What Does An ETL Do All Day?

Planosss: You are the proverbial" kid who sits in his or her others basement, behind the security of your screen" knocking down people like "M" or anyone else who has something to say …..because you have nothing redeeming to say . sad. ( but that is the proverbial kid with the computer in the basement . trolling others or just trying to get a rise out of your posters . Oh well . It takes looking at your "contra-indicative " posts to appreciate others. Thanks ( though Sad to say , but thanks ). ciao

Virtually Nothing that justifies their pay grade. Yes "M" , you are right : in other retail setups they have to pull their weight many times over. But here these light weights cannot pull even their own dead weights. These Glorified clerks cannot even do minimal clerical functions. They are abysmal failures with people, projects, processes, policies and very definitely with making money for the store- And customers one on one : zero Intrapersonal or interpersonal skills! Which truth be told is what T is all about. Simply : They cannot perform tasks -cannot execute. Period. They are hired by level above the store to help the store director. In turn he/she has them to blame for they lack of any capacity...any wherewithal. They have no intrinsic or extrinsic capacity. What can you expect of poor achievers that they are modeling themselves after other poor achievers in their lives. Result: They drain they place from what it could do .
This is a position that by its poor hiring standards is set up to fail. And it does and will …...….Until the model as M says is brought into effect ** where they are required to perform as in other retail business models.
T is young …...…......….but this ETL position in it present state of Poor functioning is already an anachronism.
You might say T is very successful. Hogwash ! It is like saying a Millionaire is rich ......In relation to what ?.. A Pauper. The day of Millionaires being rich is history***.
Not until Mega Millions...A Billionaine at least . Any Company that is complacent with it belief that "enough is good" will be a has been.
ETLs are the Flipside of Excellence that is otherwise what is required of them.
Enough said

** In some Pilot Stores where they (should be, if Not already ) asked to perform incrementally as Leaders or managers in other retail business do at first and the effort fleshed out to fulfill a Full functioning role …… simple as do or don't and that would separate the men and women from the boys and girls...…… But would that happen and CAN that happen .
Perhaps NOT . The reason lies in T hiring a low functioning milieu as that is what they really want with the Low low pay and compensation. "All the better my Dear, to keep you under my wing " says the Big red hen .

*** A once household name Eastman Kodak is a has been . No body under 30, Okay 20 , would even know of their name .( what , after more than a hundred years?!) They lost the Imaging 'space'.

If you cannot move forward you are left behind ….The Big Bulls eye gets smaller and smaller in ones vision.
You don't want that to happen . ( I hope!) . We don't want that to happen. I don't want that to happen ( I know !). Providence may be the Answer. And I believe in Providence . Lets hope........And the Answer my friend is in Making It happen. I hope for T that the powers that are (or be) Make it happen.. But pulling their heads out of the sand ...................... And the ostrich lives .................Can even even strut , dance and thrive ( yeah, multiply ! )

youre not supposed to drink the bong water my friend

Well so I busting my butt!
I need a real answer.

That is the real answer friendo. Corporate doesn't let them do anything, just ask them. "Sorry, nothing I can do about that." As an ETL you could certainly choose to risk corporate's wrath by helping your two-person army with their truck push BUT in real life what you're really gonna do is throw a bomb ass exclusive banquet in the training room before hitting the ATM on the way home. It really and truly do be like that, tho

I've had great etl's and bad etl's. The great etl's aren't just the ones who work the hardest, they are realists. I've had some horrific etl's who can't do the simplest things. The worst of the worst are the ones who know nothing about your job but still want to tell you how to do it.

I'd say the overall quality of etl's is the same as 15 years ago.

Kudos to my last two log etls though. Both have been amazing.

It must be nice to be in a store with ETL(s), emphasis on the plural. We have 1, and they're not very good at doing anything particularly well. So, there is no other ETL to lean on when one of them sucks. Which makes my job infinity more demanding. I make base for a TL, which only adds to the struggles.

I was hired to be a TL, but because of Modernization and the increased base pay, I'm also expected to be a lite-version ETL. I was barely trained to be a TL. This company hires people, but puts very little resources into properly training or supporting them while they learn. I spent the last 6 months tripping over my two clumbsy feet until I learned to walk on my own. I was not supported well by my incompetent ETL. The SD tried, but they were struggling from the other side of my poorly performing ETL.

