What even are team leads?

What do you guys consider team leads?

So usually in management, there is the General Manager, Assistant Manager/Managers, and then the supervisors under the assistant managers among other levels of leadership depending on the business.
With that being said if the Store Director is Target's version of the General Manager then that means the Executive Team Leaders are the Assistant Managers right?
If that's the case then are team leaders "supervisors" or also "Assistant Managers", or are they like the assistant managers to the assistant manager?

I personally consider Team Leads assistant managers to the assistant managers based on the work we're required to do as we don't just supervise people we full out manage team members from yearly reviews to attendance to coaching conversations to everything else team leads are required to do.

What's everyone else think on this?

What I can't figure is why anyone wants to be a TL in this environment.

We just had another inexperienced 19 year old transfer to another store to become a TL.

We had an ETL from our store transfer there a few months ago.

In the meantime that store lost FIVE TLs though IMHO it had nothing to do with my former ETL.

I think you answered your question. An inexperienced 19 year old has no idea what they signed up for. They haven't been in this game long enough to truly understand it. They think they're moving up the ladder quickly and are going to fix all the retail problems.

Oh, little do they know.....

Corp will bleed them dry and lie their nuts off with promises of advancement, security and success. A 19 yr old is a child. Thrown to the wolves on the cheap. Seasoned old SOB's such as myself and many others would walk out. I'd pay no attention to them if they were in the TL role. (how's that for a "targety" term role). I forgot more 45 years ago than they have ever learned. Tough approach, yes. Realistic, yes.

Corp will bleed them dry and lie their nuts off with promises of advancement, security and success. A 19 yr old is a child. Thrown to the wolves on the cheap. Seasoned old SOB's such as myself and many others would walk out. I'd pay no attention to them if they were in the TL role. (how's that for a "targety" term role). I forgot more 45 years ago than they have ever learned. Tough approach, yes. Realistic, yes.
If you're over 45 I'm surprised they haven't tried to term you...or have they...

I just quit. Didn't need the money or the insurance, have plenty of both. I like keeping busy but not at the expense of incredible bullshit, lies, ridiculous expectations and having to follow the leadership of a blithering idiot TL. More important things to do. It was fun at the beginning. There are some great stores and leaders out there, play the game, build a resume but don't let the bullshit get to you.

What I can't figure is why anyone wants to be a TL in this environment.

We just had another inexperienced 19 year old transfer to another store to become a TL.

We had an ETL from our store transfer there a few months ago.

In the meantime that store lost FIVE TLs though IMHO it had nothing to do with my former ETL.
I mean, in all fairness, I was a TL at 18. I consider it good experience.

Late to the party here, but there's also a difference between Leads and Leaders.

"Leads" are not usually responsible for any Team Members underneath them; like the PML - they're a Lead, but not a Leader.

Leaders on the other hand have "power" and responsibility for a Team.

I've been around the block, and I've been a supervisor before, basically the team lead role, with all the duties that come with it (coaching, attendance, reviews, etc). It really does sometimes feel like you're the person who takes all the heat, but at the same time, I feel like everyone up and down the chain feels the same way (maybe past the SD level, things are different). We've all got different pressures on us, and have to deal with problems both from above and below. I've decided to continue to climb because I figured hey, I've got to put in my time anyways. Why not get paid a little more for my troubles?

What do you guys consider team leads?

So usually in management, there is the General Manager, Assistant Manager/Managers, and then the supervisors under the assistant managers among other levels of leadership depending on the business.
With that being said if the Store Director is Target's version of the General Manager then that means the Executive Team Leaders are the Assistant Managers right?
If that's the case then are team leaders "supervisors" or also "Assistant Managers", or are they like the assistant managers to the assistant manager?

I personally consider Team Leads assistant managers to the assistant managers based on the work we're required to do as we don't just supervise people we full out manage team members from yearly reviews to attendance to coaching conversations to everything else team leads are required to do.

What's everyone else think on this?
SD - store manager
ETL - assistant store manager
TL - floor supervisor

Back