Archived What does an ETL have to do to get fired?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so glad to be ULV so there are less of us to keep track of when we leave after closing. I cannot imagine being locked in the store. What do you even do at that point?

We had an ETL who locked a Tm in...tm called 911...somehow that ETL is now a STL...

I'm so glad to be ULV so there are less of us to keep track of when we leave after closing. I cannot imagine being locked in the store. What do you even do at that point?

My store is an overnight store, so if someone got locked in, they wouldn't be alone, but it would still be a colossal pain because the overnight LOD would have to either disarm the building(!) or keep the TM until the flow team's break a couple hours later(!).

Yep, if you get locked in then look for the book that has all the emergency numbers (these books are in just about every department) and there should be a non-emergency number for the local police department.

You can clock back in and work overnight zoning or reshop.

You could call 911.

Or....just leave the building through an emergency/fire exit. The police will be there soon enough and you'd be long gone! I think that this would be the most efficient way to go!

One time when we were closing there was a TM who had gone into the bathroom to change clothes. When we were leaving we had all figured that this TM was gone. Well....surprise, surprise as we were all going to our cars we realized that there was one car too many. Then for some reason a TM looked back at the store and this TM was pounding at the front doors. We all laughed and the LOD did go to let the TM out.

I have known two ETLs who were termed due to fraudulently adjusting TMs punch times. One to give the TM an hour of unworked time and the second to trim time from his flow teams hours worked.

Yep, if you get locked in then look for the book that has all the emergency numbers (these books are in just about every department) and there should be a non-emergency number for the local police department.

You can clock back in and work overnight zoning or reshop.

You could call 911.

Or....just leave the building through an emergency/fire exit. The police will be there soon enough and you'd be long gone! I think that this would be the most efficient way to go!

One time when we were closing there was a TM who had gone into the bathroom to change clothes. When we were leaving we had all figured that this TM was gone. Well....surprise, surprise as we were all going to our cars we realized that there was one car too many. Then for some reason a TM looked back at the store and this TM was pounding at the front doors. We all laughed and the LOD did go to let the TM out.

I thought about option three, but I'm sure AP would review the tape and then they'd be upset you hadn't stuck around to explain the situation.

Wait one minute? Why do I hear the alarm going off at gs? Looking at the Lod, did you ck green doors? It must be green doors? Did the market guy sneak off early again? Yes, he did. He didn't tell anyone. He will get a talking too.

Last edited:
This happened to me my first year at Target. I was a cashier and had no equipment doing reshop after the store closed. (Back when we were scheduled to 10:45). I realized I was alone and went up front and discovered everyone gone. I quickly punched out and got my stuff and found myself in the entryway just as the ETL was locking the building. She was furious with me and I told her that no one had told me it was time to go. *sigh*

After that, I always made sure to be around someone with a walkie and told other cashiers to do the same. How hard is it to make an announcement over the intercom? Sheesh.

We had a SL-TL who always would say to sf tms with walkies to "hug a cashier". In other words stay close so they know when it's time. I've had closing lods actually announce on the overhead to go up front for the ones without walkies.

I've had closing lods actually announce on the overhead to go up front for the ones without walkies.

A) There's no reason WHATSOEVER for any closing LOD to ever NOT do this. Frankly, it ought to be required as a best practice.

B) There's no reason WHATSOEVER for any closing LOD to ever HAVE to do this. If you can't keep track of who's in the building, you shouldn't be running it.

A) There's no reason WHATSOEVER for any closing LOD to ever NOT do this. Frankly, it ought to be required as a best practice.

B) There's no reason WHATSOEVER for any closing LOD to ever HAVE to do this. If you can't keep track of who's in the building, you shouldn't be running it.

Winner here. My last store was ULV and the STL locked TM in. We only had 6 people closing, how can you not keep track of 6 people? Tho i hear she is no longer with Target any more.

From my experience, theft and leaving the money cart out of the cash office all night.

We had a SL-TL who always would say to sf tms with walkies to "hug a cashier". In other words stay close so they know when it's time. I've had closing lods actually announce on the overhead to go up front for the ones without walkies.

as I am heading out I always make sure the TL or LOD knows who is on the floor without a walkie. We had one LOD lock a team member in at least once and another one who forgot to lock the doors...only one is on final as far as I know. But because of the one who locked the team member in they all do some form of a headcheck. Overhead, roll call, and all ask us to tell somebody if we are leaving between close and the scheduled leave time. I have never seen a ETL get fired....plenty leave and I will be so sad to see the one leave after the 4th quarter as he gets his own store.

...Followed by my frantically muttered thank yous.

To be fair, it should be noted that this is 20-year-old, on-a-scale-of-1-to-10-she's-about-a-16 Jennifer Connelly. Not that she's a troll nowadays or anything, but back then? Ridiculous.

To be fair, it should be noted that this is 20-year-old, on-a-scale-of-1-to-10-she's-about-a-16 Jennifer Connelly. Not that she's a troll nowadays or anything, but back then? Ridiculous.

Now you'd be likely to have a night like this.

Last edited:
One time awhile ago, when we had near double the closers, a soft lines TM got locked in. She said she was just putting away clothes in the back of the store and no one ever said anything over the walkie or anything. She eventually found out she was the only one, so she called the police department and they told her to just walk out the emergency exit..so that's what she did.

Now they always call it on the intercom, as well as do a head count before letting anyone out.

Lets see here...
I had an ETL who had relations with a TM in his office.
I had an ETL who lied to the STL about being the hospital for a NoShow to let Flow in. Then kept his store keys.
There was an ETL who was kicked out by his girlfriend. Then camped out in his office during store hours then slept in his car at night.
Had a STL make up false accusations about an ETL-HR was stealing a number of the Target Dog stuff toys.
Had another ETL that was given the choice: You can either end a relationship with a TL or quit your job. He quit his job.

I've been with Target a long time, and the for the past few years it seems it was pretty much a requirement to look like Ken or Barbie, fresh out of college, and ready to earn the big bucks.

I said ready, they may not have realized just how many hours they need to put in to make it all work.

They are almost always really tall too...you hardly ever see a short ETL or STL...anybody else notice this?

Lets see here...
I had an ETL who had relations with a TM in his office.
I had an ETL who lied to the STL about being the hospital for a NoShow to let Flow in. Then kept his store keys.
There was an ETL who was kicked out by his girlfriend. Then camped out in his office during store hours then slept in his car at night.
Had a STL make up false accusations about an ETL-HR was stealing a number of the Target Dog stuff toys.
Had another ETL that was given the choice: You can either end a relationship with a TL or quit your job. He quit his job.

We had an ETL fired because someone saw them at another store (not Target) walking around with a TM.....they were not "dating", just seen together in public
but that was enough to get the ETL fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back