No store should have to endure life with one ETL.

I’m new and still love it here at T. However, some days (like today) where I’m buried in uboats of stock, repacks and reshops. Never have I seen my ETL on the floor ready to work shoulder to shoulder with me.
I come from a previous retailer where the leaders did the same work as the associates, plus more. Just curious why that isn’t the case here.
Are they swamped with paperwork or something?
Inquiring minds want to know!

It depends on the store culture and the ETL. In my store, all the ETLs, TLs, and even my Store Director are out there on the floor pushing with us throughout the day. Sometimes they're in the back helping with the unload, or organizing the backroom. Of course, it's not all they do, but I'm proud to say mine bust their asses, it makes how demanding my SD is much more bearable.

I've had one ETL who was good and could have been great, but that was during the old LOD rotation and they were rarely with us.
I've had one ETL who was so horrible I left my old store because of them; they were more interested in throwing their fresh-out-of-college weight around than doing any work. The Sr. GSTL (when Sr. was still a position) did the majority of the ETL;s job for them.
I've had one ETL who was super-nice, but more interested in hanging around their office than doing much work and who had a bad tendency to play favorites. They were termed.,
Newish ETL isn't new to the company, is strict but fair. They can be a bit harsh but I don't mind because the other side of that is this: if there's an issue they can also be depended on to help/guide.

Job descriptions aside, I think this is an ASANTS/ALANTS (all leaders are not the same) question that won't have one answer.

Remember that ETLs are not there to do the work. Yes, they are expected to do some "work" as you put it, but a majority of their time is supposed to be spent "leading." It takes time to look over transitions and come up with action plans. To forecast merchandise movement and develop action plans to work around it. Then take 15 call outs. Meanwhile, deal with a guest yelling loudly at the back of your deaf employee. Notice the empty endcaps 15 seconds before a superior and have an action plan ready. Know what merchandise is in the backroom, and where it is roughly located, so you can quickly put said plan into action. Get stopped by 20 guests on your way to deal with a person that claims they "slipped and got injured" on the dry floor. Help a vendor pissed because something else got into their paid space. Deal with food inspections. All this in the first hour of your shift.

And yes, all this happened to me in one hour of one day while I was an ETL. I hated retail and was glad to move on.

Remember that ETLs are not there to do the work. Yes, they are expected to do some "work" as you put it, but a majority of their time is supposed to be spent "leading." It takes time to look over transitions and come up with action plans. To forecast merchandise movement and develop action plans to work around it. Then take 15 call outs. Meanwhile, deal with a guest yelling loudly at the back of your deaf employee. Notice the empty endcaps 15 seconds before a superior and have an action plan ready. Know what merchandise is in the backroom, and where it is roughly located, so you can quickly put said plan into action. Get stopped by 20 guests on your way to deal with a person that claims they "slipped and got injured" on the dry floor. Help a vendor pissed because something else got into their paid space. Deal with food inspections. All this in the first hour of your shift.

And yes, all this happened to me in one hour of one day while I was an ETL. I hated retail and was glad to move on.

And if you are anything like most managers you wind up going to more damn meeting then anyone should ever have to in a life time.
Never become a manager if you have ADHD because the meetings will kill you.
If you aren't there in person, you have to hang out on the phone or whatever program they are using to meet through the computer.
Fucking interminable.

My ETL is awesome! Constantly working to help us out

My ETL is awesome! Constantly working to help us out
I help out the team so much I have to do all ‘paperwork’ and ‘planning’ at home. Anything than can be done away from store, at least 20 hours extra per week at home to make up for all the interruptions during the day from tm’s and vendors while in the store.

Most of this was in my responsibities as a Presentation Team Leader before modernization. Not the responsibility of my ETL. She spent most of her time developing the Flow TL because he wasn't very good.

I help out the team so much I have to do all ‘paperwork’ and ‘planning’ at home. Anything than can be done away from store, at least 20 hours extra per week at home to make up for all the interruptions during the day from tm’s and vendors while in the store.
Exactly why I hated being on salary at my old job and would never take another salaried position. Even hourly managers have too much stress, but at least they get paid while on the clock, and if they are smart they would not work one minute off the clock.

Back