What Does An ETL Do All Day?

I’m new and still love it here at T. However, some days (like today) where I’m buried in uboats of stock, repacks and reshops. Never have I seen my ETL on the floor ready to work shoulder to shoulder with me.
I come from a previous retailer where the leaders did the same work as the associates, plus more. Just curious why that isn’t the case here.
Are they swamped with paperwork or something?
Inquiring minds want to know!

This is a great attitude you are bringing. You are new and you’re already questioning whether your superiors do any “actual work” right? Cause you are the one out there pushing/backstocking etc, and your ETL is not there with you so he/she must not working right?
Well, you are responsible for 1 uboat maybe 2 or three. They are responsible for the whole 🤬 building.
Was that “real” enough? Or do you just want to hear yourself talk?

@Planosss. There wasn’t anything implied. I was just asking what they do all day out of curiosity. I’ve worked in retail a loooong time with different retailers. So even though I’m new to Target I’m a seasoned veteran to the industry. Heck, I’m probably been in retail longer than you’ve been alive!Just curious how it works here, in all my experiences I at least saw them some part of the day, whether it was quick greeting or to answer any questions.
Not the case here, but I’m sure that’s ETL specific.

@Planosss. There wasn’t anything implied. I was just asking what they do all day out of curiosity. I’ve worked in retail a loooong time with different retailers. So even though I’m new to Target I’m a seasoned veteran to the industry. Heck, I’m probably been in retail longer than you’ve been alive!Just curious how it works here, in all my experiences I at least saw them some part of the day, whether it was quick greeting or to answer any questions.
Not the case here, but I’m sure that’s ETL specific.
Heck, maybe you’re the one not seeing them. Cause believe me they are watching your every move.

My ETL's don't push freight, but they will sometimes do pulls, but more often they're working on POGs or finding space for shit or doing the schedule or dealing with vendors or doing VM stuff or bringing in carts or salting the sidewalks or doing signage or answering phone calls from TMs calling in or dealing with irritating guests or dealing with the same asinine question from newbie TMs who don't get that you start your questions with a TM or TL not with the SD or ETL...

And so on.

My ETL walks around drinking Starbucks and annoying everyone on the walkie with questions that she would already know the answer to if she was doing her job instead of taking personal phone calls all day. The fact that she sounds like Alvin the chipmunk on helium over the walkie does little to endear her to anyone, either, nor does the fact that the only exercise she gets is throwing people under the bus.🙄
In fairness, some ETLs do work very hard and are very supportive of their teams, at least that’s how it was before Modernization, and probably still is, somewhere...

Anyone who has been in retail for any length of time knows there is lots to do that isn’t ‘seen’ but is necessary to a smooth running store.
An ETL must first answer to the SD demands, whatever they may be: run something, do something, fix something, prove something.
An ETL is responsible for doing no tasks BUT they are ACCOUNTABLE for all results. They need to reach goals in 13 metrics Each week. They need to ensure all tm’s scheduled that day are productive and where they are needed. Fix issues tm run into, satisfy angry Karen’s, interview, complete Audit, PCV’s, work to help improve tm’s through conversations and documentation, submit action plans on how to fix areas with opportunities, deal with AP issues, doing anything that requires a key, all problems in the building (ex: freezers not working - who you gonna call).
Do what you were hired for and stop comparing unless you are looking to promote and are wondering what is involved.
Between you and me : the pressure and responsibility isn’t worth it.

Anyone who has been in retail for any length of time knows there is lots to do that isn’t ‘seen’ but is necessary to a smooth running store.
An ETL must first answer to the SD demands, whatever they may be: run something, do something, fix something, prove something.
An ETL is responsible for doing no tasks BUT they are ACCOUNTABLE for all results. They need to reach goals in 13 metrics Each week. They need to ensure all tm’s scheduled that day are productive and where they are needed. Fix issues tm run into, satisfy angry Karen’s, interview, complete Audit, PCV’s, work to help improve tm’s through conversations and documentation, submit action plans on how to fix areas with opportunities, deal with AP issues, doing anything that requires a key, all problems in the building (ex: freezers not working - who you gonna call).
Do what you were hired for and stop comparing unless you are looking to promote and are wondering what is involved.
Between you and me : the pressure and responsibility isn’t worth it.

