no guests complaining while you're trying to work.

tgt dc has a lot over other low end jobs held by many of the masses jobs

-mostly consistent set hours (i know theres been flex down lately, but typically over a year you can way more than even that out with ot). no begging for hours or inconsistent scheduling
-can take vacation on a very short notice and anytime calender is open. many/most jobs are nothing like this! for example my brother only gets two weeks a year i believe and he has to take it all at once and get approved way ahead of time etc. basically because his job doesnt have a million interchangeable people, if he's out it's a big deal.
-tons of vacation time at least once you get some seniority
-a lot of benefits etc.
-no dealing with customers!
-if you work an A key youre STARTING with 4 days off a week and any VNS/vac etc is on top of that. It's the perfect job to work 2 jobs etc. i remember back when there was no a keys and all the building had was 4x10, the united way ppl were asking us "what do you guys do with all that time off?". because 3 days is a lot for most.
-dont have to think (can be a plus or minus)
-you can often get all the OT you want. But on top of all that you are usually not forced to work OT if you dont want too. Thats actually a crazy benefit.
-Good pay. I calculated if you worked every last drop of OT available (just about a year ago this didnt seem all that unrealistic) a WW would gross 89k. But even just decent OT can net you 60k. Tons of jobs with degrees dont pay that
-can get a workout/physical activity/weight loss

downsides:

-youre basically a wage slave. Usually on production. Managers tend to treat everybody like children
-no heating/ac to speak of. it really bugs me to come in in the cold in the winter times.
-beats the hell out of your body. we will have a lot of aches and pains when we're old. or do already.
-can be kinda mind numbing imo
-a ton of random unfairness and favoritism from management

FWIW, all the good TM's who left our store that went to a DC to chase the money, all quit within a year, or moved and went back to store side. Probably best to ask how the work load, conditions, expectations are. :D

Yup. It takes a certain breed, not allergic to work, being harped on over numbers, and grinding mind numbing 12 hr shifts. Not for everyone. Some people, even a lot of people would rather wear clean shirts, do little physical activity, work 8 hr shifts, and make $15 an hour.

Last edited:
Back