Archived What does your store do with the temperature sensitive food guests don't want?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not that I don't care I should have worded it better I realize that, but to go all "What makes you so special." is a little much. Ironically I was getting my food training today and realize I was in the wrong, but unfortunately I can't finish as I have some kind of stomach bug and am going home.
Sadly we have to always err on the cautious side. People are no longer mostly good and you can't trust then to grab the cold stuff last.

Good luck with that stomach bug, there are some bad ones going around some areas.

Working in grocery stores in the past we used to put the food back if it was still cold and didn't leave the store. Returns were a different story. Don't know if they still do it that way. Looking back it probably would've been better to be safe than sorry and just toss it.

Target wants it done a certain way, it's their money, if they wanna throw it away let them. We had a guy come in a couple years ago right before closing to grab a gallon of milk. Got to the register and card got decline (lack of funds I'm assuming). Had to throw the milk away even though it was out for maybe 3 minutes. That to me was wasteful. But again it's Targets money to waste.

Working in grocery stores in the past we used to put the food back if it was still cold and didn't leave the store. Returns were a different story. Don't know if they still do it that way. Looking back it probably would've been better to be safe than sorry and just toss it..
At my other job in a grocery store, we put back cold stuff if its actually cold still (not cool, but COLD), and frozen stuff if it is still frozen. Anything questionable, we will damage out, or give it to the relevant department manager to decide. Most of our customers are in and out in under 30 minutes anyways.

But perishable returns we never put back...The worst part is around the holidays when people bring back entire turkeys or hams because someone else in the family had bought one already.

Nope. Ice creams internal temp will keep it pretty much frozen from the time a guess picks it up, keeps shopping and takes it home. Target stores aren't heated to the point where it'd go bad in a hour.
You've never been in my store then. The heat is turned up WAY too high.
Same here. Even in the winter, it's not unusual for us to be sweating.

At my other job in a grocery store, we put back cold stuff if its actually cold still (not cool, but COLD), and frozen stuff if it is still frozen. Anything questionable, we will damage out, or give it to the relevant department manager to decide. Most of our customers are in and out in under 30 minutes anyways.

But perishable returns we never put back...The worst part is around the holidays when people bring back entire turkeys or hams because someone else in the family had bought one already.

It is at this point where I beat the guest over the head with said turkey or ham.

I know this would never happen, and I know it's truly the stupidest idea to have, but I sometimes wish that Target had, in cases of like an entire turkey having to be QMOSed out, a contract where the guest signs and understands that what they are purchasing has been out of the freezer for an extended, unsafe period of time, and will not hold Target liable for any food poisoning that comes from it.

They then get to purchase it for 25% off. I just hate seeing an entire fucking bird go to waste.

Same here. Even in the winter, it's not unusual for us to be sweating.
One time we were having a heat wave during the summer and the air conditioning stopped working. It was over 90 degrees in the store. Luckily I was zoning chemicals, right next to the cool produce section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back