You didn't mention managing TLs. I work more with TMS than I've ever seen an ETL do (yes even the extremely good ones) Its my job to execute the plan and my ETL to ensure its followed or help navigate any issues.

i was without an ETL for over two months and let me tell you: they aren't useless. it was hell and i'm grateful that my ETL is in role even though he's kind of a dick sometimes.

@Far from newbie Thank you for the clarification. Again, I wasn’t being snarky. However, every retail store I’ve worked in I at least saw my manager at least once throughout the day. That was all I was asking.
With that said, if she is pulled in so many directions, then it looks like she needs me! I’d love to make her job easier and our metrics better.

@Far from newbie Thank you for the clarification. Again, I wasn’t being snarky. However, every retail store I’ve worked in I at least saw my manager at least once throughout the day. That was all I was asking.
With that said, if she is pulled in so many directions, then it looks like she needs me! I’d love to make her job easier and our metrics better.
Just push, please.

Right now ETLs are ensuring that the store runs as smoothly as possible day to day while they’re also planning bounce back in January. There will be a lot of recovery from the holidays - price changes, revisions, new sets, all of the returns, plus deciding which seasonal TMs will be kept on and who’s being let go. They’re juggling several “tasks” everyday to make your job easier. Maybe when you go to break or lunch swing by their office to say hi and ask how their day is going or how their day off was. They might be the upper echelon at the store but they’re still human the same as us, and they do enjoy a friendly smile and greeting. Just try to remember that they’re the umbrella that keeps the shitstorm from raining on us. Even the worst executives get it significantly worse than we do.

Mine does a lot of keeping the SD from winding up the team.

Often does little tasks all day so the rest of us can focus on bigger stuff.

I’m new and still love it here at T. However, some days (like today) where I’m buried in uboats of stock, repacks and reshops. Never have I seen my ETL on the floor ready to work shoulder to shoulder with me.
I come from a previous retailer where the leaders did the same work as the associates, plus more. Just curious why that isn’t the case here.
Are they swamped with paperwork or something?
Inquiring minds want to know!

Virtually Nothing that justifies their pay grade. Yes "M" , you are right : in other retail setups they have to pull their weight many times over. But here these light weights cannot pull even their own dead weights. These Glorified clerks cannot even do minimal clerical functions. They are abysmal failures with people, projects, processes, policies and very definitely with making money for the store- And customers one on one : zero Intrapersonal or interpersonal skills! Which truth be told is what T is all about. Simply : They cannot perform tasks -cannot execute. Period. They are hired by level above the store to help the store director. In turn he/she has them to blame for they lack of any capacity...any wherewithal. They have no intrinsic or extrinsic capacity. What can you expect of poor achievers that they are modeling themselves after other poor achievers in their lives. Result: They drain they place from what it could do .
This is a position that by its poor hiring standards is set up to fail. And it does and will …...….Until the model as M says is brought into effect ** where they are required to perform as in other retail business models.
T is young …...…......….but this ETL position in it present state of Poor functioning is already an anachronism.
You might say T is very successful. Hogwash ! It is like saying a Millionaire is rich ......In relation to what ?.. A Pauper. The day of Millionaires being rich is history***.
Not until Mega Millions...A Billionaine at least . Any Company that is complacent with it belief that "enough is good" will be a has been.
ETLs are the Flipside of Excellence that is otherwise what is required of them.
Enough said

** In some Pilot Stores where they (should be, if Not already ) asked to perform incrementally as Leaders or managers in other retail business do at first and the effort fleshed out to fulfill a Full functioning role …… simple as do or don't and that would separate the men and women from the boys and girls...…… But would that happen and CAN that happen .
Perhaps NOT . The reason lies in T hiring a low functioning milieu as that is what they really want with the Low low pay and compensation. "All the better my Dear, to keep you under my wing " says the Big red hen .

*** A once household name Eastman Kodak is a has been . No body under 30, Okay 20 , would even know of their name .( what , after more than a hundred years?!) They lost the Imaging 'space'.

If you cannot move forward you are left behind ….The Big Bulls eye gets smaller and smaller in ones vision.
You don't want that to happen . ( I hope!) . We don't want that to happen. I don't want that to happen ( I know !). Providence may be the Answer. And I believe in Providence . Lets hope........And the Answer my friend is in Making It happen. I hope for T that the powers that are (or be) Make it happen.. But pulling their heads out of the sand ...................... And the ostrich lives .................Can even even strut , dance and thrive ( yeah, multiply ! )

Last edited:
Back